This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 15 Beta Feedback

AZorin

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:56:47 pm

After a long development cycle, we've released the Beta of Zorin OS 15. Every aspect of the user experience has been re-considered and refined in this new release, from how apps are installed, to how you get work done, to how it interacts with the devices around you.
You can learn more about what's new here: https://zoringroup.com/blog/2019/03/20/and-the-next-version-of-zorin-os-is

Download link: https://zorinos.com/download/15/core/beta

We would love to hear your feedback on what we've created so far. Feel free to post here your thoughts from using the Beta, bug reports and suggestions of what you would like us to improve even further for the final release.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:28:08 pm

Hi, The largest mouse pointer is still flaky in the Beta release. Whilst screenreader can be started in desktop, it does not stay active after logging out - it has to be turned on at the login screen. I am finally running this in live mode using HDMI cable to Sanyo 32" TV but under HDMI it is only reporting 30 Hz instead of what I would expect to be 60 Hz. My main complaint is not about Zorin but Ubuntu 18.04 on which it is based in that the onboard sound does not work like it did in 16.04. Having read that Audigy 5 Rx sound card is supposed to work, I purchased same only to find it does not - not even with ALSA installed and the Audigy packages via Synaptic. A shame the Mac software developed for Audigy cards can't be transcoded for GNU/Linux. Oh well! Generally a great look and more logical settings layout than that 'other OS' which shall remain nameless. :D

nandhos

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:57:39 pm

I love it. In general is excelent with a delightful design. I'm only missing the transparecy alpha's taskbar. I think instead light and dark theme affect the taskbar, it has its own color and opacity settings. The same for the windows, it could be more customizable.

jeffneedle

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19:03 pm

I haven't downloaded the beta, but will the notorious problems with Wine be fixed in this release? The only thing that drove me from Zorin some time ago was its inability to handle Wine. Thanks.

ryu_joko

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:56:06 pm

When i split my screen to extend mode, i hope the first screen have a little "corner partition" at the corner of the end of the screen, so my mouse is not running away to the second screen when i close the the full screen window.

and i still cant get any compatibility with my Smarttech-SmartBoard for educational (https://support.smarttech.com/en/downlo ... -for-linux).

i really wish this two things could work properly, so i can transition all my teachers and students to this OS. anyway, thanks for ZorinOS team for your very hard work. i do wish your team get into Patreon so we can get a somekind of perk while donating. cheers!

Hi,
you can see this link:
https://support.smarttech.com/en/downloads/other-hardware/displays/mx-series/notebook-linux-for-mx?language=en_US

Usually from version 12 it does not need any additional driver to operate the interactive whiteboards.
let me know the model you use if the solution I gave you didn't work.

regards,

Albano.

Ark

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:32:44 am

It appears that the installer for the beta cannot install the grub bootloader on my computer. I have used Ubuntu and Linux Mint which both installed grub without issue, so I do not think this is on my end. I will be installing Ubuntu tonight to test if this is on my end or is an issue with Zorin OS 15 Beta. Will write another comment/edit this one to inform you of the results.

EDIT: It was on my end, the same error happened when attempting to install Ubuntu 18.04.2 on my computer. :oops:

zorinantwerp

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:16:05 am

Hi, missing codecs on Zorin 15 noted.

I know that restrictions are in place for legal and technical reasons so I suppose that agreeing to licensing terms for copy-right protected software still is a big NO.

ok hopping to gstreamer then.
+++

zabadabadoo

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57:58 am

I see Zorin 15 Core Beta is 64bit only.
Will there be a 32bit version of Zorin 15 Core when final versions are released ?

Axel7

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22:07 am

OMG! Finally! I haven't installed it but I love it! The new UI design is just perfect and better than Windows!
There are many new features, wow!
When I try it, I will give a complete feedback!

zabadabadoo

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11:38 pm

Is there a hash code (checksum) for Zorin 15 Beta iso file download for Windows?
(I can't see it listed with others on Zorin website)

zorinantwerp

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07:10 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:Is there a hash code (checksum) for Zorin 15 Beta iso file download for Windows?

SHA256SUM: 727cc9d6e1bef85c4e744b42e6dd9ab5ae0263e313826625d2bc91dcde79c47f

jwsp1

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:30:07 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:Is there a hash code (checksum) for Zorin 15 Beta iso file download for Windows?

You can check it out here: https://zorinos.com/download/15/core/beta/
Unfortunately, you will automatically get redirected immediately but if you're fast, you can stop being redirected.
Here's the checksum:
SHA256SUM: 727cc9d6e1bef85c4e744b42e6dd9ab5ae0263e313826625d2bc91dcde79c47f

jwsp1

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:40:29 pm

I use a Lenovo ideapad MIIX 310-10ICR convertible (touchscreen) and all Zorin OS versions boot with 90 degrees turned around.
For version 12.4, it was not a big deal since I was able to rotate the display in settings. But in version 15 beta, I am not able to find a setting anymore where I can change display orientation.
Would be very helpful to see this again for the stable version.

Also, the visual touchscreen keyboard doesn't work properly. When I type a little faster, letters are counted twice while others don't show up at all (e.g. "Zrrin" insead of "Zorin").

Janlam

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10:30 pm

So far so good! I really like OS 15 beta, already so much better than OS 12.4.
First of all I appreciate the software manager that now works correctly.
The upside down screen issue I was having with OS 12.4 is also better, it still happens now and then but immediately turns back up to the right side up.
Also much appreciated is the latest version of LibreOffice that comes with the beta. I was rather upset getting an older version of it with OS 12.4
I hope that having recently paid for both the business and ultimate versions of OS 12.4, I will get free upgrades to the final versions. I wasn't able to use Zorin OS 12.4, and was considering going back to MX Linux or Mint Cinnamon, but now with the Zorin 15 beta release, I think I'll be very happy with the new versions of Zorin.
Thank you so much for improving your distro. Keep up the good work.
Jan Lam

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01:35 pm

OK, thought I would just like to say how brilliant Zorin Connect is - it picked up my 1+ 3T instantly - great job! I have installed it on a notebook at work that cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 as it was only licenced for Vista Business/XP. It installed without a glitch and where 12.4 could not connect to a Canon LiDE 700F or LiDE 220 scanner with Simple Scan they now work out of the box instantly! Was able to connect to Domain with no issues wirelessly. My other jaw dropping experience is the new LibreOffice getting a long overdue facelift that is closer in looks to the opposition than other iterations! I can definitely feel a new Unofficial Manual in the pipeline which I hope to upload this coming Easter! I can't wait to get stuck in! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Here's my Zorin blue rendition of one of the included walls:

Logotype.jpg

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:21:38 pm

jeffneedle wrote:I haven't downloaded the beta, but will the notorious problems with Wine be fixed in this release? The only thing that drove me from Zorin some time ago was its inability to handle Wine. Thanks.

Wine is not present in the Beta but it is possible to download the latest version of Wine, 4 - have installed with no issues but not attempted to install any Windows apps apart from seeing if my Audigy RX application software for Windows would run but it doesn't but then Creative Labs never created stuff to work for GNU/Linux architecture anyways. ;) :D

brunoais

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:22:57 pm

Does Zorin 15 Lite run using X?
I have a set of programs that require X and, to my daily needs, I need to do remote desktop connections and (as far as I know) no remote desktop works on wayland yet.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24:32 pm

jwsp1 wrote:I use a Lenovo ideapad MIIX 310-10ICR convertible (touchscreen) and all Zorin OS versions boot with 90 degrees turned around.
For version 12.4, it was not a big deal since I was able to rotate the display in settings. But in version 15 beta, I am not able to find a setting anymore where I can change display orientation.

Also, the visual touchscreen keyboard doesn't work properly. When I type a little faster, letters are counted twice while others don't show up at all (e.g. "Zrrin" insead of "Zorin").

Go to Settings | Devices:

Screenshot from 2019-03-21 21-22-49.jpg

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:26:12 pm

brunoais wrote:Does Zorin 15 Lite run using X?
I have a set of programs that require X and, to my daily needs, I need to do remote desktop connections and (as far as I know) no remote desktop works on wayland yet.

Zorin Lite versions usually come out several weeks to a month or more once a 'final' release has been made, and currently can't answer this question - that is one for the devs.

If you ran Core would this be a viable alternative?:

share desktop.jpg

pcfan5

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:21:02 am

I have just heard the news!! I am excited , and downloading the beta version. Hope I could give it a try during weekend... Nice feature that about changing the aspect from day to night... I think I read Mac iOS has something like that. Congrats Zorin Team for getting that for us!!
Will come back with feedback later!

OmegaDMM

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:47:05 am

First and foremost this is the best linux experience I ever had and I am a Windows 3.1 to Windows 7 user (I hate windows 8 and 10). I would honestly say this distro is a better experience than Windows 10! With all that being said I do have an issue to report: I am using a Core i5 2400 CPU with integrated Intel HD 2000 graphics with 480+2MB of shared memory allocated with a TLC 55" Roku TV; the issue I am having is when the resolution is set to 1920x1080 the screen will flicker to black screen for a split second randomly between 20 seconds ~ 4 minutes. I recently dropped down the resolution to 1280x720 and so far no flicker. Not sure if this is a memory issue or something else entirely, but I figured I'd report this as part of my feedback. I love how integrated wine support is with this distro as it allows me to treat it as if I was running on windows (mostly some hardware reading apps don't like it i.e. hwmonitor).

OmegaDMM

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50:01 am

I've noticed the location option for weather that comes up after pressing the clock would be a nice feature, however at first it did nothing when I typed in a zip code, then after several tries it crashes out every time I type a single digit into it.

jwsp1

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58:25 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
jwsp1 wrote:I use a Lenovo ideapad MIIX 310-10ICR convertible (touchscreen) and all Zorin OS versions boot with 90 degrees turned around.

Go to Settings | Devices:

The attachment Screenshot from 2019-03-21 21-22-49.jpg is no longer available

Interesting. I don't have this option. Have you tested it with a touchscreen / convertible?
As I said, I was able to change orientation on the same device using Zorin 12.4.

Astyanax

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:16:06 am

Hi! Thank you for releasing beta, I'll definitely buy the business version when it comes out.
If you permit, I'll post one issue at a time. In such a way it is easier to respond.

Can you replace the current shape of progress bullets to circle? They look smeared to me and catch my attention.

Astyanax

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27:02 am

Could you rephrase this disk check menu entry?
I think "Check this installation medium for defects" would be better, because some users confuse it with destination hard drive.

luckyboy

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20:39 am

Hi im testing this beta and so far LOVE IT.
Can it be updated to the stable release when it is ready?

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11:14 pm

OmegaDMM wrote:.... I love how integrated wine support is with this distro as it allows me to treat it as if I was running on windows (mostly some hardware reading apps don't like it i.e. hwmonitor).

That's because hwmonitor will likely to need access to some elements of Windows that will not be present in the WINE environment - that's when you need 'psensor' for GNU/Linux. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:12:24 pm

Astyanax wrote:Hi! Thank you for releasing beta, I'll definitely buy the business version when it comes out.
If you permit, I'll post one issue at a time. In such a way it is easier to respond.

Can you replace the current shape of progress bullets to circle? They look smeared to me and catch my attention.

Ahh so they catch your attention - perhaps that was the 'point'! :lol: No pointed pun intended!

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13:47 pm

luckyboy wrote:Hi im testing this beta and so far LOVE IT.
Can it be updated to the stable release when it is ready?

I don't think so - always better to do a fresh install using the final released image anyway for stability if nothing else. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:15:37 pm

OmegaDMM wrote:I've noticed the location option for weather that comes up after pressing the clock would be a nice feature, however at first it did nothing when I typed in a zip code, then after several tries it crashes out every time I type a single digit into it.

I thought that it did not work - it is only since testing Zorin 15 that I have discovered you have to enter a district of the City where you live - you don't need a post/zip code for it to work. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:19:20 pm

Settings | Devices | Displays:

Orientation.jpg

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:26:05 pm

Astyanax wrote:Could you rephrase this disk check menu entry?
I think "Check this installation medium for defects" would be better, because some users confuse it with destination hard drive.

This has been the 'de facto' message for all GNU/Linux distributions for some time - perhaps I will include an explanation in my next unofficial manual. ;)

pcfan5

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:28:09 pm

Hi there! finaly I past my bed time in order to try this beta version. I must say I wasn't able to boot from my USB pendrive, where I have other ISOS, I set this pendrive with "yumi" which is best for me.

So I have to try it in Virtual Box , which only allowed me to set almost 2 GB ram....

Regarding Zorin 15:

Pros:

-Beautifull walpapers!!, is there still the chance to have Zroin 12.X ones?

-Beautifull menu and soft to eye.

-I also loved the new dark themes. Finaly you made it to a shade of black... older versions of dark themes in Zorin hurted my eyes, because black was too strong , resulting the theme to shinny. Thanks!

-It is a good idea the new day/night light feature,,I think Mac iOS has something like that. Thank you gusy for making it available to everybody.

-Libreoffice 6.2 I love it althought at first I said "oh no!! ribbon tool bars!" but hey the are helpful and the you can change it to standart tool bar also!

Error or cons:

-Handler/ scroll verticals bars are too thin , place reconsider this It is quite difficult to catch them in order to scroll easily.

- Setting options takes to much time to change between options.

- In Settings as well, "Nigh Light" doen't show changes when moving the horizontal handler.

- "show desktop" buttom it is too small! , it is like the one in Windows 10, please consider to make it bigger.

Astyanax

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:32:28 pm

Found another regression: wrong shortcuts are created on the desktop. In 12.4 it works without issue.

How to reproduce:
1. Go to start menu
2. Choose any program in the menu (for example: Utilities -> Terminal)
3. Right click and choose "Add to Desktop"

desktop_shortcut_bug.png
desktop_shortcut_bug.png (75.54 KiB)

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:40:25 pm

Astyanax wrote:Found another regression: wrong shortcuts are created on the desktop. In 12.4 it works without issue.

How to reproduce:
1. Go to start menu

The attachment desktop_shortcut_bug.png is no longer available

That is what I originally got when creating shortcut to simple scan - just double-click it and you get a security question as to whether you want it to be permitted to run - select the obvious and the correct icon will show up. ;) :D

But perhaps it is a minor issue/bug still to be ironed out? ;)

My personal 'bugbear' - no bug pun intended - is to see folders on the desktop with their correct name but then stating '0 bytes' underneath the name of the folder when there is something in it!:

Screenshot from 2019-03-22 13-43-55.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-22 13-43-55.png (16.63 KiB)

Astyanax

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:41:18 pm

That is what I originally got when creating shortcut to simple scan - just double-click it and you get a security question as to whether you want it to be permitted to run - select the obvious and the correct icon will show up.

My personal 'bugbear' - no bug pun intended - is to see folders on the desktop with their correct name but then stating '0 bytes' underneath the name of the folder when there is something in it!

Four-five similar "glitches" leads to the situation when I cannot propose linux: my opponent laughs at me and prefers to install windows.
Generally speaking, I think that when windows 10 started to suck with its updates, it is our chance to pull away.

But, back to issues: another two I would like to be resolved are in Themes tab in Appearance menu:
1) Applications, Icons and Shell theme items should have a value. They actually do have "Zorin-95" by default, but it is not listed.
2) When I change "Icons" value, all I want to change is how icons look, but when I choose any value, the whole theme is reset and I have to readjust it from scratch.

preferences_problem.png

zabadabadoo

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:45:00 pm

Thank you for posting the checksums for 15 Beta here on the forum. I missed seeing it as I was flipped over to sourceforge for the download yesterday.
I am just about to try 15 Beta from USB key.

I wonder if there are any advances since 12.4 Core, with regard to the following irritations I have with that version:

a. Setting Lockscreen (slider) background images consistently for all occasions.
On 12.4 I have found it a bit of a lottery and occasionally get the Zorin blue default blend.png instead of selected background.

b. Control over Lockscreen (on/off) consistently on all occasions.
On 12.4 even with Lockscreen=off (in Privacy), still get the lockscreen slider appearing.

c. Control of desktop icon sizing (i.e. smaller than smallest size setting on Zorin 12.4).

I am not sure if I will be able to test this properly running 15 Beta from USB. If anyone else is able to check these display functions work better on 15 Beta than 12.4, then would be good to know.

