This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

About Wine on Zorin

FinixFighter

Thu May 30, 2019 8:57:42 am

Hi! I think that integrating Wine in Zorin is a great idea, and I appreciate it so much! But I also think that this can be improved. I mean, if you download Zorin now, you will have the 3.0 Wine version preinstalled, but right now the available Wine version is 4.9 (development) and 4.0.1 (stable). So the Wine version is very old. Zorin is used mostly by people who come from Windows, so I think that having a recent version of Wine is vital, because they'll manage to install Windows games (or programs they love) with most chance of success, and they will be more conviced of continuing to use Zorin.
I know that development versions of Wine are risky because they could introduce regressions (for example, it can happens that if a game works with 4.5 then it won't work with 4.6 if there's a regression in that version, and you have to wait the 4.7), but you could update Wine version to the new stable version at least.
And the process of updating Wine should be automatic, maybe the users could receive the update just like all the others apps. I think it would be very nice! :)
Let me know what you think! :D And thank you so much for your great job! :)

Swarfendor437

Fri May 31, 2019 6:27:56 am

Hi, clearly games can be a deal breaker for some users. Personally I prefer the PS4. I am still working on the unofficial manual for 15 and I will cover how to install WINE and how to install games successfully. Bear in mind that some applications just won't work due to the way it is constructed.