Zorin OS 12 Ultimate - The Good the Bad and the Fugly.

Re: Zorin OS 12 Ultimate - The Good the Bad and the Fugly.

Postby MBMz10 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Well Mate was not really my Mate and I found Cinnamon a little bitter also :D
Every attempt to use another desktop environment seems to bring its own 'theming'. Zorin theming has always been one reason I liked using it.
So until I learn how to do it as good as the Zorin team I think I'll just have to put up and shut up.

As far as your USB 3 drive goes, if it is one of those laptop HDD's in a small 'case' with a cable? I've had similar and thought the drive was dying but when I removed the actual drive from the case all was good with it. I found those cases on Ebay for about $5 and problem solved. There is a tiny PCB (Printed Circuit Board) inside the case and mine was 'flakey'.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
MBMz10

Postby Del369 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:14 am

No my HDD is a Toshiba 3tb Canvio Store, horrible thing in a big black box with no on or off switch, I had the same issue with it right through 14.04 (Zorin 9) there's definitely something flaky about something in it but apart from this it actually seems ok, it's been my main backup store for almost 3 years now.

Glad to hear your sticking with Zorin and I agree the theming is excellent and once you get used to the quirks (of Ubuntu mainly) and keep regular backups the rest is a great experience, so glad I lost my Win7 install a few years ago and got pushed into Zorin :)
I'm no expert I tend to go on hunches and hail Mary's that sometimes go horribly wrong, so follow any advice of mine at your own risk :)

MSI Krait Gaming Z270 Mobo, I5, 32Gb DDR4, NVidia GEForce GTX 1060 6GB.
Del369

Postby MBMz10 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:32 am

I just 'youtubed' your USB drive, seems like a common problem. Also looking at the size of the case it may well have 3.5" HDD inside. Seems like a few people have prized open the case and put the drive into there PC and got it working.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
MBMz10

Postby Del369 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:32 pm

MBMz10 wrote:I just 'youtubed' your USB drive, seems like a common problem. Also looking at the size of the case it may well have 3.5" HDD inside. Seems like a few people have prized open the case and put the drive into there PC and got it working.

Hmm, I've Googled it lots, came across something that eluded to doing that a while ago and figured if it ain't really broke lets just not fix it 'just yet' but something I don't use enough is YouTube for fixing issues, funnily enough I have a colleague that swears by it so thanks for the reminder MBM I'll certainly have a look into that.
I'm no expert I tend to go on hunches and hail Mary's that sometimes go horribly wrong, so follow any advice of mine at your own risk :)

Del369

Postby star treker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:04 am

Sorry I missed your question before, I've been busy going down with the sinking ship called Zorin. Nope I no longer have any love towards Zorin, my installation has turned into puke. And it so putrid that I don't even want to boot into it anymore unless I have to. I am currently running in USB live mode of the Makulu Lindoz BETA OS. There are always advantages and disadvantages of going with other operating system. But I just want an OS that looks good and doesn't puke all over the place. And if your wondering about that Beta, well, there is going to be a full release coming soon, and then I will be running a new full installation after that.
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby Del369 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:26 pm

star treker wrote:Sorry I missed your question before, I've been busy going down with the sinking ship called Zorin. Nope I no longer have any love towards Zorin, my installation has turned into puke. And it so putrid that I don't even want to boot into it anymore unless I have to. I am currently running in USB live mode of the Makulu Lindoz BETA OS. There are always advantages and disadvantages of going with other operating system. But I just want an OS that looks good and doesn't puke all over the place. And if your wondering about that Beta, well, there is going to be a full release coming soon, and then I will be running a new full installation after that.

That's a shame Star I'm still loving mine even if it is a wild horse ride sometimes, I find 12 (16.04) way more stable than 9 (14.04) and another plus I used to get these hard system lockups usually after the system had been up a few hours but they seem to have disappeared as well.
Good luck with Makulul it looks nice to :)

Del369

Postby star treker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:45 am

Hard drive lock ups are never a good thing. The first thing I would have suspected was my hard drive failing if my computer was doing that all the time. However, at the time that I was using a mechanical hard drive, I was also on Windows 7, and that installation after 4 years went bad, I was getting BSOD's all the time, and never could track down the problem. Then things got worse with program faults to add on top of it. I bought a new SSD drive thinking that maybe the 4 year old mechanical drive was dying, even though the smart info showed ok. I wanted a faster hard drive anyways so it was ok in the end. I then realized that as much as Microsoft loves to blame every BSOD on a virus or hardware, I infact had NO virus's, and my hardware ended up being ok. I know this because when I put Zorin OS 9 on it, all the sudden the computer ran flawlessly, and I was like, OK, I get it, Microsoft is a douche lol.

I then later ran into the boot partition size limmitation issue in regards to updates, that was an issue with OS 9. With OS 12, my computer crashed right away on the desktop. After a restart, I got all the updates for the OS. The computer seemed to go longer without a crash but eventually crashed again, it wasn't till more updates were released, that the crashes stopped. My installation after that was actually running pretty smooth until I installed the Nvidia drivers, then it all went apes***. Like Swarf said, login screen gets all messed up, Zorin desktop gets screwed up and reset, and you gotta turn the extensions back on, again, an OS that pukes.

So far, I've been having good luck with Makulu just running in live mode. Yes I have encountered a few bugs but thats cause its a BETA, you can't expect perfection from a Beta. However, I will say this, the BETA has not crashed once, where as Zorin crashed multiple times on a full release/full installation. I was curious, have you tried any other Linux based OS before trying Zorin? When I left Windows I went straight to Zorin. What little prior experience I have with Linux is irrelevant, because my experience dates as far back as Mandrake from 2004. And let me tell you what Mandrake stands for in 2004, a real pain in the a** LOL
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby Swarfendor437 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:01 pm

OK, you have highlighted a major issue and that is (whilst I am not denying, gnome shell is noted for its sluggishness) proprietary drivers are half the problem - read those screenshots I put up from SolydX at Welcome time and you get a clearer picture. There was one distro I really liked and that was UltimateEditionOz Diamond BII with a voice that welcomed you at the prompt "Welcome, please identify yourself" and once logged in, a really cool entrance sound - pity the exit sound never worked as everyone these days wants a fast shut down. The main issue with it for me was that it gave the impression it was Intel-centric as most of the updates were Intel related!
I am experiencing shortage of space myself on SolydX - why? Because I think I have screwed the Partition Table/MBR - my various folders in /home are only reporting 15 Gb of space left - why? because somehow my /home folder is getting redirected to '/' - I have never had to us FSTAB - guess that is something else I am going to have to learn! LOL!
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby Del369 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Well guys, before Zorin I was just Windows, I did install Ubuntu proper back in 14.04 and one of the other popular distros can't remember which as I ditched it when I realised sudo apt-get was something different and I was still a complete n00b and really didn't need that on top of all the rest of the learning :mrgreen: and Ubuntu proper I just found to blocky and clunky, nope I'm a very grateful and extremely happy Zorin fanboi :)

Swarf I had to get passed all that this time round, I was trying to resize my / folder and my live session rebooted half way through the process, i reinstalled completely with desired sizes and luckily I'd made some complete system restore points with Systemback, Timeshift restores failed (must have been because of the different partition sizes) but Systemback restored the previous setup royally and it's been ok ever since, now I'm backing up using both of them just in case of nasty suprises :)

Del369

Previous

Return to Feedback