This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Python 3.8.2

JayGiganti

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:49:30 pm

I installed Python 3.8.2 and made it my default python3. Shortly after that strange things started happening and when I rebooted the update to 15.2 was shown at a prompt with missing packages etc.

At that time I assumed to update had failed, and I had to re-install a clean 15.2, I then tested the theory and bad things started happening again with a fresh install. Fortunately it booted and I made 3.6.9 of Python the default python3 and things started working again.

It may be listed somewhere but that was very disruptive and it would be nice to be able to have my default python3 be the latest build or at least see if there is a way to test the compatibility before doing it.

-Jay

Aravisian

Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:23:43 am

Thanks for the heads up. That is odd that you would see such incompatibility.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:05:02 pm

Just bear in mind that Team Zorin take great lengths to ensure that when an update gets released they don't want any part of the system to break - it would look bad on them. I always warn people not to put the latest package of any application no already in the Zorin repos to safeguard breaking it. The only exception to this being Oracle's Virtual Box. It is the only application that I install from Oracle as opposed to the Software Channel. I only recently installed VB 6.1 and advised others of Zorin to do the same - and after only a couple of weeks of it's release, VB has been updated again! ;) :D

m28

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:38:56 am

I want to do some python programming using a limited no of packages.

I dont want to break Zorin Os by installing python packages.

Is it possible to install python into the user directory and then install pip3 and pipenv and pycharm there?

Then I will use pipenv to create and run my projects in virtual environments and Zorin os will not have been altered?

Is the above possible and a smart way?

Aravisian

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:50:30 am

m28 wrote:I want to do some python programming using a limited no of packages.

I dont want to break Zorin Os by installing python packages.

Is it possible to install python into the user directory and then install pip3 and pipenv and pycharm there?

Then I will use pipenv to create and run my projects in virtual environments and Zorin os will not have been altered?

Is the above possible and a smart way?

Yes, you can install Python as a local user. I tried a search and I think this guide is a good one that follows each step- all the commands work on Ubuntu derived distros:
http://thelazylog.com/install-python-as ... -on-linux/
It continues to pip - I suspect that pipenv, pycharm should follow the same way.

m28

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18:41 pm

Thank you i will take a look