Zorin OS 15 Beta Feedback

Re: Zorin OS 15 Beta Feedback

Postby zorinantwerp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am

Hi

svatas wrote:I was unable to add any PPA via GUI, just via terminal. When using Software Update, the button Settings is not working or even there is no app called "Software settings" (I do not know the proper name as I am using Czech language in Zorin.

server in Czech Republik. suggest the software updater be set to downloading from 'headserver'

ppa via Terminal is appropriate. have you checked presence of the prog involved to be/or not under 'software'
suggest to switch to 'english' using the Beta for time being.
thanks for your comments.
:)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, Zorin Group.
zorinantwerp

Postby zorinantwerp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:39 am

SleepyD wrote:I received the update for Zorin Appearance. It opens and works great now. I can't wait for this to be released.

I cannot get the Weather to show in the calendar. I click to select a location. It brings up the location box. I start to type a zip code and it crashes after I enter the first number in the zip code. I have location services enabled but it doesn't pull my location for it.

hi,
tks your comments,

please see earlier on reply given by Swarfendor437 to the same issue reported.
I personally refer to Meteo which can be found under 'software'.
it is far more superior and appears in your taskbar. :)

regards
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, Zorin Group.
zorinantwerp

Postby masternetra » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:30 pm

SleepyD wrote:I received the update for Zorin Appearance. It opens and works great now. I can't wait for this to be released.

Yea works for me now after the update too.
masternetra

Postby OmegaDMM » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm

Zorin Appearance is now working for me as well!

The weather function is now searching for cities, however it seems if you type characters beyond what is available in the list it will immediately close (crash?) example: I type Nash and multiple Nashvilles appear, if I type Nashr than it will close since no city has that match. Also it is not actually pulling weather info after I successfully load a city. I realize a suggestion is to use another program, however that isn't the point here since we are dealing with OS feedback and not "how I can improve my personal experience with other programs". Perhaps we should suggest replacing the faulty program with the suggested Meteo?
OmegaDMM

Postby Swarfendor437 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Yes it is crashing in my install of Beta 2 - worked fine in alpha 4!
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby Swarfendor437 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:30 pm

jwsp1 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, a fellow mod has advised me that if I install kernel v5.03 it might resolve my sound etc issues - will let you know! ;) :D

You have the same issues? Awesome :P
Just checked: ubuntu 18.10 (where I had no problems) has linux kernel 4.18. And Zorin 15 also has kernel 4.18, so I doubt that upgrading kernel will help here.
Anyways, please let me know if you know more.

I can only get sound through my HDMI connection, not audio from either on-board or Creative Audigy Rx :( Also when trying to use VGA (I no longer have my DVI Monitor - that is in use with family member) I have a 32" Sanyo LED TV and after upgrading the kernel the graphics went downhill to 1024 x 768 - now using the nVidia 390 drivers and can't use interlace as it shows 30 Hz where as 1920 x 1080 shows correct 59.94 Hz (almost correct 60 Hz!)
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby AZorin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 am

Thanks for all the detailed feedback so far, it's been super helpful in finding the flaws that we didn't find when testing earlier builds of Zorin OS 15 ourselves.
So far, we've been able to fix the following issues in the latest software updates:
- Zorin Appearance not opening (thanks for posting the Terminal output masternetra, that led us to the fix)
- the Software icon now always appears in the Zorin menu, even when non-Zorin icon themes are selected (thanks Astyanax)
- will change "Check disk for defects" to "Check installation medium for defects" in the stable build of Zorin OS 15 (thanks Astyanax)
- added options in Zorin Appearance to show "Date" and "Seconds" in the panel clock, as well as week numbers in the calendar menu
- "Shell" theme dropdown menu in the "Other theme" section of Zorin Appearance now always shows the correct theme, and is now blank switching to the Zorin colour desktop themes
- desktop app shortcuts are now launchable by default (without needing to mark them as trusted) and show the correct app icon and name. It's now also possible to drag and drop the app icon from the Zorin menu onto the desktop
- "Show Desktop Button" in the panel is now bigger and more visible with an icon (thanks for the suggestion pcfan5)
- will fix the automatic time changing issue in Live mode in the stable build of Zorin OS 15 (thanks Astyanax)

We've noted the other bugs you've found and we're doing our best to fix as many as we can in time for the stable release.

To answer some of the questions you have asked:
- Going forward, Zorin OS 15 Core and Ultimate will only be available in 64 bit versions, but we will release both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the Lite and Lite Ultimate editions
- We do not include the proprietary media codecs on the Live ISO, but the Zorin OS installer should download and install them onto the hard drive installation unless this option is disabled on the 2nd page of the installer. This behaviour is the same as in Zorin OS 12
- If you have the Zorin OS 15 Beta installed, running the Software Updater as soon as the stable version is released will upgrade you to the stable Core edition of Zorin OS 15
- It is now pssible to make the file and desktop icon sizes smaller than in Zorin OS 12 by opening the 3 dot menu in the File browser (beside the window controls) and pressing the minus button
- @martini260 You can increase the font size everywhere (including the Zorin menu, context menus and panel clock) by opening the Zorin menu > Settings > Universal Access and switching on "Large Text". You can add launchers to the panel by right-clicking on the app icon and selecting "Add to Favourites"
- @Swarfendor437 The 3rd desktop layout (in Zorin Appearance) in the Zorin OS 15 Beta is the new touch layout and not a replacement for the macOS layout. The macOS-like desktop layout will be available in the Ultimate edition of Zorin OS 15 when the stable version will be released, just like in Zorin OS 12

Once again, thanks for the feedback!

P.S. After testing on multiple computers in both X and Wayland, we weren't able to replicate the issue with the largest cursor size. @Swarfendor437 perhaps the issue might be related to how your graphics card interacts with the newer NVIDIA drivers
Lead Developer of Zorin OS
AZorin
Site Admin

Postby BeatlesFan#1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:34 am

Hello,

One bug i found is that right button on my touch pad work as a primary button instead of giving me pop up menus. Works fine on Zorin 12.4. I am using laptop ASUS N550J. I hope it is fixed in a final release. I tested this with a wireless logitech gaming mouse and works just fine. Thank you for your work.

UPDATE: figured out, that i need to use 2 finger tap for that. PLEASE ADD OPTION TO SWITCH BETWEEN 2 FINGER TAP AND CLICK SO WE DONT HAVE TO INSTALL GNOME TWEAK!

Again Thank you very much.
BeatlesFan#1

Postby iampedro » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Can you make sure this works on Lenovo P52 touch screens with dual video cards... Will it work that way?
iampedro

Postby zabadabadoo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:08 pm

I am still running the Beta off USB (with persistence), so maybe I'm not seeing appearance improvements.
I have a couple of more questions:

1. I like the default theme in 12.4Core. Will it be possible to set taskbar backround different from windows i.e. Taskbar dark backgroud with white or light blue text, Windows white with light blue text?
2. Also will it be possible to make taskbar semi transparent (% opacity setting) as can do in 12.4Core.
3. I Can't see Synaptic Package Manager listed in software, even if I use Search. Is Synaptic not going to be part of the Core package or am I missing a trick?
zabadabadoo

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback