This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

I keep coming back to Zorin - Love it

KewlToyZ

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:24:13 am

I've been installing and using 8 different Distros the past 2 months during my layoff from Truck Driving.
I've been using and building systems since 1994 as a primary source of employment tools. I left IT and became a truck driver this past summer.
I keep coming back to Zorin because it is easier to work with for someone that tweaks and fiddles around as much as I like to do.
Plus on 4 different types of machines it installed as a dual boot with Windows easily without failure.
Just starting to utilize Linux as a main OS after all these years seemed like a good idea to me.
MS just keeps making stable update messes and phones home way too much.

So far after using all of these other Distros, I liked the DE in Zorin the best.
Once I got used to Gnome and Extensions it did pretty much everything I wanted to do.
I even grabbed and installed Conky for some more desktop features I liked in Linux MX.
But, again, out of all the packages Zorin gave me a DE I could work with easier after messing with all the other distros.
Only problem I've had recently is a few Security Patches not installing with the Updater.
They just keep looping to install. So I attached a screenshot of what I got going wrong.
Thanks again for developing this Nice OS Branch!

A bit about me:
I got out of the IT field because I just lost interest after 30 years.
I didn't want to go get certifications on the latest platforms. I wanted to get away from a desk.
So I got my Class A CDL and all the endorsements last summer.
Microsoft is just dismal since they killed off the Mobile. Let's face it, they mismanaged it downhill after they bought the Nokia division.
Nokia made the better device and packaging until MS took over. Which with recent developments in the cellular market they could have done pretty well with just a bit of common sense in the US. Not to mention would have been a great business device for Administrative employees. OneDrive seamlessly towards the business users accounts and data control was a nice feature when you have the Tablet, Laptop, or Workstations already sync'd up to the phone as a field device. But they killed it :P
I thought Mobile coud have been a forked OS walking away from the legacy code overhead of the main Windows Platform.
Linux has been doing a better job with Open Source distro's lol

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20:10 pm

Hi, (cool desktop by the way - almost reminds me of mine! download/file.php?id=6586&mode=view with Candy Icons theme not showing similar to yours).
Have you got your updates set to 'Main Server'? ;) :D

KewlToyZ

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:21:43 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, (cool desktop by the way - almost reminds me of mine! download/file.php?id=6586&mode=view with Candy Icons theme not showing similar to yours).
Have you got your updates set to 'Main Server'? ;) :D

Nice background man!
No still haven't gotten the updates on that machine. No problem with laptop though.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56:33 pm

Have you tried running in Advanced Recovery Mode and running DPKG? Best to have cable connection to router while doing this. To check for any missing dependencies. Using Synaptic Package Manager you could check to see if there are any broken packages? ;) :D