This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sudo App Autoremove (:/boot is full )

myl35

Wed May 09, 2018 9:00:46 pm

Can an icon be created for this function ? When doing updates you may get the "Out of space" message.
This is done by restarting and selecting menus to eventually free up space.
For a new user, one who came from Windows this will be scary. I figured it out but others wont.
Is there some way a shortcut can be made and labelled - clear up space on :/boot
Does someone have a better idea ? Say you give a laptop to your sister, friend will they get it ?

Swarfendor437

Thu May 10, 2018 12:22:20 pm

Hi, Just curious, did you create '/boot' or did it get created with 'auto install'? I have had a similar issue in a work one that somehow got '/boot' on it - I never use it for that very reason when preparing a Zorin Install. Always better to choose the 'something else' method.

Here is the solution to the question as you currently face:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/963631/ ... -from-boot

myl35

Thu May 10, 2018 8:00:40 pm

The :/boot is a folder which was created with auto install. The laptop originally had windows on it and in future I would do the same. Its not a real problem and sudo app auto remove does work but is long winded. The thing is I gave my sister a laptop with Zorin on it which previously had windows and I think she'll be confused when it does it to her. Zorin was supposed to wipe everything. Since it appears after updates a simple Y/N auto cleanup of whatever folder it is in would help big time. Thanks for your reply I'm a first time Linux user and the language is weird to me !

Swarfendor437

Thu May 10, 2018 8:07:54 pm

Hi, your welcome. You could always install Ubuntu Tweak and use the 'Janitor' (system cleaning function) to remove old journals. Sadly Janitor is about the only working item on Ubuntu Tweak these days as it was built for the now defunct Gnome2 desktop environment. Most Gnome desktops these days use Gnome3 as Zorin does. I can't upload an image of Ubuntu Tweak as I backed up my /home folder so that I could install Zorin Lite to write the unofficial manual for that.
Hope you (and your sister) continue to enjoy Zorin. ;) :D

Before I forget, always keep the kernel version that was current before any update so that if the newest kernel causes issues (and this is not a Zorin issue but a GNU/Linux issue) you can fall back to a working kernel. Please also bear in mind that hardware manufacturers garner their kit for that other OS - they do not readily produce kit that is meant to run GNU/Linux of any flavour. ;)

Oh, and don't forget to download the unofficial manual I have created here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13614