Zorin OS 12 Ultimate - The Good the Bad and the Fugly.

Re: Zorin OS 12 Ultimate - The Good the Bad and the Fugly.

Postby Del369 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:28 am

Ha that's awesome, guess what? I get those same wierd f*!%^$#d up graphics as well (NVidia 750 TI) and to be honest I have no issue with them, I know what they are and for me they are just a part of starting up, but look at the positive you bit the bullet and it worked, so what about taking a risk and trying the 375 drivers? (or 370) then you will eliminate that tearing issue to :mrgreen:
You mentioned something about the cursor and icons? I was getting a super sized cursor which looked ridiculous if that's what you mean let me know I found a fix for that.
Otherwise I'd say try this a while you'll love it, oh and by the way you can enable Mate desktop in OS-12 :)
I'm no expert I tend to go on hunches and hail Mary's that sometimes go horribly wrong, so follow any advice of mine at your own risk :)

MSI Krait Gaming Z270 Mobo, I5, 32Gb DDR4, NVidia GEForce GTX 1060 6GB.
Del369

Postby MBMz10 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 am

How does one enable Mate desktop?
Sounds a little 'posh' for an aussie, in Linux it is ma tae or however they say it, but to an Australian it is Mate, like Gidday Mate how's it going. Couldn't help myself sorry.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
MBMz10

Postby star treker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Crickey, look at the size of her, she's a big sheela, and you don't wanna mess with her babies, otherwise she will turn around and you will loose something important to you. She's looking at me, she is showing me that she is the boss. :D

Sorry, I just had to, cause I love Steve Irwin and I miss him a lot. I enjoyed Crocadile Dundee too, but difference is Steve Irwin was real, Dundee was just a story.
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby Del369 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:05 am

MBMz10 wrote:How does one enable Mate desktop?
Sounds a little 'posh' for an aussie, in Linux it is ma tae or however they say it, but to an Australian it is Mate, like Gidday Mate how's it going. Couldn't help myself sorry.

Ok so , the question made me realise I couldn't remember, as it turns out it's a setting in Compiz (search Mate) and it's actually enable "Mate Compatibility" to do this you have to disable Gnome Compatibility, well long story short, did this plus found a link and installed Mate 1.14 and rebooted, this part went fine and I saw no change to my desktop, then I found a link that let you install the complete Mate Desktop Environment, big mistake after a reboot I ended up with my old friend the login screen, blah blah blah Timeshift and home, except I found that Mate Compatibility fixed an issue I had with 2 VPN instances listed not showing the VPN lock when one is activated, so I've kept that enabled, but alas Mate desktop looks to be out of (my) range just now.

I also found that Ubuntu Tweak and Clocks also both cause a nasty visit to the login screen, but that's another story :)
I'm no expert I tend to go on hunches and hail Mary's that sometimes go horribly wrong, so follow any advice of mine at your own risk :)

Del369

Postby star treker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:25 am

Either you run Zorin, or you run Mate, you can't run them both on top of each other. Now you could dual boot if your smart enough to figure out how to set that complicated mess up, I am not smart enough, lol. If I want to put Mate on my machine, I will wipe Zorin off of it first before installing Mate. Gotta love it when an error pops up showing Zorin's incompitance to function with the newer video driver. lol Yes yes I know Swarf, you told me to disable the popup errors twice now. But the only reason I don't is because I feel that somehow things won't get fixed unless I report those errors, so its my way of giving to the community.

Ya, giving as in, your OS malfunctions, fix it! jk LOL Anyways, for the most part the system seems to be functioning despite the occasional error. Truth is, I haven't had a perfectly running OS since Windows XP and thats saying something. So eventually when I get tired of those system errors on Zorin because it don't want to cooperate with the video driver, then I will toss it away and install Mate.
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby MBMz10 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:53 am

Cheers Del369. I have been experimenting with Cairo Dock and Compiz myself, not a fan of this Gnome Desktop, Compiz and Cairo have spoiled me from Zorin OS 8, 9,10 and 11.
MBMz10

Postby Swarfendor437 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Well you can get 'half-a-Mate' by installing Cinammon DE so you have yet another DE to choose from on that cog once installed. I haven't yet tried this in Zorin 12 but it worked in 9 and 11. ;) :D

How to here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795#p48996

Screenshots (of Cinammon DE on Zorin 11) here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795&start=10#p48998
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby Del369 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:46 pm

MBMz10 wrote:Cheers Del369. I have been experimenting with Cairo Dock and Compiz myself, not a fan of this Gnome Desktop, Compiz and Cairo have spoiled me from Zorin OS 8, 9,10 and 11.

Well the post I lost yesterday went into a bit of detail, so here are the highlights, after enabling Mate compatibility in Compiz I found this:-

MATE Desktop 1.14 for Ubuntu MATE 16.04

After a reboot nothing seemed to change but it did stay up and survived a reboot.

I think mine screwed up later because I gave the command to install the full desktop environment but was missing the full Mate 1.16 installation package.

Del369

Postby MBMz10 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:13 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well you can get 'half-a-Mate' by installing Cinammon DE so you have yet another DE to choose from on that cog once installed. I haven't yet tried this in Zorin 12 but it worked in 9 and 11. ;) :D

How to here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795#p48996

Screenshots (of Cinammon DE on Zorin 11) here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795&start=10#p48998

From memory Cinnamon doesn't play well with Compiz, least not the cube I think.
I installed 'Mate DE' yesterday but again all the Zorin theming was gone similar to what happens logging into Cairo Dock DE on OS 12.
Might have a Cinnamon day today and see what happens.
MBMz10

Postby Del369 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Well my USB3 hard drive has out of the blue decided not to be discovered on boot 'most of the time' and sometimes it's just there again, which is really weird, oh and I've noticed strange white screen flashes occasionally (seems to be known and although unsettling not destructive so far) for the rest I'm still enjoying the 16.04 ride.

Star did you ever switch off those error messages and learn to love again? or do you remain bitter and dejected :mrgreen:

and MBM how's your experience going? did the Mate experiment or the Cinnamon day pay off?

Del369

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback