This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 Install not detecting Windows

MBMz10

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:47:26 am

It would appear to me that some systems / configurations / hardware are not showing 'install alongside Windows 10' option during installation of Zorin OS 15.x

Having posted a video on YT about installing Zorin OS 15 alongside Windows 10, I have had about 4 or 5 people saying 'it isn't detecting my Windows.' The video has had 8k views so a very low percentage and was posted July 2019.

Most of the comments regarding issues seem to be from the last 2 months, today being Feb 24 2020, 2 months goes back to mid-late Dec 2019, about when Core went from (Zorin-OS-15.1-Core-64-bit-r1.iso) r1 to r2 in the version for download on sourceforge as my date reference.

I know, trolls and time wasters, wrong settings and configurations, but earlier today someone for whom (15 didn't work for) told me they used Zorin 12.4 to partition and install Zorin and, as best as I can tell, upgrade, to 15.1 (15.2??)

I've seen a few posts here on the forum about similar issues, not checked dates etc, so I hope you can see where I'm going with this. Did something change pertaining to this sort of issue during install happen from version r1 to r2?

Anyone else seeing a similar pattern or should I dial back the settings on my crystal ball and take my meds.

The link to the video is below if you want to read the comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_v_-eihu2E

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52:11 am

MBMz10 wrote:It would appear to me that some systems / configurations / hardware are not showing 'install alongside Windows 10' option during installation of Zorin OS 15.x

Having posted a video on YT about installing Zorin OS 15 alongside Windows 10, I have had about 4 or 5 people saying 'it isn't detecting my Windows.' The video has had 8k views so a very low percentage and was posted July 2019.

Most of the comments regarding issues seem to be from the last 2 months, today being Feb 24 2020, 2 months goes back to mid-late Dec 2019, about when Core went from (Zorin-OS-15.1-Core-64-bit-r1.iso) r1 to r2 in the version for download on sourceforge as my date reference.

I know, trolls and time wasters, wrong settings and configurations, but earlier today someone for whom (15 didn't work for) told me they used Zorin 12.4 to partition and install Zorin and, as best as I can tell, upgrade, to 15.1 (15.2??)

I've seen a few posts here on the forum about similar issues, not checked dates etc, so I hope you can see where I'm going with this. Did something change pertaining to this sort of issue during install happen from version r1 to r2?

Anyone else seeing a similar pattern or should I dial back the settings on my crystal ball and take my meds.

The link to the video is below if you want to read the comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_v_-eihu2E

There have been a couple comments on the forum, lately.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15:00 pm

My only comment is that back in the days of Wolfman, who also advised this that any 'alongside' windows should be avoided at all costs. For any and every install, whether dual-booting or if to be installed on it's own if you want to avoid grief further down the line, ALWAYS use the something else method. I would highly recommend the Matthew Moore method of the non-traditional installation method to dual-boot. He did his video from scratch. My video based on his being different is that I had a machine that already had Windows on it - OK so it's Windows 7 and Zorin 9 but the concept has not changed.

https://vimeo.com/110085401

MBMz10

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:55:04 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:My only comment is that back in the days of Wolfman, who also advised this that any 'alongside' windows should be avoided at all costs. For any and every install, whether dual-booting or if to be installed on it's own if you want to avoid grief further down the line, ALWAYS use the something else method. I would highly recommend the Matthew Moore method of the non-traditional installation method to dual-boot. He did his video from scratch. My video based on his being different is that I had a machine that already had Windows on it - OK so it's Windows 7 and Zorin 9 but the concept has not changed.

https://vimeo.com/110085401

I sort of got the impression that they couldn't see the drive from the installer, maybe even Gparted but I'm only speculating from info provided.

Something else install method is fine for many of us that have installed Linux before, remember that some people may have never installed Windows previously so it is likely a big deal to them, especially considering the perceived risk of destroying their PC.
I have some machines that I still take the defaults on and can't say I'm having any issues with them, including my Zorin OS 9 that ran and ran and ran out of support.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:33:18 pm

Hi MBMz10, Today the issue relates to EFI and more importantly, BIOS EFI. Last night I flashed the BIOS over the internet and could not get back into Windows so it's not just dual-booting that can cause issues today. The other crazy thing is that the Asus Prime X-470 (or is it Windows 7 that's the issue, I suspect it is as I kept getting messages from M$ that my hardware was not built for 7 and to upgrade, but I got round that issue a while back somehow by turning it off. I am not 'au fait' with all the different types of EFI keys (7 uses PK but there is also KEK plus two more - it's all very bewildering in any BIOS these days! I have to use a PS2 keyboard and navigate round that. Ended booting up into Safe Mode (eventually), rebooted, added usb mouse and keyboard and eventually Windows 7 backup and running. My intention is to backup my final iteration of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, then de-activate then reinstall as a VM so I can keep using my Serif Web designer software and Affinity Software (Designer, Photo, Publisher). By far the best method is Matthew Moore's. And in ALL cases, users should save for affordable external hard drives to both backup their entire systems using Rescuezilla or Easeus Backup (free ones) or Acronis but the latter is not as user friendly as it used to be, and also more importantly, data. For small amounts of data (up to 6 Gb) then go for a pCloud account - don't go for Box as they are clearly M$ centric as they claimed that their software was a) not compatible with Linux, b) not compatible with Firefox - all lies - they blocked my Firefox in Linux when I try to sign in saying it is a security risk - and after eighteen months of submitting stuff from my Zorin install - what a joke - avoid Box.com at ALL COSTS! :twisted: