This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

NextCloud client, not server packages, in Software manager

VincentF

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08:26 am

Hi,

I recently migrated from Linux Mint to Zorin and I noticed something "strange" in how the Zorin Software manager handle NextCloud offering. The software manager lists several package related to the NextCloud server, which is definitely not what someone would want to install on a desktop distro like Zorin, but the NextCloud client, obviously the package a Zorin user look for when searching for NextCloud is not listed in the software manager.

Now, I understand that the "official" NextCloud client is offered as an AppImage, a type of package that is apparently not supported natively by Zorin OS. But NextCloud also provides a PPA for a DEB package that integrates beautifully with the customized GNOME desktop of Zorin.

Since Zorin already has a lot of PPA and adding another one would make PPA management even more complex, I would suggest to monitor the NextCloud PPA (ppa:nextcloud-devs/client ) and add the DEV package to the existing PPA of Zorin.

At the same time, packages for NextCloud servers should be removed from the software manager. Zorin is a desktop distribution so including server packages in the software manager only add confusion for a "lambda user" who doesn't necessarily know about the difference between the server and client packages.

Finally, I know NextCloud is just one of the many use case of Zorin, but a lot of people are migrating from Microsoft/Apple/Google to Linux for privacy reasons recently, and NextCloud/OwnCloud seem to be the most popular candidate to replace the server side of Microsoft/Apple/Google/DropBox/Etc. So I believe a user-friendly support of NextCloud/OwnCloud on the client side is an important part of the success of a user-friendly alternative to Microsoft/Apple OSes and, most importantly, the ability of "power users" and developpers to convince "lambda-users" to migrate to Zorin.

Thanks for the most user-friendly distro despite a few remaining hiccups.

Vincent.

Aravisian

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:32:12 pm

VincentF wrote:Hi,

I recently migrated from Linux Mint to Zorin and I noticed something "strange" in how the Zorin Software manager handle NextCloud offering. The software manager lists several package related to the NextCloud server, which is definitely not what someone would want to install on a desktop distro like Zorin, but the NextCloud client, obviously the package a Zorin user look for when searching for NextCloud is not listed in the software manager.

Now, I understand that the "official" NextCloud client is offered as an AppImage, a type of package that is apparently not supported natively by Zorin OS. But NextCloud also provides a PPA for a DEB package that integrates beautifully with the customized GNOME desktop of Zorin.

Since Zorin already has a lot of PPA and adding another one would make PPA management even more complex, I would suggest to monitor the NextCloud PPA (ppa:nextcloud-devs/client ) and add the DEV package to the existing PPA of Zorin.

At the same time, packages for NextCloud servers should be removed from the software manager. Zorin is a desktop distribution so including server packages in the software manager only add confusion for a "lambda user" who doesn't necessarily know about the difference between the server and client packages.

Finally, I know NextCloud is just one of the many use case of Zorin, but a lot of people are migrating from Microsoft/Apple/Google to Linux for privacy reasons recently, and NextCloud/OwnCloud seem to be the most popular candidate to replace the server side of Microsoft/Apple/Google/DropBox/Etc. So I believe a user-friendly support of NextCloud/OwnCloud on the client side is an important part of the success of a user-friendly alternative to Microsoft/Apple OSes and, most importantly, the ability of "power users" and developpers to convince "lambda-users" to migrate to Zorin.

Thanks for the most user-friendly distro despite a few remaining hiccups.

Vincent.

Vincent, thanks for the feedback.
I must point out that the Software Manager is made by Canonical for Ubuntu and it includes the same information as Ubuntu.

While Zorin can be a first step from M$ to Linux, it can only ever be a Step and never be a Direct Replacement.
The onus is on anyone migrating to Linux to be Willing To Learn.
The more any distro may try to focus on Ease of Use and Lack of Confusion- then the more like M$ it must become.
Linux is very easy to use. However, to someone unfamiliar with how it works, it will be confusing, at first. So was Long Division in Elementary school. So was riding a bike for the first time. A distro like Zorin may help provide some balance for getting you started, but it cannot maintain that balance for the user. You are right to suggest that confusion can be reduced with good feedback. Just keep in mind it can never be eliminated.
If a person is serious about migrating from M$ to Linux, then they must take learning a new system seriously, as well. Migrants cannot come over and demand that Linux be Just like M$, except be Free, too.

I like your suggestions about NextCloud. That seems very strange, indeed. App Images do work fine on Zorin, though. many users of NextCloud are, in fact, operating their own server.
You can read more on it, here:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-18-04

*I do not work for Zorin development team nor am I a member of the Zorin development team.