Janlam

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:41:12 pm

Having an issue with my secondary large monitor, connected on HDMI.
In Devices, Screen Display, it shows as GoldStar Company Ltd 27"
How can I have it recognize it as LG 32UD59 32" Class 4K UHD LED Monitor
I can't make it display in its native resolution of 3840 x 2160. The highest I can put is 1920 x 1080
It seems that we should be able to independently choose the scale of each monitor, but when I change second monitor to 100% it also modifies my laptop monitor to 100%. It needs to stay at 200%
Thank you for checking this out.
JL

P.S. in Settings, Devices, Device Colour Profile, the secondary monitor displays correctly as LG Ultra HD Monitor, whereas in Screen Display it is GoldStar Company Ltd 27"

Janlam

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:57:39 pm

Astyanax wrote:Found another regression: wrong shortcuts are created on the desktop. In 12.4 it works without issue.

How to reproduce:
1. Go to start menu

desktop_shortcut_bug.png

I just tried from the launcher menu --> LibreOffice Writer --> add to Desktop
No icon appears on the desktop. On the right click popup of LibreOffice Writer in menu, the "add to desktop" isn't displayed anymore. So there is definitely a problem with displaying shortcuts on the desktop...

zabadabadoo

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:08:44 pm

I have just tried 15 Beta on USB. First impressions are mixed. Settings are much different from 12.4 and some settings, particularly appearance settings, seem to be missing compared to 12.4.

1. Switching on Firewall is now more accessible, i.e. from Privacy settings.
2. Desktop icons size can be reduced smaller than on 12.4.

Dislikes:
1. Desktop icons (if set small and auto aligned) are spaced 25mm (centreline) too far from left edge of the screen. (icon grid is too coarse)
2. Lock screen=off does not work. Slider screen appears even though lockscreen=off in settings. (Same problem in 12.4).
3. Theme does not allow light windows (black or blue text on white background) whilst allowing taskbar to be dark colour with white or light blue text/icons. (this was possible in 12.4)
4. Cannot set taskbar transparency percentage. (this was possible in 12.4)
5. Cannot select whether to show just clock or date+clock in taskbar.
edit to add:
6. When reducing height of taskbar in settings, the size of taskbar icons reduce disproportionately with taskbar height. Also the "Z" superkey icon changes size different from other taskbar icons. It is difficult to get a pleasing result without compromising icons if a reduced height taskbar is used.

jwsp1

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:17:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:

Settings | Devices | Displays:

The attachment Orientation.jpg is no longer available

Thank you, but I've already replied to sb else that this option is not available on my convertible. Maybe missing drivers or so? But the option to rotate display was available on zorin 12.4 live boot on the same device.

zorinantwerp

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:33:11 pm

Janlam wrote:

How to reproduce:
1. Go to start menu

desktop_shortcut_bug.png

No icon appears on the desktop. On the right click popup of LibreOffice Writer in menu, the "add to desktop" isn't displayed anymore. So there is definitely a problem with displaying shortcuts on the desktop...

tried to repeat your error but no issues encountered. it is a two step procedure.
- add to desktop
- trust launcher
after rebooting your icon still show up.

+++

bayupsai

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:38:49 pm

I Love the design, but when i start Zorin OS its couldn't support for my Graphic Driver
So, i recommend to Set Linux kernel 4.19 and New Version of Mesa Driver which it support with my Graphic Driver.

Tested in : Acer Aspire 4741
Spec:
    Intel Core I5 - M 450
    Intel HD Graphic 4500M 128mb
    4gb DDR3 Ram

Janlam

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:38:55 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:
Janlam wrote:

How to reproduce:
1. Go to start menu

desktop_shortcut_bug.png

tried to repeat your error but no issues encountered. it is a two step procedure.
- add to desktop
- trust launcher
after rebooting your icon still show up.

+++

Correct! When I rebooted, the icon did display with the message to trust it.
I suppose that this will be made to take immediate effect without rebooting in a future update.
Thank you! I appreciate your reply.

Aravisian

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:45:35 pm

New To Zorin wrote:How can I see all the installed packages,is there any gui app for it?

In your applications menu, you should see an app called, "Software". This comes preinstalled and it has a tab for Installed software.

You also may download and install Synaptic Package manager. Synaptic has a tab on the left side that shows in great detail all your installed programs as well. both are a GUI.
Hope this helps.

zorinantwerp

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:52:54 pm

OmegaDMM wrote:I've noticed the location option for weather that comes up after pressing the clock would be a nice feature, however at first it did nothing when I typed in a zip code, then after several tries it crashes out every time I type a single digit into it.

you may try under 'software' shop 'Meteo' which is superior (no crashes) and gives you forecast and temperature on taskbar :)

+++

Astyanax

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:52:17 pm

One more issue:

When you are using default theme, Software icon is present:
present_icon.png

If you apply any other theme (Adwaita, for example), Software icon is missing:
missing_icon.png

Problem exists in 12.4 Ultimate as well.

martini260

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:44:38 am

I just spent a few hours installing Zorin 15 beta in Virtual box on Windows 10. The font control is good but I was not able to adjust the menu font size or the clock font size. The text scalling is too big and the mouse is too small there is no adjustment. Mate and XFCE have this. There is no way to configure the task panel at the bottom of the screen or add launchers to it. There notifications about VBox client DND failed to connect. The context menu, desktop and start menu have a font size that is too small and not adjustable. I had to install gcc make perl to install the VBox additions then had to install the gnome users and groups to add my user to the vboxsf user group to access shared folders on the host system. I like the folder sharing option and prompt to install samba, but this should have been there to begin with. I added ppa's for variety, libreoffice, but the ppa for wine would not take. I installed from the software app then installed Crossover successfully.

Users should be able to adjust the Zorin menu font size, the desktop font size, the clock font size so they are readable and add launchers with ease. Zorin OS should have samba and wine installed by default and have Users and groups. The font tab in appearance needs additional options as noted above. The Zorin menu and the menus for the clock and tray icons are especially small. Zorin OS will need more refinement and performance adjustments to replace Windows 10. Users should not be forced to use a small unreadable font size for anything in Linux or use a small mouse pointer.

Regards,
Martini260

martini260

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:29:38 am

I realize Zorin OS 15 is in beta but the font size on the Zorin menu and context menus is unusable. This needs to be fixed immediately. I have attached screen shots. Also Zorin OS 15 beta refuses to shutdown normally, I have to close the vm. See attached.

Regards,
Martini260

jwsp1

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40:06 am

They onscreen keyboard is behind the menu and only works when writing very slow (otherwise letters get counted double or not at all).

albano

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:41:15 am

jwsp1 wrote:They onscreen keyboard is behind the menu and only works when writing very slow (otherwise letters get counted double or not at all).

HI,

the on-screen keyboard was designed for the touch version of Zorin Os 15. (third interface you can choose on Zorin appearance)
The same makes the desktop clean and the interaction with the keyboard works very well.
We will take your feedback into consideration.

Thank you,

Albano

ryu_joko

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:52:41 am

albano

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:12:59 pm

ryu_joko wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/03/22/linux-zorin-os-15-touch-interface-desktop-theme-and-android-sync/amp/

Youre now in Forbes!

;)

Hi,

thanks!

Regards,

Albano

masternetra

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:06:55 pm

Just installed and ran updates (and restarted for good measure) and "Zorin Appearance" isn't launching.

jwsp1

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:28:52 pm

albano wrote:
jwsp1 wrote:They onscreen keyboard is behind the menu and only works when writing very slow (otherwise letters get counted double or not at all).

HI,

the on-screen keyboard was designed for the touch version of Zorin Os 15. (third interface you can choose on Zorin appearance)
The same makes the desktop clean and the interaction with the keyboard works very well.
We will take your feedback into consideration.

Thank you,

Albano

Haven't tried the 3rd interface since I didn't know that this is for tablets/convertibles. Makes sense now and the on-screen keyboard is placed correctly now. In Windows, the appearance change automatically after I separate my display from the keyboard. Maybe something you should also consider to make sure that people are aware of the 3rd appearance which is made for tablets/convertibles.
Additionally, I still face the issue that can't type anything faster than 1 letter per second.

But thank you anyway, I very appreciate the hard work! :)

martini260

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:28:50 pm

I am attaching the logs from booting Zorin OS 15 beta this morning using the very useful log utility. This would be the all logs, system and hardware. There are times in Zorin OS 15 beta where it takes a 20 to 30 seconds for a request to process such as exporting logs, opening the file manager then opening the text file. In general I really like what I am seeing with Zorin OS 15 beta. However, Zorin OS 15 beta locked up trying to create the zip file I was trying to add the log files too, I had to create the zip file in Windows 10 pro and upload from there. Zorin OS 15 is going to have to work flawlessly to replace Windows 10.

Regards,
Martini260

zorinantwerp

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03:43 pm

martini260 wrote: Zorin OS 15 beta locked up trying to create the zip file I was trying to add the log files too, I had to create the zip file in Windows 10 pro and upload from there. .

Regards,
Martini260

Hi Martin260

thanks your comments are noted. on the zip issue I cannot repeat your error. have you used submenu 'compress'?

+++

knu

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:36:17 pm

masternetra wrote:Just installed and ran updates (and restarted for good measure) and "Zorin Appearance" isn't launching.

I had the same problem. I tried reinstalling the 3 zorin-appearance* packages, but no joy.

I did get an error message when launching zorin-appearance from the terminal. I will paste the error next time I boot to Zorin 15.

SleepyD

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:08:53 am

Hi. I'm really liking what I see in Zorin OS 15. I really like the themes. I unfortunately cannot get Zorin Appearance to open. Nothing happens when I click on it. I changed the themes via Gnome Tweaks.

chad183

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46:14 am

Found an issue in the file manager if something is in trash it shows a thumbnail instead of a file preview see image.

masternetra

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:56:21 am

knu wrote:
masternetra wrote:Just installed and ran updates (and restarted for good measure) and "Zorin Appearance" isn't launching.

I had the same problem. I tried reinstalling the 3 zorin-appearance* packages, but no joy.

I did get an error message when launching zorin-appearance from the terminal. I will paste the error next time I boot to Zorin 15.

Here is what I get when I try to launch it from terminal:

Code:
<censored>@<censored>:~$ zorin-appearance
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/panel.py", line 89, in _is_battery_present
    if power_management.is_battery_present(supply_path):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/power/linux.py", line 54, in is_battery_present
    with open(os.path.join(supply_path, 'present'), 'r') as present_file:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/class/power_supply/hidpp_battery_0/present'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/zorin-appearance", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('zorin-appearance==3.0', 'gui_scripts', 'zorin-appearance')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/__main__.py", line 162, in main
    window = ZorinAppearance()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/__main__.py", line 127, in __init__
    panel_box.add(panel.General())
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/panel.py", line 72, in __init__
    if self._is_battery_present():
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/panel.py", line 92, in _is_battery_present
    warnings.warn("Unable to read properties of {0}: {1}".format(supply_path, e), category=RuntimeWarning)
NameError: name 'warnings' is not defined

Astyanax

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:26:18 am

Hi, I have an issue I've been told off for Zorin :)

How to reproduce the bug:
1) Boot from live USB
2) Connect to the internet
3) After minute or two observe time change from 8:50 AM to 6:50 AM (I live in GMT +2)

System from Live CD/USB should not adjust any single setting on the PC it boots from.

Problem exists in Zorin 15 beta and Zorin 12.4 Ultimate. The host PC contains Windows and could not connect to certain sites until the clock was syncrhonized due to computer and real time discrepancy.

Astyanax

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:35:15 am

Another issue is about language in LiveCD.

Scenario to reproduce:
1) Boot from LiveCD
2) Choose language, different from English (I chose Russian)
3) Open terminal
4) Try to type "ping google.com" here. It is not possible, because all you have is four russian layouts.
4.1) Without default english layout, it is not possible to type latin-letters passwords and site URL's.

To fix this annoyance, I propose to add default english layout at the end of every non-english variant of LiveCD, so the user could easily choose it from language menu.

jwsp1

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:31:06 am

Just found out that sound doesn't work on my Lenovo Miix 310 convertible. Also the hardware buttons won't do anything. Working fine on other distros, like manjaro.

On boot/startup, I get to see log-code: first, the zorin boot animation appears, then code, then login screen.

zorinantwerp

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43:16 am

Janlam wrote:Having an issue with my secondary large monitor, connected on HDMI.
In Devices, Screen Display, it shows as GoldStar Company Ltd 27"
How can I have it recognize it as LG 32UD59 32" Class 4K UHD LED Monitor
I can't make it display in its native resolution of 3840 x 2160. The highest I can put is 1920 x 1080
It seems that we should be able to independently choose the scale of each monitor, but when I change second monitor to 100% it also modifies my laptop monitor to 100%. It needs to stay at 200%
Thank you for checking this out.
JL

P.S. in Settings, Devices, Device Colour Profile, the secondary monitor displays correctly as LG Ultra HD Monitor, whereas in Screen Display it is GoldStar Company Ltd 27"

Thanks for your comment. Gnome and scaling :(

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28:09 pm

Today I logged out of Zorin default desktop and into Zorin on Wayland and when going back into Zorin default desktop, all my favourites on the panel have disappeared!

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:38:44 pm

martini260 wrote:I just spent a few hours installing Zorin 15 beta in Virtual box on Windows 10. The font control is good but I was not able to adjust the menu font size or the clock font size. The text scalling is too big and the mouse is too small there is no adjustment. Mate and XFCE have this. There is no way to configure the task panel at the bottom of the screen or add launchers to it. There notifications about VBox client DND failed to connect. The context menu, desktop and start menu have a font size that is too small and not adjustable. I had to install gcc make perl to install the VBox additions then had to install the gnome users and groups to add my user to the vboxsf user group to access shared folders on the host system. I like the folder sharing option and prompt to install samba, but this should have been there to begin with. I added ppa's for variety, libreoffice, but the ppa for wine would not take. I installed from the software app then installed Crossover successfully.

Users should be able to adjust the Zorin menu font size, the desktop font size, the clock font size so they are readable and add launchers with ease. Zorin OS should have samba and wine installed by default and have Users and groups. The font tab in appearance needs additional options as noted above. The Zorin menu and the menus for the clock and tray icons are especially small. Zorin OS will need more refinement and performance adjustments to replace Windows 10. Users should not be forced to use a small unreadable font size for anything in Linux or use a small mouse pointer.

Regards,
Martini260

Hi, I had a similar VBox issue until I increased the number of Cores/Threads to 4 and GB to 4 to be on safe side (I have 16 Gb to play with).
Install Gnome Tweak Tool from terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Then go to: https://extensions.gnome.org/ - and install the extension to Firefox - hyperlink near top of page.

Then look at these add-ons: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... xt-scaler/
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... iswitcher/

Also take a look at 'budgie': https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/gui-for- ... ntion/9975

As for the mouse: Settings | Universal Access | Cusror Size: (there is a bug in largest that makes it disappear, screen tearing, pixel window tears):

Cursor Size.jpg

Cursor Size2.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:42:43 pm

jwsp1 wrote:Just found out that sound doesn't work on my Lenovo Miix 310 convertible. Also the hardware buttons won't do anything. Working fine on other distros, like manjaro.

On boot/startup, I get to see log-code: first, the zorin boot animation appears, then code, then login screen.

Let's not forget, mainstream hardware was designed for that other OS and not GNU/Linux - this thread may be of help to you:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Disc ... 125/page/3

as Zorin 15 Beta is based on Ubuntu 18.04.2

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:45:53 pm

Astyanax wrote:Another issue is about language in LiveCD.

Scenario to reproduce:
1) Boot from LiveCD
2) Choose language, different from English (I chose Russian)
3) Open terminal
4) Try to type "ping google.com" here. It is not possible, because all you have is four russian layouts.
4.1) Without default english layout, it is not possible to type latin-letters passwords and site URL's.

To fix this annoyance, I propose to add default english layout at the end of every non-english variant of LiveCD, so the user could easily choose it from language menu.

I think this is an issue with a lot of GNU/Linux distributions that, because of there US centric requirements (goodness knows why - "There is no f in sulphur!"). This is partly due to space requirements of the image and most distributions these days have to install using the English language and replace with desired after installation - a live iso in the end is mainly to see if it will work before install. What I would do after install is make a custom .iso with your preferred language and then make bootable thumb drive after that. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:50:03 pm

knu wrote:

Not had themes disappear but noticed that for the 'mac' look and feel, no option for the panel to be centralised like earlier Zorin releases.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:52:35 pm

Astyanax wrote:Hi, I have an issue I've been told off for Zorin :)

How to reproduce the bug:
1) Boot from live USB
2) Connect to the internet
3) After minute or two observe time change from 8:50 AM to 6:50 AM (I live in GMT +2)

System from Live CD/USB should not adjust any single setting on the PC it boots from.

Problem exists in Zorin 15 beta and Zorin 12.4 Ultimate. The host PC contains Windows and could not connect to certain sites until the clock was syncrhonized due to computer and real time discrepancy.

That other OS really doesn't value your software freedoms!:

https://lifehacker.com/fix-incorrect-cl ... ti-5742148

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:55:04 pm

New To Zorin wrote:Is the new boot screen temporary?
The old one was fine and beautiful and I don’t like the new one

While using zorin connect the cursor didn’t move in the desktop and typing was not working to.
Please post zorin connect on f-droid to.

Hi, that is the new logo - and not going to change - I did prefer the earliest alpha without the glow - they said people might think nothing was happening without the glow - guess I'll have to run alpha and save the plymouth them then use a plymouth manager to install the non-glowing version! :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:59:19 pm

martini260 wrote:I realize Zorin OS 15 is in beta but the font size on the Zorin menu and context menus is unusable. This needs to be fixed immediately. I have attached screen shots. Also Zorin OS 15 beta refuses to shutdown normally, I have to close the vm. See attached.

Regards,
Martini260

If you are finding text too small, install gnome-tweak-tool in a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal):

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Then go to here: https://extensions.gnome.org/
Install the add-on to firefox to enable you to install very useful extras:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... xt-scaler/
and possibly this one:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... iswitcher/
;) :D

jwsp1

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
jwsp1 wrote:Just found out that sound doesn't work on my Lenovo Miix 310 convertible. Also the hardware buttons won't do anything. Working fine on other distros, like manjaro.

Let's not forget, mainstream hardware was designed for that other OS and not GNU/Linux - this thread may be of help to you:

Thank you. I just tried Ubuntu 18.10 for fun, and all issues are gone (whereas with 18.04.2, the same issues appeared).
Hope Zorin 15.1 will be based on Ubuntu 18.10, so I can use Zorin then :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:38:12 pm

To those who have queried theming, once you have gnome-tweak-tool installed you can install GTK 3 themes you have downloaded from gnome-look.org:

Transparent Shell Theme.jpg

After downloading, and once gnome-tweak-tool is installed ('Tweaks') you can choose your downloaded theme (no need to extract):

Theme chooser.jpg

Select a theme.jpg

Then use the drop-down box to select your desired theme:

Transparent shell theme.jpg

and voila!:

Transparent desktop.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:40:10 pm

jwsp1 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

Thank you. I just tried Ubuntu 18.10 for fun, and all issues are gone (whereas with 18.04.2, the same issues appeared).
Hope Zorin 15.1 will be based on Ubuntu 18.10, so I can use Zorin then :)

Hi, a fellow mod has advised me that if I install kernel v5.03 it might resolve my sound etc issues - will let you know! ;) :D

jwsp1

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09:34 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, a fellow mod has advised me that if I install kernel v5.03 it might resolve my sound etc issues - will let you know! ;) :D

You have the same issues? Awesome :P
Just checked: ubuntu 18.10 (where I had no problems) has linux kernel 4.18. And Zorin 15 also has kernel 4.18, so I doubt that upgrading kernel will help here.
Anyways, please let me know if you know more.

OmegaDMM

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:38:31 am

So I tried a few things to fix the flickering to black and back to DE effect. 1. I set the resolution to the next support 16:9 resolution 1280x720 (idk why Zorin/Unbuntu with Intel HD2000 does not support 1600x900, but I am not a linux coder so I guess I will just accept it is difficult to do), this does stop the flicker. 2. Since 1280x720 is kinda unacceptable on a 55" 4k monitor I tried updating the kernel to 5.1-rc2 which is working thus far (I realize I shouldn't expect support on this part as the kernel should be 4.18) and after retrying the 1920x1080 resolution did the flickering as it did before (no improvement). 3. So I tried the 1920x1080i (interlaced) and oddly enough my lcd is supporting it and the flicker has stop!

Although when scrolling I notice the interlacing fuzzing effect but it is better than the flicker. I hope this helps.

SleepyD

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:00:39 am

I received the update for Zorin Appearance. It opens and works great now. I can't wait for this to be released.

I cannot get the Weather to show in the calendar. I click to select a location. It brings up the location box. I start to type a zip code and it crashes after I enter the first number in the zip code. I have location services enabled but it doesn't pull my location for it.

svatas

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:34:08 am

I was unable to add any PPA via GUI, just via terminal. When using Software Update, the button Settings is not working or even there is no app called "Software settings" (I do not know the proper name as I am using Czech language in Zorin.

zorinantwerp

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:31:28 am

Hi

svatas wrote:I was unable to add any PPA via GUI, just via terminal. When using Software Update, the button Settings is not working or even there is no app called "Software settings" (I do not know the proper name as I am using Czech language in Zorin.

server in Czech Republik. suggest the software updater be set to downloading from 'headserver'

ppa via Terminal is appropriate. have you checked presence of the prog involved to be/or not under 'software'
suggest to switch to 'english' using the Beta for time being.
thanks for your comments.
:)

zorinantwerp

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39:27 am

SleepyD wrote:I received the update for Zorin Appearance. It opens and works great now. I can't wait for this to be released.

I cannot get the Weather to show in the calendar. I click to select a location. It brings up the location box. I start to type a zip code and it crashes after I enter the first number in the zip code. I have location services enabled but it doesn't pull my location for it.

hi,
tks your comments,

please see earlier on reply given by Swarfendor437 to the same issue reported.
I personally refer to Meteo which can be found under 'software'.
it is far more superior and appears in your taskbar. :)

regards

masternetra

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30:49 pm

SleepyD wrote:I received the update for Zorin Appearance. It opens and works great now. I can't wait for this to be released.

Yea works for me now after the update too.

OmegaDMM

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:19:22 pm

Zorin Appearance is now working for me as well!

The weather function is now searching for cities, however it seems if you type characters beyond what is available in the list it will immediately close (crash?) example: I type Nash and multiple Nashvilles appear, if I type Nashr than it will close since no city has that match. Also it is not actually pulling weather info after I successfully load a city. I realize a suggestion is to use another program, however that isn't the point here since we are dealing with OS feedback and not "how I can improve my personal experience with other programs". Perhaps we should suggest replacing the faulty program with the suggested Meteo?

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:25:36 pm

Yes it is crashing in my install of Beta 2 - worked fine in alpha 4!

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:30:19 pm

jwsp1 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, a fellow mod has advised me that if I install kernel v5.03 it might resolve my sound etc issues - will let you know! ;) :D

You have the same issues? Awesome :P
Just checked: ubuntu 18.10 (where I had no problems) has linux kernel 4.18. And Zorin 15 also has kernel 4.18, so I doubt that upgrading kernel will help here.
Anyways, please let me know if you know more.

I can only get sound through my HDMI connection, not audio from either on-board or Creative Audigy Rx :( Also when trying to use VGA (I no longer have my DVI Monitor - that is in use with family member) I have a 32" Sanyo LED TV and after upgrading the kernel the graphics went downhill to 1024 x 768 - now using the nVidia 390 drivers and can't use interlace as it shows 30 Hz where as 1920 x 1080 shows correct 59.94 Hz (almost correct 60 Hz!)

AZorin

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57:11 am

Thanks for all the detailed feedback so far, it's been super helpful in finding the flaws that we didn't find when testing earlier builds of Zorin OS 15 ourselves.
So far, we've been able to fix the following issues in the latest software updates:
- Zorin Appearance not opening (thanks for posting the Terminal output masternetra, that led us to the fix)
- the Software icon now always appears in the Zorin menu, even when non-Zorin icon themes are selected (thanks Astyanax)
- will change "Check disk for defects" to "Check installation medium for defects" in the stable build of Zorin OS 15 (thanks Astyanax)
- added options in Zorin Appearance to show "Date" and "Seconds" in the panel clock, as well as week numbers in the calendar menu
- "Shell" theme dropdown menu in the "Other theme" section of Zorin Appearance now always shows the correct theme, and is now blank switching to the Zorin colour desktop themes
- desktop app shortcuts are now launchable by default (without needing to mark them as trusted) and show the correct app icon and name. It's now also possible to drag and drop the app icon from the Zorin menu onto the desktop
- "Show Desktop Button" in the panel is now bigger and more visible with an icon (thanks for the suggestion pcfan5)
- will fix the automatic time changing issue in Live mode in the stable build of Zorin OS 15 (thanks Astyanax)

We've noted the other bugs you've found and we're doing our best to fix as many as we can in time for the stable release.

To answer some of the questions you have asked:
- Going forward, Zorin OS 15 Core and Ultimate will only be available in 64 bit versions, but we will release both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the Lite and Lite Ultimate editions
- We do not include the proprietary media codecs on the Live ISO, but the Zorin OS installer should download and install them onto the hard drive installation unless this option is disabled on the 2nd page of the installer. This behaviour is the same as in Zorin OS 12
- If you have the Zorin OS 15 Beta installed, running the Software Updater as soon as the stable version is released will upgrade you to the stable Core edition of Zorin OS 15
- It is now pssible to make the file and desktop icon sizes smaller than in Zorin OS 12 by opening the 3 dot menu in the File browser (beside the window controls) and pressing the minus button
- @martini260 You can increase the font size everywhere (including the Zorin menu, context menus and panel clock) by opening the Zorin menu > Settings > Universal Access and switching on "Large Text". You can add launchers to the panel by right-clicking on the app icon and selecting "Add to Favourites"
- @Swarfendor437 The 3rd desktop layout (in Zorin Appearance) in the Zorin OS 15 Beta is the new touch layout and not a replacement for the macOS layout. The macOS-like desktop layout will be available in the Ultimate edition of Zorin OS 15 when the stable version will be released, just like in Zorin OS 12

Once again, thanks for the feedback!

P.S. After testing on multiple computers in both X and Wayland, we weren't able to replicate the issue with the largest cursor size. @Swarfendor437 perhaps the issue might be related to how your graphics card interacts with the newer NVIDIA drivers

BeatlesFan#1

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:34:26 am

Hello,

One bug i found is that right button on my touch pad work as a primary button instead of giving me pop up menus. Works fine on Zorin 12.4. I am using laptop ASUS N550J. I hope it is fixed in a final release. I tested this with a wireless logitech gaming mouse and works just fine. Thank you for your work.

UPDATE: figured out, that i need to use 2 finger tap for that. PLEASE ADD OPTION TO SWITCH BETWEEN 2 FINGER TAP AND CLICK SO WE DONT HAVE TO INSTALL GNOME TWEAK!

Again Thank you very much.

iampedro

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:18:30 pm

Can you make sure this works on Lenovo P52 touch screens with dual video cards... Will it work that way?

zabadabadoo

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08:54 pm

I am still running the Beta off USB (with persistence), so maybe I'm not seeing appearance improvements.
I have a couple of more questions:

1. I like the default theme in 12.4Core. Will it be possible to set taskbar backround different from windows i.e. Taskbar dark backgroud with white or light blue text, Windows white with light blue text?
2. Also will it be possible to make taskbar semi transparent (% opacity setting) as can do in 12.4Core.
3. I Can't see Synaptic Package Manager listed in software, even if I use Search. Is Synaptic not going to be part of the Core package or am I missing a trick?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47:30 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:I am still running the Beta off USB (with persistence), so maybe I'm not seeing appearance improvements.
I have a couple of more questions:

1. I like the default theme in 12.4Core. Will it be possible to set taskbar backround different from windows i.e. Taskbar dark backgroud with white or light blue text, Windows white with light blue text?
2. Also will it be possible to make taskbar semi transparent (% opacity setting) as can do in 12.4Core.
3. I Can't see Synaptic Package Manager listed in software, even if I use Search. Is Synaptic not going to be part of the Core package or am I missing a trick?

From recollection, Synaptic Package Manager was never present by default - that is why I included mentioning it in the unofficial Manual I compiled. You should easily be able to install via the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Another word of advice, make sure you always boot into the Zorin Desktop as synaptic does not play with Wayland Graphics protocol - the other option to boot into on Zorin 15 Beta. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:48:45 pm

BeatlesFan#1 wrote:Hello,

One bug i found is that right button on my touch pad work as a primary button instead of giving me pop up menus. Works fine on Zorin 12.4. I am using laptop ASUS N550J. I hope it is fixed in a final release. I tested this with a wireless logitech gaming mouse and works just fine. Thank you for your work.

UPDATE: figured out, that i need to use 2 finger tap for that. PLEASE ADD OPTION TO SWITCH BETWEEN 2 FINGER TAP AND CLICK SO WE DONT HAVE TO INSTALL GNOME TWEAK!

Gnome Tweak is STILL very useful! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50:08 pm

There is one more accessibility option that is no longer present in Zorin 15 Beta - mouse locator - this was available in Zorin 12.x - failing that it would be interesting to see if Compiz works with Zorin 15 to get the mouse cursor locator working in that if not. ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:12:17 pm

Brasero would not burn, K3b would not burn - solution here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1032903 ... n-the-devi

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:21:42 pm

Whoopee! I finally can see ink levels in Canon Printer!!! :D :D :D

Ink levels.jpg

vasromand_

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21:00 am

Hello.

I found I can't change shortcut for switch keyboard layout to ALT+SHIFT. The system ignores SHIFT button.

Sam

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:33:12 am

Dear All,

I truied to intall the latest Zorin beta version Zorin OS 15 core beta 64 bit via booting from a bootable USB stick. Now, I got the following mesage: "loading /casper/vmlinuz failed: no such file or directory"

After I checked the USB stick I did find a Casper map with the followng files; filesystem.manifest; ....manifest-remove; .....size; .........squashfs;..........squashfs.gpg; initrid.Iz4; vmlinuz.

("........." = filesystem).

so there seem to be a vmlinuz file there. Does anyone have experience with this? Is the vmlinuz file broken one way or another?

Thank you and greets,

Sam

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54:59 pm

Sam wrote:Dear All,

I truied to intall the latest Zorin beta version Zorin OS 15 core beta 64 bit via booting from a bootable USB stick. Now, I got the following mesage: "loading /casper/vmlinuz failed: no such file or directory"

After I checked the USB stick I did find a Casper map with the followng files; filesystem.manifest; ....manifest-remove; .....size; .........squashfs;..........squashfs.gpg; initrid.Iz4; vmlinuz.

("........." = filesystem).

so there seem to be a vmlinuz file there. Does anyone have experience with this? Is the vmlinuz file broken one way or another?

Thank you and greets,

Sam

Please see this thread: https://askubuntu.com/questions/631913/ ... ad-error-0

zabadabadoo

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:17:03 pm

Is Clam/Clamtk going to be part of 15Core package.
I'm sure it was in 12.4 Core as, I asked a question about it on here.
This was before I had installed Synaptic for other stuff.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35:41 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:Is Clam/Clamtk going to be part of 15Core package.
I'm sure it was in 12.4 Core as, I asked a question about it on here.
This was before I had installed Synaptic for other stuff.

I'm not aware of any plans to include clam AV but you should have no issue installing via synaptic.

BeatlesFan#1

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:20:47 pm

Code:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

True, but terminal command is quicker ;)

For someone who prefer to do this in a terminal and not installing GNOME Tweak tool:

Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method areas
(right click) or
Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method fingers
(default 2 finger)

Astyanax

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55:00 am

vasromand_ wrote:Hello.

I found I can't change shortcut for switch keyboard layout to ALT+SHIFT. The system ignores SHIFT button.

Hi! If you need alt-shift toggle, you can change it with gnome-tweaks or gsettings utility.
Here is how to do it: https://askubuntu.com/questions/967364/ubuntu-17-10-and-later-cant-change-the-input-switching-shortcut-to-altshift

I think it would be useful to add shortcuts that can't be entered in a form of drop-down menu to the Settings -> Devices -> Keyboard -> Switch to {next, previous} input source.

ian4238

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04:27 am

As a complete amateur using Zorin since v.5, I found Zorin 15 fantastic. I ran it live on my desktop W10/Zorin 12 Lite, then ran it on my 11" notebook. Amazingly It connected WiFi immediately (first time ever - normally spend hours on it). DESKTOP ICONS ARE STILL A BIT BIG, but better than before. I did not miss the 'pulsating "Z" at startup. At first I was going to suggest a 'search box' on Games Software, but then found you could view it alphabetically. In Games, I found Aisleriot Solitaire and Sudoku easily, but are there any other Solitaires? I looked for any pinball games but could not find any. You can get Emilia Pinball from Synaptic. I thought you may have set up a startup sound at least, but nothing. For camera downloads you have gone back to Shotwell, but I have found that "Camera" suits me better. Using Zorin 12 Ultimate and Lite, 'Weather' always says "Forecast not available" (I am in Perth Australia), but it works in Z15.
Last of all, there is no easy way to add items to the Panel - what happened to Right click?
I could not get the clock time correct while running live, but I assume it will come right on installation?

Overall, I think Zorin 15 is great!

albano

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:43:59 pm

ian4238 wrote:As a complete amateur using Zorin since v.5, I found Zorin 15 fantastic. I ran it live on my desktop W10/Zorin 12 Lite, then ran it on my 11" notebook. Amazingly It connected WiFi immediately (first time ever - normally spend hours on it). DESKTOP ICONS ARE STILL A BIT BIG, but better than before. I did not miss the 'pulsating "Z" at startup. At first I was going to suggest a 'search box' on Games Software, but then found you could view it alphabetically. In Games, I found Aisleriot Solitaire and Sudoku easily, but are there any other Solitaires? I looked for any pinball games but could not find any. You can get Emilia Pinball from Synaptic. I thought you may have set up a startup sound at least, but nothing. For camera downloads you have gone back to Shotwell, but I have found that "Camera" suits me better. Using Zorin 12 Ultimate and Lite, 'Weather' always says "Forecast not available" (I am in Perth Australia), but it works in Z15.
Last of all, there is no easy way to add items to the Panel - what happened to Right click?
I could not get the clock time correct while running live, but I assume it will come right on installation?

Hi,
you can enable the startup sound by going to startup programs.
Just flag on the startup sound and restart (we have not enabled by default)
You will have the new sound in Zorin 15.
instead, for the other problems we are working to fix them.
Thank you for your feedback.
Regards,
Albano

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:20:00 pm

BeatlesFan#1 wrote:
Code:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

True, but terminal command is quicker ;)

For someone who prefer to do this in a terminal and not installing GNOME Tweak tool:

Code:
(right click) or
Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method fingers
(default 2 finger)

I know where you are coming from, what I meant to say was that Gnome Tweak has a host more useful apps like key indicator (Alt, Shift, numlock, capslock, Ctrl), synaptic button (so you don't have to type or search, its in the panel! I'm sure there's more - Gnome Tweak is extremely useful - so don't knock it! ;)

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:21:31 pm

ian4238 wrote:As a complete amateur using Zorin since v.5, I found Zorin 15 fantastic. I ran it live on my desktop W10/Zorin 12 Lite, then ran it on my 11" notebook. Amazingly It connected WiFi immediately (first time ever - normally spend hours on it). DESKTOP ICONS ARE STILL A BIT BIG, but better than before. I did not miss the 'pulsating "Z" at startup. At first I was going to suggest a 'search box' on Games Software, but then found you could view it alphabetically. In Games, I found Aisleriot Solitaire and Sudoku easily, but are there any other Solitaires? I looked for any pinball games but could not find any. You can get Emilia Pinball from Synaptic. I thought you may have set up a startup sound at least, but nothing. For camera downloads you have gone back to Shotwell, but I have found that "Camera" suits me better. Using Zorin 12 Ultimate and Lite, 'Weather' always says "Forecast not available" (I am in Perth Australia), but it works in Z15.

You right-click and add to 'favourites' - which is the Panel! ;) :D
I'd forgotten about emilia pinball - but perhaps everything might change when Zorin updates (ultimage?) with Proton Steam for Windows games?

rainfactor

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:22:59 pm

After running the latest update my system got stuck at :

"Strt job is running for hold until process finishes up"

Any ideas how to get past this?

rainfactor

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:30:54 pm

Purging the NVIDIA drivers allowed me to get back in

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:31:20 pm

albano wrote:

Hi,
you can enable the startup sound by going to startup programs.
Just flag on the startup sound and restart (we have not enabled by default)
You will have the new sound in Zorin 15.
instead, for the other problems we are working to fix them.
Thank you for your feedback.
Regards,
Albano

Hi Albano,

I would love it to be possible for sound at login screen! :D

system-ready.zip
(143.43 KiB)

and on arriving at Desktop:

desktop-login.zip
(323.08 KiB)

and on exit:

desktop-logout.zip
(209.68 KiB)

The last two work in Cinnamon DE and I think xfce. ;) :D

AZorin

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:56:09 pm

We have recently released a software update which should fix the crashes in Gnome Weather.

The mouse Pointer Location option was previously accessible from Gnome Tweaks in the Keyboard & Mouse tab in Zorin OS 12, and it is still present there in Zorin OS 15. Please note that this option only works in X and not Wayland.

The keyboard shortcut to switch keyboard layouts is Super/Logo+Space, but this setting can be changed from Zorin menu > Settings > Devices > Keyboard.

You can reduce he size of the desktop and file icons by opening the File browser, clicking on the 3 dot button (in the top-right side of the window) and pressing the "-" button.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15:54 pm

AZorin wrote:We have recently released a software update which should fix the crashes in Gnome Weather.

The mouse Pointer Location option was previously accessible from Gnome Tweaks in the Keyboard & Mouse tab in Zorin OS 12, and it is still present there in Zorin OS 15. Please note that this option only works in X and not Wayland.

The keyboard shortcut to switch keyboard layouts is Super/Logo+Space, but this setting can be changed from Zorin menu > Settings > Devices > Keyboard.

You can reduce he size of the desktop and file icons by opening the File browser, clicking on the 3 dot button (in the top-right side of the window) and pressing the "-" button.

Hi, Many thanks for reminding me about mouse location in Tweaks. ;) :D

Janlam

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:04:32 pm

pctheheck wrote:Can you please tell me the release date of Zorin OS 15?

Yes, please answer. We would all like to know... At least a vague idea when Zorin OS 15 final release will be available. 1 month, 6 months, a year? Thank you!
P.S. I just found this information from the Zorin Site Admin:
- If you have the Zorin OS 15 Beta installed, running the Software Updater as soon as the stable version is released will upgrade you to the stable Core edition of Zorin OS 15

That solves my worries. Meaning to me that I can count on not having to reinstall once the final release is available. Maybe it partly answers your question?

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:22:43 pm

Having a VB error - installed 6.04 from Oracle's website and complained could not find dkms module in Kernel headers 5.03 and attempting to install failed. Removed 6.04 and installed 5.2.18 from Software - same issue - booted into the default kernel of 4.18 and get this error message and can't be solved:

Vbox error.jpg

Axel7

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:19:43 pm

I installed Zorin OS 15, but I saw that animations are not smooth and slow. I think it's maybe due to the driver of the GPU.
How can I install the official Intel driver? There is any way (like deepinOS?) ?

Specs of the PC which Zorin is installed on:
Intel Celeron N2840
4GB Ram, 500GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics Bay Trail

zorinantwerp

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:42:34 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Having a VB error - installed 6.04 from Oracle's website and complained could not find dkms module in Kernel headers 5.03 and attempting to install failed. Removed 6.04 and installed 5.2.18 from Software - same issue - booted into the default kernel of 4.18 and get this error message and can't be solved:

Vbox error.jpg

perhaps you must enable Hardware Virtualization VT-d/AMD-V from your BIOS settings.
I always try Zorin OS to act like Arch :P
+++

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:24:13 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Having a VB error - installed 6.04 from Oracle's website and complained could not find dkms module in Kernel headers 5.03 and attempting to install failed. Removed 6.04 and installed 5.2.18 from Software - same issue - booted into the default kernel of 4.18 and get this error message and can't be solved:

Vbox error.jpg

perhaps you must enable Hardware Virtualization VT-d/AMD-V from your BIOS settings.
I always try Zorin OS to act like Arch :P
+++

Hi, I have made no changes to the BIOS in which I ran VB on Zorin 15 alpha and alpha 4. :o :shock:

Aravisian

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:28:30 pm

Axel7 wrote:I installed Zorin OS 15, but I saw that animations are not smooth and slow. I think it's maybe due to the driver of the GPU.
How can I install the official Intel driver? There is any way (like deepinOS?) ?

Specs of the PC which Zorin is installed on:
Intel Celeron N2840
4GB Ram, 500GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics Bay Trail

Hey there, Axel. I had the same issue and tried using the Official Intel driver and things got messy. Why not try updating both the xorg and the intel individually and testing which one works best for you? For me updating xorg was perfection on my system.

In terminal:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

This applies to Ubuntu 18.04

For X.org
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all

You need the "Input-all."
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

luckyboy

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:18:18 am

HI guys i cannot create shortcut from Chromium..doesnt matter the page it always being created with default Zorin home page.Plese fix this,thanks

FinixFighter

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:33:51 pm

I like the new version! :D The only think that I'm asking is if there will be Wine preinstalled in the stable version?! :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:30:49 pm

luckyboy wrote:HI guys i cannot create shortcut from Chromium..doesnt matter the page it always being created with default Zorin home page.Plese fix this,thanks

You can fix the start page yourself by:
1. Changing your software source for updates to Main Server
2. Open settings and make the home page of your choice.

Zorin never came with Chrome but Chromium. Because Chrome doesn't come from the repos that will possibly why you can't create a shortcut by right-click but if you open the main menu and select properties Create a new shortcut and add the command line from properties to launch.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:53:06 pm

FinixFighter wrote:I like the new version! :D The only think that I'm asking is if there will be Wine preinstalled in the stable version?! :)

I don't think it will but it does work with the latest version of wine.

Gapplegate

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24:59 am

Greetings to the Zorin Community,

i've spun around the Zorin OS 15 beta for a small bit, but i have a few questions:

-Will 15 also have an lite version just like 12 had? as much as i don't mind the GNOME Desktop, i don't have the resources on any of my computers to handle it. (if so, will lite also include most if not all of the features core has? specially Zorin Connect, as i'd find myself using that alot.)
-Will Wine be included on the final release? (if so, will PlayOnLinux and Lutris also be included?)
-Why 15 instead of 13?

Questions Aside, Zorin OS 15 is looking promising!

zorinantwerp

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:56:57 am

Hi

Zorin OS 15 Lite will be launched a few weeks after the full stable release of Zorin OS 15 which in turn is awaited end April.
Cross fingers :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:03:50 pm

Gapplegate wrote:Will Wine be included on the final release? (if so, will PlayOnLinux and Lutris also be included?)
-Why 15 instead of 13?
Questions Aside, Zorin OS 15 is looking promising!

In respect of Wine see my earlier response to another member in this thread.
Why 15? because if you pay attention, all major Long Term Releases of Zorin go up in 3's - Zorin 6 = Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Zorin 9 = Ubutnu 14.04 LTS, Zorini 12 = Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Zorin 15 = Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

crazyporscheman

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:46:25 pm

As a long-time Linux user and almost always sticking with the Ubuntu-based family of distros on my main machine I've always really liked Zorin. It's always been rock solid, looked great, and back in the days I needed a fair amount of support it was always there. Zorin 15, even in it's Beta form, upholds those feelings. It took a while for the newest version to launch but the hard work and dedicated effort of the Developers shows through. Thanks for a great release and I'm looking forward to the Ultimate version!

Now, one word of caution which may be helpful...

When I install a distro, I always opt to have the full disk encrypted without exception. On my one laptop that I devote to just "screwing around" with new distros. I installed Zorin 15 Beta with the hard drive encrypted and set off on a journey of installing different apps, playing around with themes and appearance, adding some Gnome extensions that I like, and generally just "screwing around".

Once I got the OS set to where I liked it, I went through the process of application removal and after running the 'remove' and 'purge' commands to whittle the installed apps down to what I wanted and use i then ran the 'autoremove' command as a standard practice. My thought has always been that if there are packages on my machine that are no longer needed to get rid of them.

Hence the only issue I've ran in to...running the 'auoremove' command to do my house cleaning removed the following: 'cryptsetup', 'cryptsetup-bin', 'dmeventd', 'libdevmapper-event1.02.1', 'liblvm2app2.2', 'liblvm2cmd2.02', and 'libreadline5 lvm2'. Once I turned the machine off and attempted to re-start it, the prompt for my decryption password disappeared from the start-up splash. I have not researched what each of the mentioned packages are or what they do but in looking at the names, I essentially removed the encryption and volume management...I'm sure that's what caused the problem so I re-installed the OS, did the updates then ran 'autoremove' and duplicated the broken OS installation...lesson learned.

Hope this post is of some value to the Devs and/or Users of the newest Zorin!

Keep up the great work!!!!

jesus89

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:40:33 pm

Good afternoon, there is the possibility that you can add the option of scaling resolution adjustable to another percentage. For example at 125% or 150%, it is very annoying for a 4k screen, as the objects look too small. I have high hopes for this project, greetings.

jwsp1

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37:58 am

Is there any way to move the date below the clock (stacked). It would take less space and look a little prettier. Same with the percentage of the battery, it could also be below the battery symbol.

luckyboy

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:18:53 am

jwsp1 wrote:Is there any way to move the date below the clock (stacked). It would take less space and look a little prettier. Same with the percentage of the battery, it could also be below the battery symbol.

Totally agree! Windows style is 100 times better

Alfetta159

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:30:33 am

I am trying it on an old ASUS Netbook that has a touch screen.

Every time it boots, the display is rotated left, and I have to use
Code:
xrandr
to correct it. I can't see where I can set up a custom keyboard shortcut, nor do I see a setting for rotation in the display settings.

I would like to know how to make this 'permanent'.

Hi
can you try following under Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) insert
Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.orientation active false

Click on the upper right corner of your screen to get mini settings drop down. Click on the third icon from the right on the bottom of the drop down (it looks like a rectangle at 45 degrees). It should then show a small lock icon on the rectangle. That locks the rotation.

custom keyboard shortcut? in taskbar? (have to check out)

+++

Alfetta159

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10:52 am

OS seems to treat both left and right buttons of my Elan track pad as the same (single click)

I can only do a right click with two finger tap.

BeatlesFan#1

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:14:03 pm

Alfetta159 wrote:OS seems to treat both left and right buttons of my Elan track pad as the same (single click)

I can only do a right click with two finger tap.

I posted it a few days ago. It is a default settings, but you can change it either by installing gnome tweaks or using a terminal:

Code:

This line will give you right click back.

For the Devs: 2 finger tap does not work in a firefox browser for me at all.

jwsp1

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:48:26 pm

On my convertible, I would love to see another option on "When power button is pressed": "Turn off screen" (see attached photo).
Also on my convertible, the on-screen keyboard does not always automatically show up when selecting a text-field (e.g. to log in the Spotify app). Works 90% of the time though.
Is there a possibility to place a shortcut on taskbar to easily open on-screen keyboard?
Additionally to that, Zorin menu (3rd option enabled on zorin appearance) does not always open by a touch-click on the symbol. It immediately opens when I use a touchpad/mouse, but takes 5-10 finger taps on touchscreen...
Found out that not only the whole display is rotated (as reported by several users here, but my trick is to lock rotation after I rotated the whole device), but that also bluetooth does not work (sound/microphone neither).

Hope that major issues will get fixed before the stable release - can't wait to use zorin daily! Thank you for your awesome work guys!

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:32:06 pm

jwsp1 wrote:On my convertible, I would love to see another option on "When power button is pressed": "Turn off screen" (see attached photo).
Also on my convertible, the on-screen keyboard does not always automatically show up when selecting a text-field (e.g. to log in the Spotify app). Works 90% of the time though.
Is there a possibility to place a shortcut on taskbar to easily open on-screen keyboard?
Additionally to that, Zorin menu (3rd option enabled on zorin appearance) does not always open by a touch-click on the symbol. It immediately opens when I use a touchpad/mouse, but takes 5-10 finger taps on touchscreen...
Found out that not only the whole display is rotated (as reported by several users here, but my trick is to lock rotation after I rotated the whole device), but that also bluetooth does not work (sound/microphone neither).

Hope that major issues will get fixed before the stable release - can't wait to use zorin daily! Thank you for your awesome work guys!

The only way at present is to keep universal access showing at all times, select that in the panel then select on-screen keyboard from the pop-up menu.

zorinantwerp

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:00:05 pm

Hi,

just a try out :)
under menu 'software' install 'on screen keyboard button'
it brings you 'a' which is a shortcut in the taskbar bringing it up

in fact it is added to the startup files so visible during logging in

+++

Axel7

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:36:55 am

Hello! =)
I tested ZorinOS 15 on many PCs and laptop, and I'm very happy of this new OS!

1. User Interface:
Omg... It's better than Windows 10 (for me)! It's user-friendly, beautiful, simple and modern! Wow! Some animations are a quite slow but I think know why, it's because this version is Beta and may be fixed with next versions. I love the new feature of live wallpaper!

2. Compatibility:
Well, I had some problems with the hardware:

With the laptop HP-15r128nf:
Wifi: works || Graphics Accelerations: OK || Touchpad: Don't work correctly, it's not precise || Keyboard: works || Luminosity: Works || Shutdown/Reboot: don't work, when I want to shut down or reboot the system, the screen is black, but the computer is not off.

With the desktop HP Pavailion 590 Gaming p-00000 series:
Wifi: Don't work || USB-WIFI: don't work (normaly work with Linux, macOS and Windows but not Zorin) || Graphics Accelerations: Perfect (nVidia Modern)

With the convertible Dell Venue 10 PRO 5055:
Wifi: Don't work || Bluetooth: Work || All work but Zorin freezes sometimes

What I want for next releases:
More hardware support, the taskbar of the Zorin Layout (based on Gnome) can be used for the Windows Layout with Start Menu.
More live wallpapers, speed up more the boot, why not to add Android apps compatible with Zorin (there is for example, Anbox that can be intergrated to Zorin like Wine)? And that's all! =)

I know that's just a Beta, but the major problem of Zorin for now is the hardware support, without this problem, Zorin is the PERFECT alternative to Windows or others OS. If it's fixed, ZorinOS will be my daily-use OS!

BeatlesFan#1

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:45:48 pm

intellihide option of the taskbar does not work properly for me when using windows button. Attaching an screen shot. As you can see in a left bottom corner, taskbar cant be seen.

jwsp1

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50:13 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi,

just a try out :)
under menu 'software' install 'on screen keyboard button'
it brings you 'a' which is a shortcut in the taskbar bringing it up

in fact it is added to the startup files so visible during logging in

+++

Thank you for your kind help! I really appreciate it.
Since I had other problems with the convertible, I bought a new laptop - Hope that I won't face any issues with the new acer device (in combination with zorin).
Thank you anyways, and keep up the great work!

ryu_joko

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:24:02 am

hi, im currently using Smartboard SB480 and i've tried to install software and driver from previous post. (https://support.smarttech.com/en/downlo ... uage=en_US), bust still, i cant make it work.

maybe this link will help?
http://downloads.smarttech.com/media/si ... 9may12.pdf

http://downloads.smarttech.com/media/si ... 9feb12.pdf

thank you!

natokun

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:58:51 pm

Fresh install and forum account just for the feedback.

So, i have a GTX 970 and decided to give it a go on the (Install with modern NVIDIA drivers) and the installation was ok, but once i removed the install media and reseted i got stuck at the Zorin logo forever. Reset a few more times and reinstalled with the first option and the Nouveau drivers and started flawlessly.

Will update as i notice things.

Keep up the good work

Update 1 - So, i changed the driver on "Additional Drivers" to the nvidia-driver-418 (open source) and after the reset same logo stuck thing happened. Reset, pressed shift, recovery mode, and text showed up saying something about the videocard (will take a photo if happen again) and when selected to continue loading it went ok. Haven reset since.

Update 2 - Yeah, the stuck at logo keeps happening after every reset. Here's the screen i mentioned. Perhaps the card is only loading correctly after recovery mode?
Screen.jpg

Update 3 - So, i removed the "quite splash" on the grub and the line is now GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="", i updated the grup and it got stuck in this part (again, only boots from recovery mode)
Screen Nosplash.jpg

Update 4 - Reverted to quiet splash and added nomodeset, resulting in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset". No zorin logo but no need to enter recovery mode, i can finally boot properly.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39:23 pm

ryu_joko wrote:hi, im currently using Smartboard SB480 and i've tried to install software and driver from previous post. (https://support.smarttech.com/en/downlo ... uage=en_US), bust still, i cant make it work.

maybe this link will help?
http://downloads.smarttech.com/media/si ... 9may12.pdf

http://downloads.smarttech.com/media/si ... 9feb12.pdf

thank you!

I think you will have difficulties with that as the Linux clearly states it is for notebooks, not boards. ;)

El Pingüino Papista

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:38:55 pm

This looks really great. There are some glitches. For example, Night Light will turn on and off during the night (I will notice the screen alternating between red and blue tint). Redshfit does not have this issue. Also, while Zorin Connect is impressive in its ability to remain connected to the phone--even on a school network--it is more annoying than helpful. What is the point of replying to a text on my computer if I cannot see the text history on my computer? Overall, very good.

alex93

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44:47 pm

very nice beta version. I've followed development progress for a couple of years now and I finally switched to Zorin. Thank you for such a great OS!

I've found a couple of bugs and want to share some thoughts / feature requests:
1) on Audio settings, when I hover over "output volume" and move the mouse wheel, it goes the wrong direction
2) startup sounds cannot be turned on, I don't know why
3) On Live System boot, when you select a language other than English, the "Language" on "Region & Language" setting is English (even though everything is on Language XY as selected on boot)
4) I am unable to set the duration of keyboard backlight. It goes off after 30 sec of inactivity, but I'd like to change this (low priority).
5) The whole OS looks super small. For example, Day & Time (on taskbar) is only 0.2cm high. All other fonts, icons, etc are also very small. I found a scale option on display settings, but 200% is WAY to big. Is there a chance you can add 125%, please? It's currently hurting my eyes :roll:
6) left click on a taskbar app symbol (e.g. telegram) behaves like a right click. I'm used that a left click opens the app while right click opens a context menu...
7) I'm not able to find an option for login with fingerprint. Is it not supported? :(
8) when I press "PRINT" button on my keyboard, a screenshot is being made. Unfortunately, it's automatically saved in Photos-Folder and not copied to my clipboard.

For me, my high priority issues are the scale option to 125% (It's really small and really no fun to work with) and fingerprint-reader support for log-in security.
I'm using a Acer Swift 1 Ultra Thin (SF114-32-P78E) 14'' notebook.

Hope I was able to help you!

kpinvt

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:28:18 pm

While running OS 15 beta from a USB stick I had no sound and only intermittent wifi access. None of the fixes for Dummy Output I found on the web worked. I was using a Toshiba Satellite C55 with 8 GB ram.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:21:31 pm

alex93 wrote:very nice beta version. I've followed development progress for a couple of years now and I finally switched to Zorin. Thank you for such a great OS!

I've found a couple of bugs and want to share some thoughts / feature requests:
1) on Audio settings, when I hover over "output volume" and move the mouse wheel, it goes the wrong direction
2) startup sounds cannot be turned on, I don't know why
3) On Live System boot, when you select a language other than English, the "Language" on "Region & Language" setting is English (even though everything is on Language XY as selected on boot)
4) I am unable to set the duration of keyboard backlight. It goes off after 30 sec of inactivity, but I'd like to change this (low priority).
5) The whole OS looks super small. For example, Day & Time (on taskbar) is only 0.2cm high. All other fonts, icons, etc are also very small. I found a scale option on display settings, but 200% is WAY to big. Is there a chance you can add 125%, please? It's currently hurting my eyes :roll:
6) left click on a taskbar app symbol (e.g. telegram) behaves like a right click. I'm used that a left click opens the app while right click opens a context menu...
7) I'm not able to find an option for login with fingerprint. Is it not supported? :(
8) when I press "PRINT" button on my keyboard, a screenshot is being made. Unfortunately, it's automatically saved in Photos-Folder and not copied to my clipboard.

For me, my high priority issues are the scale option to 125% (It's really small and really no fun to work with) and fingerprint-reader support for log-in security.
I'm using a Acer Swift 1 Ultra Thin (SF114-32-P78E) 14'' notebook.

Hope I was able to help you!

5) Install 'Gnome Tweaks' and add Text Scaler - at least you don't have to logout and back in again to see the changes like that other OS!
7) Install Synaptic Package Manager and search for 'fingerprint reader':

fingerprint reader.jpg

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:22:24 pm

kpinvt wrote:While running OS 15 beta from a USB stick I had no sound and only intermittent wifi access. None of the fixes for Dummy Output I found on the web worked. I was using a Toshiba Satellite C55 with 8 GB ram.

Toshiba is one brand of notebook that is not GNU/Linux friendly 'per se'. ;)

alex93

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10:05 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
5) Install 'Gnome Tweaks' and add Text Scaler - at least you don't have to logout and back in again to see the changes like that other OS!

fingerprint reader.jpg

Thank you for the quick answer! I will try it in the next couple of days and update this post. :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47:06 pm

OK, so upgraded my graphics to a 1030Ti (Minimum nvidia card required for Zorin 15 as follows:

Nvidia graphics cards.jpg

As you can see, I was just short of a GT630 for this distro so I leapfrogged a bit to keep relatively up-to-date without breaking the bank.

I have noticed that even with the newer Graphics card, running Zorin 15 Beta in VM on Virtual Box 6 the menus get garbled, particularly System Tools and Utilities - if I move the mouse up and down the menu, the menu items blur into one another and if I move it slowly over each item after this is happened the menu goes dark (no such issues on an install so far).

Something I don't know if amiss, on installed version to hard drive as opposed to VM I notice a user in the users settings that is disabled - but more interestingly is that there is a Language field that is not there under my user as it was in 12 (Region and Language).

abbreviatedman

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:40:32 am

A feature request:

I'm not sure how you folks intend to implement the macOS layout for 15, but if there's a way to integrate a more Mac-like dock (using Plank or Docky or some such) and have it read from the same favorites and look like part of the Zorin OS landscape, I think that would be a better implementation than the straight move-the-current-dock-to-the-bottom approach.

Praise and bug reports incoming sometime this weekend. : )

zorinantwerp

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:28:09 pm

abbreviatedman wrote:A feature request:

I'm not sure how you folks intend to implement the macOS layout for 15, but if there's a way to integrate a more Mac-like dock (using Plank or Docky or some such) and have it read from the same favorites and look like part of the Zorin OS landscape, I think that would be a better implementation than the straight move-the-current-dock-to-the-bottom approach.

Praise and bug reports incoming sometime this weekend. : )

thanks your comments. by tradition in the 'ultimate' Zorin version a macOS appearance is included together with video wallpapers.

+++

abbreviatedman

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:08:10 pm

abbreviatedman wrote:thanks your comments. by tradition in the 'ultimate' Zorin version a macOS appearance is included together with video wallpapers.

Oh, I know, and I own Ultimate, and I love it! What I'm saying is that instead of using the GNOME 3 Dock at the bottom, you could use the Plank or Docky or some such dock for more familiarity for those coming from Mac, as used in elementary and in the "Cupertino" layout in Ubuntu MATE (which is otherwise a little more limited in their layout changes, since they're using MATE). Those docks have more of a Mac-like look and Mac-like animations, with the growing of icons on mouseover.

I'm not sure if it's too late in 15's lifecycle to add that with its first release, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to integrate another kind of dock with the Zorin look and feel, but I think it would really complete your macOS layout.

luckyboy

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42:16 am

Hi, please add Bulgarian language as an option here: https://poeditor.com/join/project/KQlrs233gH

I will voluntarily translate as much as i can,thanks !

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:55:50 am

abbreviatedman wrote:
abbreviatedman wrote:thanks your comments. by tradition in the 'ultimate' Zorin version a macOS appearance is included together with video wallpapers.

Oh, I know, and I own Ultimate, and I love it! What I'm saying is that instead of using the GNOME 3 Dock at the bottom, you could use the Plank or Docky or some such dock for more familiarity for those coming from Mac, as used in elementary and in the "Cupertino" layout in Ubuntu MATE (which is otherwise a little more limited in their layout changes, since they're using MATE). Those docks have more of a Mac-like look and Mac-like animations, with the growing of icons on mouseover.

I'm not sure if it's too late in 15's lifecycle to add that with its first release, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to integrate another kind of dock with the Zorin look and feel, but I think it would really complete your macOS layout.

Zorin 15 is a total rewrite - when I mentioned about Mac Look it has been replaced with the long panel with icons in middle as they are aiming for tablets/touch screens. ;) :D

AZorin

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:03:12 pm

luckyboy wrote:Hi, please add Bulgarian language as an option here: https://poeditor.com/join/project/KQlrs233gH

I will voluntarily translate as much as i can,thanks !

Thanks for letting us know, we've added the Bulgarian language now. Thank you for your kind offer to contribute!

Regarding the macOS layout, we will continue to include it in Zorin OS Ultimate just as before. The new Touch layout will only be replacing the Gnome 2 layout (with the 2 panels on the top and bottom) from previous versions of our Gnome-based editions.
Unfortunately we aren't legally allowed to distribute Zorin OS with the macOS-like dock magnification animation on mouse hover. It sounds very silly but Apple has a patent on the hover animation (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/08/apple_patents_osx_dock/), and this is legally enforceable in countries where software patents are valid like the US, Japan, and South Korea. This is the reason why the elementary OS developers also removed the magnification animation from the version of Plank that they distribute with their OS.

savetier

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:37:57 pm

I was so looking forward to the next Zorin! Until now it was the only Linux distro where everything just works out of the box and I was happily supporting the project by purchasing the ultimate edition :)

Some recommendatons/questions I have:

1. The Zorin Connect with the phone is a great idea. As I am not using Android, but Ubuntu Touch (UBPorts) I wanted to ask if it is possible to connect that too? One of the main reasons I am using Linux (and I guess for many others too) is that I want to avoid the G**gl/Mac/MS triopoly and it would be great and true to the Linux spirit to support open phone OSes like UBPorts and Plasma.

2. Since version 4.5 wine-devel need the library libfaudio0 which is not part of Ubuntu Bionic's repo. It would be great if this could be integrated to Zorin.

3. Also the great programs AegiSub and Avidemux are not part of Bionic. Will they be in Zorin? Please, please! :)

4. Maybe include Vivaldi browser in the browser switcher? IMO the best browser nowadays.

5. Will there be again a lite edition based on XFCE?

However, the new Zorin looks and feels awesome! Thank you for everything! :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:40:38 pm

Hi, I've already stated that there is no intention of shipping wine with Zorin 15 but it will install from the repos. Remember, Zorin is a fork of Ubuntu so it will only have access to the official repos unless you elect to allow unofficial repos to install other software, As for XFCE (Zorin Lite) this usually comes out a few weeks to a month or so after the main OS.

zorinantwerp

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:44:28 pm

Hi

noted secure boot support now in place for Debian
'With Buster RC1, Debian now has secure-boot support. Which means machines which have the secure-boot bit turned on in the machine should be easily able to install Debian on such machines. No need to disable or workaround Secure boot anymore'

any prospects ?

abbreviatedman

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:13:06 pm

AZorin wrote:Regarding the macOS layout, we will continue to include it in Zorin OS Ultimate just as before. The new Touch layout will only be replacing the Gnome 2 layout (with the 2 panels on the top and bottom) from previous versions of our Gnome-based editions.
Unfortunately we aren't legally allowed to distribute Zorin OS with the macOS-like dock magnification animation on mouse hover. It sounds very silly but Apple has a patent on the hover animation (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/08/apple_patents_osx_dock/), and this is legally enforceable in countries where software patents are valid like the US, Japan, and South Korea. This is the reason why the elementary OS developers also removed the magnification animation from the version of Plank that they distribute with their OS.

I didn't know that. That's a crazy bs patent!

Not having that magnification ability, your Mac-like layout is as Mac-like as it gets. Thanks for all the good work on it!

abbreviatedman

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:46:17 pm

I've been having trouble on my main machine with Wayland, but I think that's far more Wayland than Zorin.

On my ThinkPad X200 on the more stable X11, the only issues I'd have so far are the following, in order of importance:

* The theme doesn't give dialog boxes very much visual differentiation between the button that Enter will default to (or the one you've selected by Tabbing) and the rest of them, giving you very little help when navigaitng by keybaord. Adding to that confusing user experience, sometimes there's a much larger visual difference between the rest of the buttons and some highlighted option, e.g. the Log Out option in the Log Out dialog, or the Power Off option in the Power Off dialog. This makes it seem as if that is the option that will be selected when the user presses Enter, when it is not.

* The Extensions extension (inorite?) is probably not the only UI element to suffer from this, but it's the only one I've seen so far: when the panel is on the bottom in the touch layout, the extensions tray menu expands downwards and off the screen. While that extension isn't maybe the most vital, it's a nicety, and this makes it unusable with that layout configuration.

* The Do Not Disturb setting doesn't persist on logout/reboot.

abbreviatedman

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:52:16 pm

AZorin wrote:The new Touch layout will only be replacing the Gnome 2 layout (with the 2 panels on the top and bottom) from previous versions of our Gnome-based editions.

Is it a pain to keep supporting the GNOME 2 layout? Even if it's not my jam, a lot of people like that one. (Witness the popularity of MATE!)

I assumed the Touch layout was replacing the GNOME 3 layout (which it's extremely similar to, with the great touch additions that I've been enjoying on my touchscreen Matebook).

Again, I'm not a GNOME 2 fan, but I do like being able to show potential Linux users all the layouts they can try!

abbreviatedman

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:07:37 am

Fractional Scaling on X11 is a big deal for my main machine, which is HiDPI. Ubuntu 19.04 just got it, but they're using GNOME 3.32.1, and I think they have some extra fix besides to get it: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/04/how-to-enable-hidpi-fractional-scaling.html I imagine it would be doable with Zorin, but I don't imagine it'd be too easy.

KDE Plasma on Neon also seems to have this figured out, but that's of course an entirely different technology stack.

I've done a lot of reading on the difficulties with implementing it, but it'd be really nice if I could use Zorin with the right size pixels on my main machine. Otherwise, it's still Neon on my daily driver.

Still works great on my ThinkPad, though!

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:37:53 pm

abbreviatedman wrote:
AZorin wrote:Regarding the macOS layout, we will continue to include it in Zorin OS Ultimate just as before. The new Touch layout will only be replacing the Gnome 2 layout (with the 2 panels on the top and bottom) from previous versions of our Gnome-based editions.

I didn't know that. That's a crazy bs patent!

Not having that magnification ability, your Mac-like layout is as Mac-like as it gets. Thanks for all the good work on it!

And just to add, there is even a patent out on the xy cursor in a terminal! LOL!

alex93

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:34:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:5) Install 'Gnome Tweaks' and add Text Scaler - at least you don't have to logout and back in again to see the changes like that other OS!
fingerprint reader.jpg

Hi,
unfortunately, I still cannot find an option for fingerprint support. Where is it supposed to be? On User settings? Nothing there, even after installing the driver as you said...

zorinantwerp

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11:35 am

Hi

no fingerprint on my old laptop :(
you run Zorin 15 beta?
if you have a supported fingerprint reader can you tryout under terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t)
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fingerprint/fprint

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install libfprint0 fprint-demo libpam-fprintd gksu-polkit

launch the demo
if all goes well you should see under user account the magic words fingerprint log-in'

please give feedback.thanks
+++

alex93

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:51:50 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

no fingerprint on my old laptop :(
you run Zorin 15 beta?
if you have a supported fingerprint reader can you tryout under terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t)
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fingerprint/fprint

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install libfprint0 fprint-demo libpam-fprintd gksu-polkit

launch the demo
if all goes well you should see under user account the magic words fingerprint log-in'

please give feedback.thanks
+++

Thank you for your quick reply.
I'm on Zorin 15 beta with all updates installed.
I've installed the demo and it says "no devices found". Looks like the EgisTec Fingerprint Reader is not supported.
Acer provides a driver for Windows, but not for Linux. I've successfully installed the exe windows driver using Wine, but it doesn't work, as I expected (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/s ... t/7564?b=1).

Anything else I can try? :)

zorinantwerp

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:07:52 pm

@alex93

Hi bad news from github/dev - All work is stopped!

All general functions are ready, driver is succesfully integrated in libfprint, but there are some problems with matching algorythm.
Seems like matching algorythm used by libfprint can't work with data from this device. The scan area is too small to detect enough minutiae.
It is possible to try to work with it as a swipe-type sensor, but there is no guarantee and I currentry unable to do this work.

-end of the line
:(

alex93

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19:49 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:@alex93

Hi bad news from github/dev - All work is stopped!

All general functions are ready, driver is succesfully integrated in libfprint, but there are some problems with matching algorythm.
Seems like matching algorythm used by libfprint can't work with data from this device. The scan area is too small to detect enough minutiae.
It is possible to try to work with it as a swipe-type sensor, but there is no guarantee and I currentry unable to do this work.

-end of the line
:(

Bad news :( anyways, thank you for your efforts - I'll just keep my fingers crossed that someone with needed knowledge will add support someday.

Faced some other issues:
When I drag and drop a folder from a usb-stick to Desktop, there is no "copy"-window and the user doesn't know when the copy-process is finished.

Also, every 5-10 seconds, I'm getting display errors on top of the screen for milliseconds: it's a blackish bar or a multiple-color bar (looks like when something is broken). It's across the display from left to right top with a thickness of 0.5cm. Hope it's not my new notebook that is broken! :shock: Is it known?

tambler

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:45:58 am

This problem was first mentioned by crazyporscheman on p. 13 but it needs to be addressed. I had to reinstall Zorin 15 several times after running "autoremove" without paying full attention to just what was going to be removed:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
cryptsetup cryptsetup-bin dmeventd libdevmapper-event1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2
liblvm2cmd2.02 libreadline5 lvm2
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

After a restart there was no longer any means of booting up Zorin, although I did find a temporary workaround by reverting to kernel 4.18.0-16-generic via super_grub2_disk. Ultimately, though, a reinstall was the only solution followed by NEVER running "autoremove". Hopefully this will be fixed for the RTM version. Zorin 12.4 Ultimate is my main OS but I love the changes coming in to 15 and congratulate the team wholeheartedly!

Arcayer

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:44:58 pm

What I've encountered so far:
The OS doesn't load with automatic login turned on. The Zorin OS logo flashes a number of times, and then it hangs indefinitely. I can't get past the logo animation, it always hangs. If I press escape before the logo and login via the alternative maintenance paths, it can log in successfully. (After installing an update on April 24, the logo animation doesn't start even with automatic login. Instead, it just goes straight to the desktop, thus booting successfully.)

Under settings for software and updates, under the updates section, the check boxes for important security updates, recommended updates and unsupported updates appear to be blank regardless of how many times I click them. Similarly, the box under developer options, for Pre-released updates. Unless I've already obtained root privilege elsewhere, the boxes under other software causes the window to grey out without achieving anything.

Addendum: Sound (hdmi, connected to an LG television) is lost after waking from sleep.

System Note:
Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard
Intel 8th gen (Coffee Lake) Processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card

tambler

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:27:42 am

Another thing I noticed was that the "Power Off" button only suspends - there is no proper shut down overnight at least on this machine. The next day turning the PC on immediately brings up the encryption password prompt. The only way that I have found to shut down properly so far is to open the terminal and key in "sudo shutdown". OK as a temporary solution but not long term.

makss

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:06:24 am

Arcayer wrote:What I've encountered so far:
The OS doesn't load with automatic login turned on. The Zorin OS logo flashes a number of times, and then it hangs indefinitely. I can't get past the logo animation, it always hangs. If I press escape before the logo and login via the alternative maintenance paths, it can log in successfully.

Hello !

It seems that I have the same weird welcome Zorin Logo issue as per screen below :

However after that logo everything is working fine and looks stable for my basic needs.
My bluetooth speakers are disconnecting from time to time and I need to restart but it looks like more a Gnome issue as same issue happens on Ubuntu and other gnome based distros.

Thanks for hard work !

AndrewLoly

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:04:17 pm

Guys , who have a info about release date?

jwsp1

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:31:30 pm

tambler wrote:Another thing I noticed was that the "Power Off" button only suspends - there is no proper shut down overnight at least on this machine. The next day turning the PC on immediately brings up the encryption password prompt. The only way that I have found to shut down properly so far is to open the terminal and key in "sudo shutdown". OK as a temporary solution but not long term.

For me, it's the other way around. My notebook shuts down properly, but after pressing power button, it takes ~15 seconds to show the encryption field where I need to enter my password.
Additionally to that, after I hibernated the notebook and put it back on, the whole system freezes for ~5 seconds after I entered my password. Is it due to encryption?

AZorin

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:24:39 pm

makss wrote:
Arcayer wrote:What I've encountered so far:
The OS doesn't load with automatic login turned on. The Zorin OS logo flashes a number of times, and then it hangs indefinitely. I can't get past the logo animation, it always hangs. If I press escape before the logo and login via the alternative maintenance paths, it can log in successfully.

Hello !

It seems that I have the same weird welcome Zorin Logo issue as per screen below :

However after that logo everything is working fine and looks stable for my basic needs.
My bluetooth speakers are disconnecting from time to time and I need to restart but it looks like more a Gnome issue as same issue happens on Ubuntu and other gnome based distros.

Thanks for hard work !

Could you please let us know the make and model number of your laptop and, if possible, the processor/chipset model number? This would help us find the source of the boot up issue.

makss

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:09:11 pm

AZorin wrote:
Could you please let us know the make and model number of your laptop and, if possible, the processor/chipset model number? This would help us find the source of the boot up issue.

I m afraid it's just a basic chinese laptop :D I m not sure to give you the best information, but here is what I found about it :

XIDU 12.5 inch Laptop with Backlit Keyboard, 2K Display (2560 x 1440), Intel Celeron N3450 Quad-Core Processor (up to 2.4 GHz), 6GB RAM

----added----zorinantwerp
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/XIDU-Keyboard-Quad-Core-Processor-Lightweight/dp/B07H9VTR8F

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:59:15 am

Hi makss,

Could you please also open a terminal and enter:

Code:
lspci

and post back the results here - I'm sure it may help Artyom pin down the issue/hardware problem. ;) :D

postalbyke

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:56:18 pm

My biggest complaint was that wine wasn't installed (now I know it will be), and that I can't play the videos directly off of my GoPro. Video player says it's missing any codecs to play MP4s, something about high-definition H.264

So my question is, can you add the restricted-extras to the install process so that I don't have to chase this down?
Or is there another "out-of-the-box" solution you can use to fix my problem?

zorinantwerp

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:37:42 pm

postalbyke wrote:My biggest complaint was that wine wasn't installed (now I know it will be), and that I can't play the videos directly off of my GoPro. Video player says it's missing any codecs to play MP4s, something about high-definition H.264

So my question is, can you add the restricted-extras to the install process so that I don't have to chase this down?

goto menu/software and do search 'codecs' . install 'GStreamer Multimedia Codecs'

:)

makss

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:51:40 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi makss,

Could you please also open a terminal and enter:

Code:
lspci

and post back the results here - I'm sure it may help Artyom pin down the issue/hardware problem. ;) :D

Sure, no pb !

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Host Bridge (rev 0b)
00:00.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 5a8c (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5a85 (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Multimedia controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Imaging Unit (rev 0b)
00:0e.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster (rev 0b)
00:0f.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 0b)
00:12.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0b)
00:14.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series PCI Express Port B #2 (rev fb)
00:15.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series USB xHCI (rev 0b)
00:16.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #1 (rev 0b)
00:16.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #2 (rev 0b)
00:16.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #3 (rev 0b)
00:16.3 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #4 (rev 0b)
00:17.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #5 (rev 0b)
00:17.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #6 (rev 0b)
00:17.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #7 (rev 0b)
00:17.3 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #8 (rev 0b)
00:18.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series HSUART Controller #1 (rev 0b)
00:18.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series HSUART Controller #2 (rev 0b)
00:18.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series HSUART Controller #3 (rev 0b)
00:18.3 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series HSUART Controller #4 (rev 0b)
00:19.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SPI Controller #1 (rev 0b)
00:19.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SPI Controller #2 (rev 0b)
00:19.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SPI Controller #3 (rev 0b)
00:1b.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SDXC/MMC Host Controller (rev 0b)
00:1c.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series eMMC Controller (rev 0b)
00:1e.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SDIO Controller (rev 0b)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Low Pin Count Interface (rev 0b)
00:1f.1 SMBus: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SMBus Controller (rev 0b)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 81)

postalbyke

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:10:40 pm

postalbyke wrote:My biggest complaint was that wine wasn't installed (now I know it will be), and that I can't play the videos directly off of my GoPro. Video player says it's missing any codecs to play MP4s, something about high-definition H.264

Thank you! Will try this when I get home!

Oh, and a note:
I installed wine to run Diablo 2 and Sacred Gold, but the default Nvidia driver wouldn't accept them. The feedback from wine was that swrast wasn't found. Going into driver settings and setting the non-free Nvidia driver fixed it.

And another thing: Your unofficial manual is missing all of the pictures from about halfway down. :)

ryu_joko

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43:43 am

Can i ask for extra sound effect whenever a device is plug in or plug out?
And a corner for each screen (in multiple display mode), so my cursor is not straightly move to other display whenever i want to click the X (close) window.

Tq

AndrewLoly

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:42:24 am

Release date for Zorin 15 ? Please.

BeatlesFan#1

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55:49 pm

Videos app does not play any videos from the network, when connected to the drive via Files - Other Connections method, using smb: etc., giving me general gstreamer error, but if i mount that location, by adding a cifs entry to fstab, it works fine. Why?

Thank you for your work. Love Zorin OS!

shot428

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56:22 pm

Downloaded the ISO, burned to DVD using Imageburn, disc verify saw no errors.
Ran check disk from Zorin boot menu, found no errors
using menu option one, it switched to a resolution my TV did not support, TV is a 7 yr old Hisense 1080p
using menu option two (load Nvidia) it loaded at a low resolution (12 something) Zorin 12 works on my TV at 1920 res
choosing install, the installer crashed saying it was unable to locate WebKit file after
choosing try zorin it worked, was able to use firefox, get on the web and change a few settings
clicking the install icon from within the trial gave the same crash with same error
I am currently downloading again to try one more time

Dase

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:05:52 pm

Hi,

I like very much the touch layout! Built-in applications seem to work fine with touch.

I have two comments for improvement:

1.) The Zorin standard browser, Firefox does not support scrolling, window re-scaling or movement with the finger. In case of Linux Mint, the window borders can be adjusted to fix this. Maybe this could be adjusted automatically in Zorin, once the touch layout is chosen by the user?

2.) Entries via the onscreen keyboard are only recognized every second hit in Firefox.

3.) The onscreen keyboard does not feature direction keys. This is unfortunate, if you try to work within a terminal.

Best,
Daniel

knimer

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:10:44 pm

Heating when charging!!

This is a very major issue. For laptops using a heated laptop is very annoying and can drive users away from Zorin OS.

Using the Beta 15 as my only OS on my laptop.
Using the original manufacturer charger.
No changes on BIOS

Device is:
Lenovo ThinkPad T480s Model 20L7

Thought to report this loud and clear.

Well done on a great experience on Linux. You are the reason for me to switch to Linux from Windows. But Windows did not heat up the laptop when charging!! You are better and will take care of this.

Regards,
K

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:44:39 pm

shot428 wrote:Downloaded the ISO, burned to DVD using Imageburn, disc verify saw no errors.
Ran check disk from Zorin boot menu, found no errors
using menu option one, it switched to a resolution my TV did not support, TV is a 7 yr old Hisense 1080p
using menu option two (load Nvidia) it loaded at a low resolution (12 something) Zorin 12 works on my TV at 1920 res
choosing install, the installer crashed saying it was unable to locate WebKit file after
choosing try zorin it worked, was able to use firefox, get on the web and change a few settings
clicking the install icon from within the trial gave the same crash with same error
I am currently downloading again to try one more time

I was using a TV that wouldn't fit on eldest's desk and it would not show correct resolution - TVs are notorious for incorrect vertical and Horizontal sync issues. Just using a newly acquired Viewsonic 27" and all is well with VGA connection: 1920 x 1080 on a Zotac (nVidia chip graphics card) 1030. Zorin 15 requires a minimum graphic card of GT630 - that is the lowest spec nvidia card that will run with the latest drivers. ;)

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:45:42 pm

postalbyke wrote:And another thing: Your unofficial manual is missing all of the pictures from about halfway down. :)

I've already responded to this in the main thread you refer to! :P

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:48:17 pm

Largest mouse cursor now not tearing but I think users with older kit may experience issues. I installed on a works notebook that could not be upgraded to Windows 10 (Vista Business is what it came with) and the largest tearrs - I will check again next week to see if updates have resolved this (Dell Latitude E6500) :D

alex93

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:30:31 pm

When I put my notebook to power save mode and then start it up again, the audio output is suddenly labeled as headphones and the sound no longer plays through the speaker. After a restart everything runs normally again.

shot428

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:49:59 pm

Update: First let me say that I have been a Zorin user since ver 9, I purchased both 9 & 12 Ultimate. I used 9 with MythTV to cut the cable and it was awesome for several years. Both 9 & 12 run on my old computer which was the cool guy MB when I bought it 8+ years ago. Asus with Nvidia chipset (8300), Phenom cpu and 8gig ram, was one of the first to have on board HDMI out though I never used it.

It became obvious that it was a hardware issue after I tried puttin Ubuntu 18 on it and got the same errors. This after trying 2 downloads burned to DVD, then one put on a flash drive using Rufus on a windoze machine and another made with Etcher on Zorin 12 (yes, I wasted many hours LOL) I then tried the HDMI output and was able to see the background and have the mouse working but never got a menu on both Zorin 15 and Ubuntu 18. My guess would be the old Nvidia chip running the HDMI. I share this in case others run into similar problems.

Time to build a new puter Asus B350-plus with Ryzen 5 2400 cpu, 16 gig ram, Radeon video. Installed Zorin 15 with no issues, waited for updates and have had no problems thus far. Both HDMI and Line Out audio working and no problem setting up my preferences

Gotta say, I'm lovin it

AndrewLoly

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:32:18 pm

shot428 wrote:Update: First let me say that I have been a Zorin user since ver 9, I purchased both 9 & 12 Ultimate. I used 9 with MythTV to cut the cable and it was awesome for several years. Both 9 & 12 run on my old computer which was the cool guy MB when I bought it 8+ years ago. Asus with Nvidia chipset (8300), Phenom cpu and 8gig ram, was one of the first to have on board HDMI out though I never used it.

