This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12.3 LIte feedback

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17:02 pm

Feedback your experiences of 12.3 Lite and Lite Ultimate here. ;)

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:20:36 pm

OK, just installed Zorin Lite 64-bit (Ultimate) on my rig that had 12.1 rolled up to 12.3 Ultimate 64-bit.

Observations: Chromium sucks big time - freezing on nearly every occasion I have used it in short space of install, hence I am writing this in Firefox!

Also Geary sucks in Zorin Lite (have not tried it in Core) as it looks appallingly like Outlook 365. Not only that it is unable to have weblinks shared to it, unlike Mozilla Thunderbird. I suggest that the Zorin team in future make Firefox and Thunderbird the 'de facto' Internet applications across all Zorin OS releases in future. :roll:

Also when in live mode the Software Updater indicates it is pointing to 'Main Server' but after installation it changes to your 'locale' server - change to 'Main Server' as soon as possible. I also got an update error suggesting partial upgrade - I don't know what went wrong but I got some index errors but eventually after several reboots and updates later I am now relatively happy! :P

No screenreader present in Accessibility - Core/Ultimate offers better accessibility options at the login screen.

LibreOffice Writer is not saving to 'Documents' folder but saving to '/home' folder!

Swarfendor437

Sun May 13, 2018 1:05:50 pm

Another disappointment with Parole Media Player - failed to play 'Sade - The Ultimate Collection' - can't read cdda file/s?
Time to install Clementine methinks - I wish they would make it the default audio player on all releases! :(

pcfan5

Mon May 21, 2018 2:29:30 am

Hello! I am so sorry I missed this post. because I was hopping to give my opinion, so I thank you very much for it.

I say the same about Chromium (by the way , the same happens under Core)
I don't like Parole, because of the CD issues and the way it works with files... Clementine is great, I know it from another distro , Will try soon in Lite and come back (if I forget please ask me ;) )
Regarding "Parole" as a simple quick Media Player I think is best one called "MP Player" (it is ment for gnome)

Regarding the "Mannager updates" I didn't notice that, so is good to know.
Regarding the "Software Mannager" it only gets full functionality after the first update (same happens in Core version)

Regardin the pictures viewer "Rissoleto" (will come back later if the name is written wrong) I preffer "Gnome Viewer" (which is the one that comes in Core )

I would love to have the chance to install "whats app" for linux application, but itsn't available in "Software"

I must be honest, Lite sometimes gets stuck in my machine, I can fix this by pressin F7 which gives me an option regarding mouse pointer and after cancelling that I can continue ussing my mouse.

I have 4 GB ram and my processor is Intel dual core Pentium E5300 .

Swarfendor437

Mon May 21, 2018 11:59:09 am

pcfan5 wrote:Hello! I am so sorry I missed this post. because I was hopping to give my opinion, so I thank you very much for it.

I say the same about Chromium (by the way , the same happens under Core)
I don't like Parole, because of the CD issues and the way it works with files... Clementine is great, I know it from another distro , Will try soon in Lite and come back (if I forget please ask me ;) )
Regarding Parole as a simple quick Media Player I think is best one called

Regarding the "Mannager updates" I didn't notice that, so is good to know.
Regarding the "Software Mannager" it only gets full functionality after the first update (same happens in Core version)

Regardin the pictures viewer "Rissoleto" (will come back later if the name is written wrong) I preffer "Gnome Viewer" (which is the one that comes in Core )

I would love to have the chance to install "whats app" for linux application, but itsn't available in "Software"

I must be honest, Lite sometimes gets stuck in my machine, I can fix this by pressin F7 which gives me an option regarding mouse pointer and after cancelling that I can continue ussing my mouse.

I have 4 GB ram and my processor is Intel dual core Pentium E5300 .

Hi, Glad it was not just me with Chromium and Parole. The image viewer is 'Ristretto' and the reason why Gnome Viewer is not present is because the DE is xfce! ;) :D

pcfan5

Mon May 21, 2018 9:42:09 pm

I would like to ask what to do after installing Lite, regarding updates:

shall we check "prioritari drivers for devices"?- I see it comes unchecked by default

what is sorce code for?

I guess this questions should be in another topic, if so please let me know.

Regardin Ristretto, is it advisable to uninistal after intalling another viewever? (since it is a software that comes with the system); anyway I will it another chance, since its desktop pourposse ;)

@Swarf , regarding LibreOffice saving files in a different folder than the one you wish , check in properties if you have a way to set for default the location desire.

pcfan5

Sat May 26, 2018 2:01:34 pm

Good News Regarding Parole I am playing several CD (home made and originals) I am not experiencing buffering problems neither in playback nor in Gstreamer...this is after a fresh instalation, aplying latests updates and changing a sata cable (red cable) of possition in motherboard hardware.

I mention this here to avoid people from getting a bad "thought" regardin Lite- which is my desktop preference, I love it because is simpler than core and has so many features, Zorin Lite is better by far from another xfce desktops.

I Will copy this in the topic regarding CD issues- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13888,- since we chat about it in this both places,

Swarfendor437

Sat May 26, 2018 5:48:47 pm

No joy here!

parole error.jpg
parole error.jpg (14.5 KiB)

:cry:

and it is a current issue with xubuntu too if you see the last post here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1322384

chef011

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:14:02 pm

Hello everyone,

First I have to say that I am, well, a bit disappointed with the fact that Zorin team had no decency to reply to the email I sent as a paying customer.
I understand that they may be busy, but c'mon this just looks very unprofessional.

I have to say I tried Zorin before and I had issues with it. Then I came back to it some time later, a few days ago. Without any hesitation, I purchased ultimate version, hoped and prayed to God that at least some of the issues have been fixed.

I really don't understand why if you're already paying you don't get an updated version of the shipped software. I spent 2 hours updating the software which drove me nuts, then WIFI disappears and it was no-where to be found. That was just a beginning of a nightmare that is yet to come.

Inability to, still to this day, reduce the size of icons drove me against the grain. I understand giving people option with Accessibility Settings so those with visual impairment could use, but I prefer to have my icons rather smaller than what preset gives.

My computer was so laggy it took forever to open windows. Also boot time to get to the encryption window was so long. Once you pass that another forever awaits to unlock the computer and another forever to get things going. An my computer isn't really an 10 year old rag.

I am utterly disappointed and feel I have wasted my money. I was really hoping that Zorin stepped up, but for me it didn't it remained where it was. I had to go back to my other system I used prior to switching to Zorin. Such a shame.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21:50 am

chef011 wrote:Hello everyone,

First I have to say that I am, well, a bit disappointed with the fact that Zorin team had no decency to reply to the email I sent as a paying customer.
I understand that they may be busy, but c'mon this just looks very unprofessional.

I have to say I tried Zorin before and I had issues with it. Then I came back to it some time later, a few days ago. Without any hesitation, I purchased ultimate version, hoped and prayed to God that at least some of the issues have been fixed.

I really don't understand why if you're already paying you don't get an updated version of the shipped software. I spent 2 hours updating the software which drove me nuts, then WIFI disappears and it was no-where to be found. That was just a beginning of a nightmare that is yet to come.

Inability to, still to this day, reduce the size of icons drove me against the grain. I understand giving people option with Accessibility Settings so those with visual impairment could use, but I prefer to have my icons rather smaller than what preset gives.

My computer was so laggy it took forever to open windows. Also boot time to get to the encryption window was so long. Once you pass that another forever awaits to unlock the computer and another forever to get things going. An my computer isn't really an 10 year old rag.

I am utterly disappointed and feel I have wasted my money. I was really hoping that Zorin stepped up, but for me it didn't it remained where it was. I had to go back to my other system I used prior to switching to Zorin. Such a shame.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I am surprised you had the large icon issue which was an issue initially in earlier versions of 12. For future reference I would follow the advice that Team Zorin have always given and that is to download the Free versions of Core and Lite to run in live mode to ensure compatibility before forking out on the Premium/Ultimate versions.
You mentioned Encryption in your post - you should never install with Encryption enabled at install time, nor should you setup Zorin (or any GNU/Linux) with autologin either. Encryption should be setup post install. I have PM'd Team Zorin as you are aware. The best method of installation is the something else method where you manually create the following and assumes a standard Hard Disk Drive and not an SSD (Solid State Drive):

1. '/' - Root file system - format to 'Ext4' 30 Gb (30720 Mib) marked as Primary at start of drive.
2. Create an Extended partition in which at the END you create a 'swap area' equal to the amount of physical RAM (Memory) in the machine.
3. Whatever is left in front of swap, mark as '/home', formatted to 'Ext4'

Please take time to read the unofficial manual in respect of Zorin Core:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13614

and Zorin Lite (my eldest was recently on life support so this is still not complete):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13891

Hope things get resolved soon for you.

AZorin

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:16:17 am

chef011 wrote:Hello everyone,

Hello,
Our sincerest apologies for the late reply, thank you for your candid feedback.

Thank you for letting us know about the large icons, we are on track to fix this issue in the next version of Zorin OS, which will be released later this year.

We are also on preparing to release Zorin OS 12.4 later this month, which will include the latest software updates and hardware drivers out of the box. If you wish to try it, you will automatically have access to this updated version of the Ultimate edition from the download link in our original email to you, at no cost.

In order to avoid a slow user experience, if your computer has a graphics card, we would recommend you to install its drivers by following these instructions: https://zorinos.com/help/activate-graphics-card/

I have sent you a more long-form message about your feedback as a reply to your email.

renee26

Tue May 28, 2019 8:10:58 am

Parole media player is full of errors