This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 Impressions

Aravisian

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:46:09 am

When Zorin 15 was first released, I was not impressed.

But now that some time has passed, I have had a great deal more time to examine it. Many of the improvements are subtle.
But after use- they become more apparent.
Zorin 15 doesn't just unlock some new features; it does so without going Over the Top. It's configurable, manageable and solid. I don't feel overwhelmed by multitudes of pre-installed apps declaring, "look at me!"
While I prefer Lite - and am now using Lite loaded with Cinnamon, even, I find the Core of Zorin is as steady as I was used to with 12.4. But the features advertised, like ZorinConnect- are still possible to install and use, with a bit of configuring.
It is not perfect- It does not come with WIne and people have stated that they were led to believe that it would. I, for one, do not miss Wine, any. Wine is a great program, but I just personally do not need it most of the time like others do.
While it does not bother me that it is not pre-installed- It does bother me if the Zorin download page implies that it is.
Direct Upgrade is not available and that was promised a while back. I wonder if Zorin Team struggles with making announcements when things go wrong or are delayed- I believe people are more forgiving when kept informed.
But, over-all, the Zorin Team had promised that Zorin 15 would "knock our socks off." I was dubious- but I think, now, as I examine my toes- that they have succeeded.

star treker

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10:59 am

Aravisian wrote:I believe people are more forgiving when kept informed.

And that there lies the problem that I've had in lots of different situations, including, but not limited to, Linux distro developers.

I am glad to hear that Zorin OS 15 is now working out for you. The best part about Zorin in my humble opinion, is that it was designed to look very similar to Windows. The reason this is a good thing, as it allows a more comfortable switch for Windows users to be able to get comfortable and learn Linux with Zorin.

I've read many comments from veteran Linux users who always say they prefer the look of straight Gnome out of the box. But the problem with straight Gnome, is that it looks nothing like Windows. And I hate to break it to you but, most Windows users, have only used Windows, and are used to everything where it is on Windows. Which means its a huge shock asking them to try out Linux with the usual default position of tools and tool bars and panels.

If your goal is to get Windows users to switch to Linux, the smart play, is a distro that looks like Windows, so that the learning curve isn't so high that people just say, screw it, I'm giving up, I will never figure this stupid c*** out. For some, just the installation process of Linux is hard! Just look at the installation category on here, oodles of threads asking for help in how to install.

Now one thing the Windows installers always had going for them, is that they were always automated. You never had to worry about partitioning a new drive manually, Windows always did everything for you. And once Windows XP came around, nobody had to worry about downloading and installing drivers just to use their input devices and disk drives anymore either.

So another improvement would be an auto installer that is as good as the Windows installer, that would also take the headake out. Speaking of which, I have a headake now, I know, sucks, it is what it is lol. Alright great short review Aravisian. Can't wait for your LTS review on Zorin 15 after a year has gone by. ;)

Aravisian

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:18:36 pm

I agree wholeheartedly that Gnome is not the best choice for a transitional O.S.
Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE would provide a much better platform. Gnome has consistently become more obscure and un-user-friendly over time.
Gnome does have better options for Assisted Input, which may suit it better for the older crowd. But I think that can be resolved without using Gnome, as well.

I disagree with autoinstallers, though. Helping a person make a transition cannot be confused with Doing it For them. A big part of what people dislike about Windows cannot be carried over just because they are used to it. Those that truly want to get away from Windows will be willing to put in SOME effort- do SOME learning. Those that don't, won't and they'll never be happy on Linux, no matter what.
The more automated it is, the more confused they will get and the more they will complain and demand help for something simple that they could have solved themselves if they weren't conditioned to expect someone else to do it. Open the door to that and you may as well hand Gnome the Windows key they are drooling over.

I believe that the idea is to make it more appealing, a Smoother Transition, not an emulation or replacement of Windows.
You can smooth out a bumpy road, but the driving is up to the driver.

The reality is- humans like to take the easiest and laziest approach. They will not walk ten feet to a trash can when it is less effort to drop it on the ground.
The reality also is- we need and can even appreciate pressure to improve ourselves.
Consider many societal problems- the vast majority of them could be resolved by governments, celebrities, companies and the like NOT pandering to the Lazy Factor.