It became obvious that it was a hardware issue after I tried puttin Ubuntu 18 on it and got the same errors. This after trying 2 downloads burned to DVD, then one put on a flash drive using Rufus on a windoze machine and another made with Etcher on Zorin 12 (yes, I wasted many hours LOL) I then tried the HDMI output and was able to see the background and have the mouse working but never got a menu on both Zorin 15 and Ubuntu 18. My guess would be the old Nvidia chip running the HDMI. I share this in case others run into similar problems.

Time to build a new puter Asus B350-plus with Ryzen 5 2400 cpu, 16 gig ram, Radeon video. Installed Zorin 15 with no issues, waited for updates and have had no problems thus far. Both HDMI and Line Out audio working and no problem setting up my preferences

Gotta say, I'm lovin it

Wait a minute version official , you have installed? Is not released.
Or version 15 BETA

tambler

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:57:07 am

@shot428

I have the same Ryzen 5 but was unable to install ANY Linux distro on it so it is now running "another OS". I built the PC from scratch and tried everything possible but no Linux would function.

shot428

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:19:37 am

AndrewLoly wrote:
shot428 wrote:Update: First let me say that I have been a Zorin user since ver 9, I purchased both 9 & 12 Ultimate. I used 9 with MythTV to cut the cable and it was awesome for several years. Both 9 & 12 run on my old computer which was the cool guy MB when I bought it 8+ years ago. Asus with Nvidia chipset (8300), Phenom cpu and 8gig ram, was one of the first to have on board HDMI out though I never used it.

Gotta say, I'm lovin it

Wait a minute version official , you have installed? Is not released.
Or version 15 BETA

Just me bein lazy, didn't type beta or .04 figured every one would get it :)

shot428

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:23:16 am

tambler wrote:@shot428

I have the same Ryzen 5 but was unable to install ANY Linux distro on it so it is now running "another OS". I built the PC from scratch and tried everything possible but no Linux would function.

The cpu should not matter, but the mother board chipset might

The Ryzen5 2400 is the only one that does on board video, all others require a video card

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:13:46 pm

Finally managed to get Sound Blaster Audigy RX to work, but in Zorin 15 the 5.1 Speakers not working correctly but are in Makulu Lindoz 15! :o :shock:

That said, neither Makulu or Zorin when using the 5.1 surround sound 'test' mode give sounds from the correct speakers apart from front left and right.
Can't hear subwoofer sound from subwoofer on either - subwoofer test in Makulu goes to rear left! :lol:

Swarfendor437

Wed May 01, 2019 10:00:29 pm

SOUND UPDATE! Well I had been experiencing boot up issues thinking I had a power supply issue when after all the kefuffle it was Sound Card in wrong PCIe slot - put in correct slot - set PCIe to Auto and disabled HD Audio thinking that this in the BIOS referred to the onboard sound when it doesn't at all! So SoundBlaster Audigy working as it should and 5.1 Surround coming out of all the correct orifices! YAY!!!! :oops: :D :D :D :D :D

alex93

Thu May 02, 2019 8:24:18 am

Is there a possibility to log system crashes/freezes?
After starting my notebook, the whole system freezes after 2 minutes. Last thing I did was an update yesterday.

I've had issues with freezing on zorin 15 before, but just occasionally and not that regularly. Found out that the whole system freezes when I am connected to a Bluetooth device for more than 2 minutes, but also other freezes where I don't know what produces them.

I'm afraid to run updates now since the system freezes after 2 minutes after boot... Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Running an Acer SF114-32-P78E.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 02, 2019 11:55:59 am

As a starting point I would advise that you keep bluetooth disabled until you need to use it. See how things fare doing that - based on what I have read elsewhere on this forum - it will also preserve battery life. ;) :D

Useful thread on logs here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/186276/ ... es-located

alex93

Fri May 03, 2019 6:59:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:As a starting point I would advise that you keep bluetooth disabled until you need to use it. See how things fare doing that - based on what I have read elsewhere on this forum - it will also preserve battery life. ;) :D

thanks, system freezes occur less when I turn off bluetooth, but still present. Anyways, still loving Zorin! :)

postalbyke

Sat May 11, 2019 2:33:43 pm

I've been having a persistent problem with Zorin Connect with my android device:
Every few minutes, I get a notification on my desktop "SFTP No storage locations configured".

Does anyone know what it means or how to stop it?

Swarfendor437

Sat May 11, 2019 3:42:14 pm

I noticed that Zorin connect on my phone updated recently but not tried to connect with the update - have you updated your system and your android phone app? ;) :D

knimer

Sat May 11, 2019 7:43:37 pm

Hello,

In Zorin only, as I use other distros - when you toggle options in LibreOffice applications, the check-box is not changed. It is always empty and not sure if it got changed or not!!
Also, in Zorin, when I install LibreOffice from Snap Store, it is fine!

I like the visual changes introduced in Zorin version, but this is a killer as I cannot figure out what are my settings and preferences!!

The video on the link below will describe this bug very clearly.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12nf29 ... JZDH3qAJTx

Looking for an answer.

Regards,
K

postalbyke

Sun May 12, 2019 1:23:06 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I noticed that Zorin connect on my phone updated recently but not tried to connect with the update - have you updated your system and your android phone app? ;) :D

Both my phone and my desktop say they're up to date. I checked Zorin Connect specifically, as well.

ryu_joko

Sun May 12, 2019 5:26:05 am

And im persistently get disconnect from wifi, even from Zorin 12. Its always get question mark on the wifi atfer 2 days on. And it also get no internet connection easily, although cable work fine. Im hoping wifi, hopefully it can work as good as cable. Tq

Swarfendor437

Sun May 12, 2019 5:40:13 pm

knimer wrote:Hello,

In Zorin only, as I use other distros - when you toggle options in LibreOffice applications, the check-box is not changed. It is always empty and not sure if it got changed or not!!

I like the visual changes introduced in Zorin version, but this is a killer as I cannot figure out what are my settings and preferences!!

Looking for an answer.

Regards,
K

Just had to reinstall the system of 15 Beta and I have no issues in LibreOffice that comes with the Beta. I downloaded updates during install (not drivers as I don't want nvidia proprietary drivers - not needed and safer) and just done an update including update to kernel 4.18.0.18 - interestingly the extended tips was unchecked before updates after install, and after updates it is ticked! Can untick and tick at will.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 12, 2019 6:40:44 pm

alex93 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:As a starting point I would advise that you keep bluetooth disabled until you need to use it. See how things fare doing that - based on what I have read elsewhere on this forum - it will also preserve battery life. ;) :D

thanks, system freezes occur less when I turn off bluetooth, but still present. Anyways, still loving Zorin! :)

OK, I uninstalled both on phone and Firefox Extension. I also discovered this but not sure if needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwJyKHR1VLA

I also added GSConnect from gnome-shell-extensions:

ZorinConnect.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sun May 12, 2019 6:42:57 pm

postalbyke wrote:I've been having a persistent problem with Zorin Connect with my android device:
Every few minutes, I get a notification on my desktop "SFTP No storage locations configured".

See YouTube video here:

Also check Plugin settings and also your privacy settings on phone about allowing access to data.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 12, 2019 6:47:18 pm

ryu_joko wrote:And im persistently get disconnect from wifi, even from Zorin 12. Its always get question mark on the wifi atfer 2 days on. And it also get no internet connection easily, although cable work fine. Im hoping wifi, hopefully it can work as good as cable. Tq

Please post back in Help and Support detailing your hardware please by copy and pasting relevant network hardware information (no ip addresses please) by opening terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
lspci

knimer

Mon May 13, 2019 9:45:54 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:

Looking for an answer.

Regards,
K

Just had to reinstall the system of 15 Beta and I have no issues in LibreOffice that comes with the Beta. I downloaded updates during install (not drivers as I don't want nvidia proprietary drivers - not needed and safer) and just done an update including update to kernel 4.18.0.18 - interestingly the extended tips was unchecked before updates after install, and after updates it is ticked! Can untick and tick at will.

-----

I noticed that the issue happens when using the light appearance theme!! With the dark theme it does not happen.

Yet, it is working now. I got an update for many Zorin components and LibreOffice as well. Now it works fine. The "tick" mark was white... while it should be darker to appear. Now it is fine.

It looks someone is reading our posts and works on it.

Thanks a lot

legocommando

Wed May 15, 2019 8:53:48 am

I have installed Zorin using an lvm partition and all works well until a kernel rebuild is required (e.g. when installing Virtual Box Guest Additions or sometimes though a standard apt upgrade) and then the system will not recognise the lvm partition. If I revert back to the original initrd.img-4.18.0-18-generic file the it all works again. Has anyone else experianced this or can anyone help me resolve it (I guess its a build config issue?)

postalbyke

Sun May 19, 2019 3:35:25 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
postalbyke wrote:I've been having a persistent problem with Zorin Connect with my android device:

See YouTube video here:

Also check Plugin settings and also your privacy settings on phone about allowing access to data.

I checked, and Zorin Connect already had access to all permissions.
On a lark, I set up a data folder for Zorin Connect to use, and the SFTP notification turned into Zorin mounting and unmounting my phone as an external file system over and over again.

I haven't seen this in the last day (I was away on a business trip), but I'll keep my eyes open.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 19, 2019 5:40:53 pm

legocommando wrote:I have installed Zorin using an lvm partition and all works well until a kernel rebuild is required (e.g. when installing Virtual Box Guest Additions or sometimes though a standard apt upgrade) and then the system will not recognise the lvm partition. If I revert back to the original initrd.img-4.18.0-18-generic file the it all works again. Has anyone else experianced this or can anyone help me resolve it (I guess its a build config issue?)

Just so I'm clear, is this a Virtual Machine install of Zorin 15 Beta or issues facing you with Virtual Box because of LVM? (I will admit now that I don't use LVM as happy with how I setup and forget). ;) :D

legocommando

Tue May 21, 2019 8:40:07 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
legocommando wrote:I have installed Zorin using an lvm partition and all works well until a kernel rebuild is required (e.g. when installing Virtual Box Guest Additions or sometimes though a standard apt upgrade) and then the system will not recognise the lvm partition. If I revert back to the original initrd.img-4.18.0-18-generic file the it all works again. Has anyone else experianced this or can anyone help me resolve it (I guess its a build config issue?)

Just so I'm clear, is this a Virtual Machine install of Zorin 15 Beta or issues facing you with Virtual Box because of LVM? (I will admit now that I don't use LVM as happy with how I setup and forget). ;) :D

I have this problem on a laptop and on Virtual Box. It's as though LVM support is missing from the kernel after a rebuild :-(

Swarfendor437

Tue May 21, 2019 11:58:56 am

LVM is something you choose to have or not to have at point of install. Without LVM you can shrink partitions you can't enlarge. Like I've said before I don't require to use LVM or to use Wolfman's famous phrase:

"Preparation and planning prevent poor performance! :)"

No offence intended. We just need to think what we are aiming for and make our choices accordingly. ;) :D

legocommando

Tue May 21, 2019 1:18:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:LVM is something you choose to have or not to have at point of install. Without LVM you can shrink partitions you can't enlarge. Like I've said before I don't require to use LVM or to use Wolfman's famous phrase:

"Preparation and planning prevent poor performance! :)"

No offence intended. We just need to think what we are aiming for and make our choices accordingly. ;) :D

"If it doesn't work then don't use it" isn't really the answer I was looking for. As this is a beta release I thought it worth reporting to see if it could be fixed at source. I presume that you are not suggesting that the plan should just be to remove the LVM option from Zorin because it's broken? I'll keep looking and report back if I find an answer :)

Swarfendor437

Wed May 22, 2019 7:18:42 pm

No, people should have the choice - I just choose not to. ;) :D

Modest

Tue May 28, 2019 12:27:21 pm

Когда выйдет стабильный релиз? Сегодня поставлю на "железо" и протестирую. Судя по комментариям Beta имеет много ошибок. Но мы не ищем легких путей! Разработчикам огромное спасибо, я с Вами уже несколько лет и не жалею.

(добавлено после установки системы на стационарный компьютер)

Ну, что я могу сказать по первым впечатлениям? Я доволен. Мне нравится. Поставил Wine самостоятельно, установил свой старый пакет Office. Настроил сетевые принтеры. В сборке не хватает компонентов SAMBA (smbclient), не хватает компонентов python3 и так далее, это легко до установить, проблем не возникло. Выше описанные ошибки мной не обнаружены. Пока все работает.
Пишите какие у Вас возникли проблемы.

[Translation:

When will the stable release come out? Today I'll put on "Iron " and I'll test it. Judging by the comments Beta has a lot of errors. But we are not looking for easy ways! Thanks a lot to the developers, I have been with you for several years and do not regret.

(added after installing the system on a stationary computer)

Well, what can I say by First impressions? I'm happy. I like it. Put Wine on his own, installed his old Office package. Configured network printers. The Assembly lacks the components of SAMBA (smbclient), lacks the components of python3 and so on, it is easy to install, no problems arose. I have not found the above mentioned errors. So far, it's working.
Write what problems you have.]

tambler

Tue May 28, 2019 6:10:35 pm

@legocommando

I noticed the same problem with the original beta. Look at my post on Page 17 and you will see that the only workaround is never to run "sudo apt autoremove" otherwise the encryption gets borked. This is OK as a temporary solution but clearly needs to be addressed as many users prefer LVM for added security.

Modest

Tue May 28, 2019 7:10:53 pm

The screenshot has three windows open. Is it difficult to determine the boundaries? Me too. It's funny.

https://a.radikal.ru/a30/1905/51/97f6937e1797.png

Swarfendor437

Tue May 28, 2019 7:17:46 pm

Modest wrote:The screenshot has three windows open. Is it difficult to determine the boundaries? Me too. It's funny.

I think the way gnome shell works these days there is not much need for this as when you scroll your mouse in the window, the contents move accordingly - it makes for better space use I guess? ;) :D

Modest

Tue May 28, 2019 7:23:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Modest wrote:The screenshot has three windows open. Is it difficult to determine the boundaries? Me too. It's funny.
I think the way gnome shell works these days there is not much need for this as when you scroll your mouse in the window, the contents move accordingly - it makes for better space use I guess? ;) :D

I don't know .. just closed the wrong window a couple of times.
It seems to me that this does not mark the border clearly. Or am I wrong?

https://radikal.ru/video/w7Q6HRJj3l0

Modest

Tue May 28, 2019 7:47:47 pm

It should be like this.

Can I write in two languages? My friends from Russia are reading the forum.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 28, 2019 8:17:12 pm

Be my guest!

Пожалуйста, сделайте! и спасибо!

Swarfendor437

Tue May 28, 2019 8:30:06 pm

I've been searching on the borders issue - this is to do with Gnome Shell (beyond the Zorin Devs control). You could try and install Wayland but this created problems for me when it was present in the alpha:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/715160/ ... nome-15-10

Well noticed Zorin on Wayland is an option at login but no windows borders - I get freezes with Wayland - prefer the default desktop (top option when you click on the 'cog' at login)

Modest

Wed May 29, 2019 3:34:18 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I've been searching on the borders issue - this is to do with Gnome Shell (beyond the Zorin Devs control). You could try and install Wayland but this created problems for me when it was present in the alpha:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/715160/ ... nome-15-10

Well noticed Zorin on Wayland is an option at login but no windows borders - I get freezes with Wayland - prefer the default desktop (top option when you click on the 'cog' at login)

This is not a problem. It seemed to me that developers should see. The window has no contour.
I made a shadow appear on the edge of the window. I need to reduce the monitor brightness

rus
В целом я не вижу проблем в настройках границы окна для пользователя. Я просто хотел указать, что по умолчанию белый фон на белом фоне другого окна не имеет границы и визуально трудно определить, какое окно активно и какое нужно закрыть. И у меня засвечивает монитор немного.

seeiis

Thu May 30, 2019 11:56:24 pm

I cant install the beta on my NVME Drive in a laptop, next to windows, doesnt recognize the installer through uefi

Somebody can help?

Modest

Fri May 31, 2019 10:55:47 am

knimer wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

Looking for an answer.

Regards,
K

-----

I noticed that the issue happens when using the light appearance theme!! With the dark theme it does not happen.

Yet, it is working now. I got an update for many Zorin components and LibreOffice as well. Now it works fine. The "tick" mark was white... while it should be darker to appear. Now it is fine.

It looks someone is reading our posts and works on it.

Thanks a lot

Yes, someone reads our messages. A couple of days ago, I wrote that the assembly did not have enough packages python3. And yesterday they were added with the update. This is strange?

Да, кто-то читает наши сообщения. Пару дней назад я писал, что в сборке не хватает пакетов python3 . И вчера их добавили с обновлением. Это странно?

BeatlesFan#1

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:29:22 pm

Hello,

I added a line to fstab so my network drive is mounted at startup, however, Libre Office gives the error 'invalid parameter' when opening any document from there, but if i mounted using Files app, i do not have those problems. Code i use is below. What am i doing wrong? Would it help if i format my drive from ntfs to ext4?

Code:
//(Source) /(Mounting to) cifs credentials=/etc/.ndcredentials,rw,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlmssp,vers=1.0  0  0

Thank you for your help!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:29:14 pm

seeiis wrote:I cant install the beta on my NVME Drive in a laptop, next to windows, doesnt recognize the installer through uefi

Somebody can help?

Please read this thread from Ubuntu-Mate carefully:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/cant-se ... ll/18463/3

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:30:11 pm

I added a line to fstab so my network drive is mounted at startup, however, Libre Office gives the error 'invalid parameter' when opening any document from there, but if i mounted using Files app, i do not have those problems. Code i use is below. What am i doing wrong? Would it help if i format my drive from ntfs to ext4?

Code:
//(Source) /(Mounting to) cifs credentials=/etc/.ndcredentials,rw,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlmssp,vers=1.0  0  0

Thank you for your help!

Just make sure that your Zorin machine and the drive it is connecting to are in the same Windows group - assuming Windows machines are accessing the same files.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:26:37 pm

Just discovered that unfortunately, Zeitgeist is back in the OS - this is not a Zorin issue but a Gnome issue - in their infinitely poor wisdom they have embedded zeitgeist into the Desktop Explorer, Nautilus. Wolfman pointed out that this is a form of spyware so don't know why Gnome developers have done this unless they are all paid up members of the Zeitgeist Movement! If you don't mind not using Bookmarks in the Settings folder or even creating bookmarks you can uninstall Zeitgeist (it will remove Nautilus) but you can install a more friendlier Desktop Explorer, Thunar. Thunar was designed for Lubuntu (LXDE) but works quite happily in Zorin OS 15 Beta. ;) :D

svatas

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35:39 pm

Just found theat Opera is not able to use widevine DRM. Can you please install it via steps described in https://forums.opera.com/topic/28663/wi ... d-opera/29?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:16:55 pm

svatas wrote:Just found theat Opera is not able to use widevine DRM. Can you please install it via steps described in https://forums.opera.com/topic/28663/wi ... d-opera/29?

Advise you take a look here: https://gist.github.com/ruario/3c873d43 ... 4d29fe37f1

You would be far better using the default Firefox and add the extension 'Search Netflix with FindFlix' it works flawlessly. ;) :D

svatas

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20:31 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:You would be far better using the default Firefox and add the extension 'Search Netflix with FindFlix' it works flawlessly. ;) :D

Let me describe my situation :
1) I am not using Netflix but biggest IPTV provider here in Czech Republic - O2. Their product is O2TV (accessible via o2tv.cz, you can check there is a O2TV Info channel but not showing in Opera/Chrome)
2) Yes, in Firefox it is working as expected (after you confirm that FF can use DRM)
3) it is not working in Chrome and in Opera in Linux. In Windows 10 there is no problem. So this is a problem of some "missing" library in Linux for both browsers.
4) Another problem is video in Twitter, there is a possibility to open folder with Chrome installed and copy specific file to the folder of Opera and then it is working.

Is the only solution to that problem "Switch to FF?" Is that the way how ZorinOS will evolve?

My question is :
- is there any possibility to create some dependency package to "rewrite" bad library from Opera package with Chrome one? (It is ffmpeg.so, the solution is described here - https://forums.opera.com/topic/22685/twitter-videos/5). Every new update of Opera brake this and you must rewrite the library again.

- is there any possibility to create some dependency package to bring widevine library to Opera and Chrome to avoid usage of Firefox only?

You can also use https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm to check if your browser supports DRM.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:51:17 am

svatas wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:You would be far better using the default Firefox and add the extension 'Search Netflix with FindFlix' it works flawlessly. ;) :D

Let me describe my situation :
1) I am not using Netflix but biggest IPTV provider here in Czech Republic - O2. Their product is O2TV (accessible via o2tv.cz, you can check there is a O2TV Info channel but not showing in Opera/Chrome)
2) Yes, in Firefox it is working as expected (after you confirm that FF can use DRM)
3) it is not working in Chrome and in Opera in Linux. In Windows 10 there is no problem. So this is a problem of some "missing" library in Linux for both browsers.
4) Another problem is video in Twitter, there is a possibility to open folder with Chrome installed and copy specific file to the folder of Opera and then it is working.

Is the only solution to that problem "Switch to FF?" Is that the way how ZorinOS will evolve?

My question is :
- is there any possibility to create some dependency package to "rewrite" bad library from Opera package with Chrome one? (It is ffmpeg.so, the solution is described here - https://forums.opera.com/topic/22685/twitter-videos/5). Every new update of Opera brake this and you must rewrite the library again.

- is there any possibility to create some dependency package to bring widevine library to Opera and Chrome to avoid usage of Firefox only?

You can also use https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm to check if your browser supports DRM.

I'm no fan of Chrome as it is spyware per se - Opera also uses Google's engine - the problem with Chrome and Opera is that they are Proprietary Software - they make the rules, not Zorin. ;) :D

James tobin

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08:16 pm

Hey, I havent posted here in a long time. I have a 2-in-one convertible and i just wanted to give a little feeddback about zorin 15 beta for 2 in one convertible laptops

1. when in tablet mode, if you touch the search in the menu, it doesnt work very well, the menu is on top of the keyboard and when you type one letter the keyboard disappears

2. I believe that there should be an option to automatically enter tablet mode when you flip a 2 in one convertible screen around to tablet mode (or remove a keyboard on a detachable).

Modest

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:13:07 pm

good day!
I cannot manage files on a mounted drive. Copying to disk is not possible, I can not delete files.
How to fix? Not properly mounted NTFS disk?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:21:32 pm

Modest wrote:good day!
I cannot manage files on a mounted drive. Copying to disk is not possible, I can not delete files.

If your Windows or other NTFS is not properly mounted it suggests an unclean shutdown of Windows. Try booting into Windows and shutting down cleanly - any freeze forcing a shut down will prevent any GNU/Linux OS to access such drives. ;) :D

Modest

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:26:21 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Modest wrote:good day!

If your Windows or other NTFS is not properly mounted it suggests an unclean shutdown of Windows. Try booting into Windows and shutting down cleanly - any freeze forcing a shut down will prevent any GNU/Linux OS to access such drives. ;) :D

This disk was not under windows 3 years!
Today I installed Zorin 15 and can not get full access. The contents of the disk as a buddy for reading, but at the same time in the properties of full access and rights.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:38:18 pm

OK, so can you give me some details of your topography? Cheers! ;) :D

update - see if this thread helps:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/90339/h ... ard-drives

Modest

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:46:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, so can you give me some details of your topography? Cheers! ;) :D

update - see if this thread helps:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/90339/h ... ard-drives

viktor@CPI-1:~$ df -h
Файл.система Размер Использовано Дост Использовано% Cмонтировано в
udev 7,8G 0 7,8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1,6G 1,7M 1,6G 1% /run
/dev/sdb1 110G 18G 87G 17% /
tmpfs 7,9G 117M 7,7G 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5,0M 0 5,0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 7,9G 0 7,9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 1,6G 60K 1,6G 1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sda2 932G 768G 164G 83% /media/viktor/1TB
/dev/loop0 89M 89M 0 100% /snap/core/6964
/dev/loop1 51M 51M 0 100% /snap/p7zip-desktop/163

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:59:48 pm

Did you follow the advice of the thread I pointed to? By topography I meant:

HDD - external/on network/different bay on desktop. I suspect it is a permissions issue that would need reconnecting which is what the ubuntu thread referst to. ;) :D

Modest

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:13:46 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Did you follow the advice of the thread I pointed to? By topography I meant:

HDD - external/on network/different bay on desktop. I suspect it is a permissions issue that would need reconnecting which is what the ubuntu thread referst to. ;) :D

sudo chown -v viktor: viktor / media / dev / sda2
did not help
viktor@CPI-1:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 88,4M 1 loop /snap/core/6964
loop1 7:1 0 50,7M 1 loop /snap/p7zip-desktop/163
sda 8:0 0 931,5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 128M 0 part
└─sda2 8:2 0 931,4G 0 part /media/viktor/1TB
sdb 8:16 0 111,8G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 111,8G 0 part /

Modest

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19:01 pm

Do you want to learn Russian?
viktor@CPI-1:~$ sudo fdisk -l
Диск /dev/loop0: 88,4 MiB, 92733440 байт, 181120 секторов
Единицы: секторов по 1 * 512 = 512 байт
Размер сектора (логический/физический): 512 байт / 512 байт
Размер I/O (минимальный/оптимальный): 512 байт / 512 байт

Диск /dev/loop1: 50,7 MiB, 53182464 байт, 103872 секторов

Диск /dev/sda: 931,5 GiB, 1000204886016 байт, 1953525168 секторов
Размер сектора (логический/физический): 512 байт / 4096 байт
Размер I/O (минимальный/оптимальный): 4096 байт / 4096 байт
Тип метки диска: gpt
Идентификатор диска: 5004ABF3-0AD7-11E6-8A4F-00D9D19A0969

Устр-во начало Конец Секторы Размер Тип
/dev/sda1 34 262177 262144 128M Зарезервированный раздел Microsof
/dev/sda2 264192 1953523711 1953259520 931,4G Microsoft basic data

Раздел 1 начинается не на границе физического сектора.

Диск /dev/sdb: 111,8 GiB, 120040980480 байт, 234455040 секторов
Тип метки диска: dos
Идентификатор диска: 0x89957383

Устр-во Загрузочный начало Конец Секторы Размер Идентификатор Тип
/dev/sdb1 * 2048 234452991 234450944 111,8G 83 Linux

[viktor'CPI-1'$sudo fdisk -l
Disc /dev/loop0; 88.4 MiB, 92733440 bytes, 181120 sectors
Units.
Sector size (logical/physical) size; 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Size I/O (minimum/optimal) 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disc /dev/loop1, 50.7 MiB, 53182464 bytes, 103872 sectors
Units.

Disc /dev/sda- 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 byte, 1953525168 sectors
Units.
Sector size (logical/physical) size; 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
Size I/O (minimum/optimal) 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk label type, gpt
Drive ID at 5004ABF3-0AD7-11E6-8A4F-00D9D19A0969

Oyster-in-the-End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 34 262177 262144 128M Reserved Microsof
/dev/sda2 264192 1953523711 1953259520 931.4G Microsoft basic data

Section 1 does not begin on the boundary of the physical sector.

Disc /dev/sdbES1 111.8 GiB, 120040980480 byte, 234455040 sectors
Units.
Disk label type, dos
Drive ID at 0x89957383

Oyster-in-The-Boot Start End Sectors Size ID Type
/dev/sdb1 q 2048 234452991 234450944 111.8G 83 Linux]

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38:12 pm

Whilst you don't have Windows installed perhaps M$ is fighting against your install! :lol:

Пока вы не имеете Windows установлено возможно M$ воюет против вашей установки!

Modest

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:26:05 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Whilst you don't have Windows installed perhaps M$ is fighting against your install! :lol:

Пока вы не имеете Windows установлено возможно M$ воюет против вашей установки!

I tried 1001 ways, it does not help. In the end, the files were transferred to another hard disk, and the installed one was formatted. I returned the data to the HDD, now everything is in order. Thank you for participating.

m2ma

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18:21 pm

Hi everyone, is there any option for showing battery percentage on Zorin OS 15? (in the place I've pointed in below screenshot)

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22:41 pm

m2ma wrote:Hi everyone, is there any option for showing battery percentage on Zorin OS 15? (in the place I've pointed in below screenshot)

Yes:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... -and-time/

You will:

1. Need to install Gnome Tweaks first via Terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks

2. Go to the web page in Firefox above and install it - you will first need to add the browser add-on when you first visit the site - makes installing Gnome Shell extensions much easier. ;) :D

Battery.jpg
Battery.jpg (3.58 KiB)

Mine's not charging as it's a Desktop install! :D

Aravisian

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55:57 am

New To Zorin wrote:How can I see all the installed packages,is there any gui app for it?

Hope the stable version will be release soon. :D

The Software app has an installed tab and also, using Synaptic Package manager, you can find installed software on the left hand side using the horizontal tab marked "Status."
Hope this helps, your original question seemed to get lost in the shuffle.

m2ma

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:43:11 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Yes:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... -and-time/

You will:

1. Need to install Gnome Tweaks first via Terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks

2. Go to the web page in Firefox above and install it - you will first need to add the browser add-on when you first visit the site - makes installing Gnome Shell extensions much easier. ;) :D

Battery.jpg

Mine's not charging as it's a Desktop install! :D

actually, i found an options in Zorin Appearance >> Panel >> Battery Percentage, so no need get my hands dirty :D

thanks anyway, ZorinOS is the best <3

tambler

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:39:48 am

There seems to be a problem with cryptsetup which I noticed in the first beta of Zorin 15. It is still unresolved and every time I run sudo apt-get update I get the following notification:

cryptsetup cryptsetup-bin dmeventd libchromaprint-tools libcpuid14
libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 libjs-sphinxdoc
libjs-underscore libllvm7 libllvm7:i386 liblvm2app2.2 liblvm2cmd2.02
libmypaint libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-help
libqt4-network libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql
libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtassistantclient4
libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 libreadline5 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 lvm2
mypaint-brushes pastebinit python-acoustid python-audioread python-cairo
python-certifi python-chardet python-gobject-2 python-gst-1.0 python-gtk2
python-levenshtein python-mutagen python-mysqldb python-pkg-resources
python-pymad python-pyparsing python-qt4 python-requests python-sip qdbus
qt-at-spi qtchooser qtcore4-l10n

If I run autoremove it removes cryptsetup and I can then no longer boot into the latest kernel update. Has anyone else experienced this problem or indeed found a solution?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50:47 am

tambler wrote:There seems to be a problem with cryptsetup which I noticed in the first beta of Zorin 15. It is still unresolved and every time I run sudo apt-get update I get the following notification:

cryptsetup cryptsetup-bin dmeventd libchromaprint-tools libcpuid14
libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 libjs-sphinxdoc
libjs-underscore libllvm7 libllvm7:i386 liblvm2app2.2 liblvm2cmd2.02
libmypaint libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-help
libqt4-network libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql
libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtassistantclient4
libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 libreadline5 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 lvm2
mypaint-brushes pastebinit python-acoustid python-audioread python-cairo
python-certifi python-chardet python-gobject-2 python-gst-1.0 python-gtk2
python-levenshtein python-mutagen python-mysqldb python-pkg-resources
python-pymad python-pyparsing python-qt4 python-requests python-sip qdbus
qt-at-spi qtchooser qtcore4-l10n

If I run autoremove it removes cryptsetup and I can then no longer boot into the latest kernel update. Has anyone else experienced this problem or indeed found a solution?

I did a search for issues of cryptsetup and Ubuntu 18.04 - the only relevant article I could find has been removed but the description in my duckduckgo search found this below the deleted article link of Askubuntu:

"cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the 'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup initramfs integration and avoid this warning." Do so at YOUR OWN RISK as I never bother with data encryption. I store crucial bits on external devices and always do so whilst not online (internet).

If you use data encryption on your Operating System - whether it's Windows or GNU/Linux and you have serious system failure your data is gone forever. I've experienced this in Windows and seen the warnings when I installed Open SuSE 9.3 Professional (which cost me £70 about 10 years ago and people bemoaning €39 euros for Ultimate!)

tambler

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:22:23 pm

Well I'm comfortable with 15 Core now so I will upgrade to Ultimate soon and install it without encryption. That said, this is not a problem I've encountered anywhere else and I've got a different Linux distro for each day of the week! SuSE 10 was the first distro I used when I put one foot out of the Redmond universe in 2005. I don't use it these days though as there are many more interesting distros available - everything from Arch to Z.....

leolimajc

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:30:02 pm

My name is Leo and I'm Brazilian, so English is not my native language (sorry for the spelling mistakes that come up).
A very annoying bug that persists in Zorin 15 is linked to file management. When you save a .pdf file from the browser, a dialog opens where you will point to the directory where the file will be saved. But the dialog box does not support the 'space' command. By clicking on the 'space' the search box behaves by selecting and entering files that are in the current folder. It is a gross mistake that occurs in other distros with Gnome. Detail is that if you type the error slowly, the search box computes the command 'space'.