Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta Feedback

Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta Feedback

Postby AZorin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 am

Today we've launched the Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta. This release introduces a new lightweight desktop environment based on XFCE, powering a more familiar and consistent experience.
You can learn more about what's new here: http://zoringroup.com/blog/2017/06/12/z ... -for-lite/

You can download the Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta from here: https://zorinos.com/download/12/lite/beta/

We would love to hear your feedback on what we've created so far. Feel free to post here your thoughts from using the Beta, bug reports and suggestions of what you would like us to improve even further for the final release.
Lead Developer of Zorin OS
AZorin
Site Admin

Re: Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta Feedback

Postby Hensyr Wolf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for your good work in the release for Zorin OS 12.1 Lite beta.
After install and a few times restarted the os everything works splendid.

However there is one big problem, i can't have updates!
I change the update server from Belgium to mainserver but the problem remain.
I can't have updates

The reason is given: check your internet connection
But i have a good internet connection
What gould be the problem?
Want to know more about Zorin OS in Dutch please click this link: Dutch Zorin OS
Hensyr Wolf

Postby Hensyr Wolf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi there me again,
I was to fast, the problem was on my computer.
The dns server was wrong and is been fixed.

Now i can have updates.
Want to know more about Zorin OS in Dutch please click this link: Dutch Zorin OS
Hensyr Wolf

Postby MBMz10 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Looks great as usual, just in a virtual machine so far but it was very snappy fast, I was impressed for a VM.
Only run it for about 10 or 15 minutes, boots up at around 380MB RAM. Looking forward to the other variants when they release.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
MBMz10

Postby rudolfus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 pm

May I call it 'Zorin OS 12 Late'? I had a glimpse, tried it and went to the wired connection immediately to have this crucial test... and yes, what I feared and expected: No internet connection! On my multiboot 4 types of Linux share one internal and 2 external disks: Manjaro LXDE, Lubuntu 17.04, Zorin Os 9 Lite and MX-16.1. They all work perfectly. Not even a small hesitation. But all the Ubuntus (Mint, Bodhi... Zorin) from late 2016 on have the same problem on my computer: the internet connection doesn't work. And there is this other problem: Wine 1.6.2! I bag your pardon! Manjaro loads wine 2.8, the Debian built MX-16.1 is not that fast but comes with 2.3 already. 1.6.2 is an antiquity. I guess, I am more happy now with what I already have. Thank you for that.
rudolfus

Postby MBMz10 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:13 am

Bug Report!

Cant access sound settings. Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta 64 bit

Clicking the sound/volume icon in the panel and choose sound settings nothing happens. I have sound in my VM, still no settings though and in a hardware install I have sound out via headphone socket but not HDMI and again can not access settings to change and same in live session mode.
Live session on an old laptop is same, sound via inbuilt speakers but no settings access.
Where sound is present rolling mouse wheel on icon or adjusting the slider works to change volume.

Edit: ran in terminal 'pavucontrol' and it opened the sound settings, made changes and now have HDMI sound but still unable to open sound settings from the sound icon on the panel.
Last edited by MBMz10 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
MBMz10

Postby MBMz10 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:31 am

Suggestion for final release. COMPIZ please.

Really missing the cube, expo and the other eyecandy as well as the functionality that these and other Compiz features give. I realise that Compiz may create extra overhead on a 'Lite' version so even if some way of installing/configuring or separate Desktop Environment to login to, even instructions how to do this would be good as each time I try I loose the awesome Zorin theming. This was what drew me to Zorin from version 8 and Ultimate user in 9 10 and 11. As Zorin was one of very few Disto's running Compiz it also set Zorin apart IMHO!
MBMz10

Postby Swarfendor437 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 pm

MBMz10 wrote:Suggestion for final release. COMPIZ please.

Really missing the cube, expo and the other eyecandy as well as the functionality that these and other Compiz features give. I realise that Compiz may create extra overhead on a 'Lite' version so even if some way of installing/configuring or separate Desktop Environment to login to, even instructions how to do this would be good as each time I try I loose the awesome Zorin theming. This was what drew me to Zorin from version 8 and Ultimate user in 9 10 and 11. As Zorin was one of very few Disto's running Compiz it also set Zorin apart IMHO!

You may like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIH8bDMbsHg

https://sourceforge.net/projects/makulu/files/Flash/
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby ian4238 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:53 pm

I ran this for about 2 hours from live DVD without any real problems, and speaking as a complete amateur, was quite impressed. I noticed I could not set the correct timezone - it was set to "etc/UTC". I suppose if the OS was installed it would automatically find my time zone anyway. I didn't check the 'sound' situation as I am a little deaf and didn't think of it. 'Settings' is pretty comprehensive compared to Ultimate. 'Software' took too long to pull up list of installed items, but again if installed I am sure it would be quick. A further minor annoyance was that when you hover the mouse over icons in the panel, you mostly don't get a description. After I opened Chromium and Geary a description popped up once then disappeared again. The exceptions were "Computer" and "Clock" where the description came up every time.
Another little quirk was with the Zorin Web Browser Manager, where the program opened at the bottom of the screen, and only the top three items could be seen. I looked to see if I could reposition it, but failed.
I like the new Lite. I have Linux Lite installed on my Notebook, and Zorin Ultimate on my desktop, but I find this new Zorin XFCE very likeable. When all the various little problems are sorted out, I may use this as my main operating system.
ian4238

Postby vamsi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:17 pm

will i be able to update when final version releases by zorin from this beta version ?? :?: :?:
vamsi

Next

Return to Feedback