This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install from DVD should update/merge existing install

jcinpv

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:17:19 am

I noticed that when installing Zorin on a laptop that had Ubuntu 11.10 I was given the choice to essentially update to Zorin while preserving documents and settings.

Then when I wanted to install Zorin Ultimate over Zorin Free, my only choices were to create a dual boot or to replace the existing OS.

Please provide the means to preserve an existing Zorin install when choosing to go from the free version to one of the paid versions.

madvinegar

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:17:35 am

I think that it cannot be done. Zorin editions do not upgrade. You will have to save your documents and perform a clean install.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28:39 am

I strongly advise you to do as MV has suggested and do a clean install, there are different components in the Zorin versions and it could lead to problems afterwards!!.

Back up your data and copy them to your new home afterwards!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

DanYHKim

Tue May 08, 2012 3:21:34 pm

Similar thread: "Upgrade from Zorin 5.2 Lite to Zorin 6 Lite"
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1736

The ability to easily upgrade to a new version release while retaining personal data, if not also installed programs and some settings, is very important for an OS distribution that is meant for long-term consumer use. Structuring the installation across multiple partitions to isolate user files from the core OS should be the default behavior of the installer, not an 'advanced option'.

While ZorinOS probably should not adopt a 'frugal install' model such as is used by Puppy Linux, some provision should be made to accommodate future upgrades for the end user. otherwise, the OS and its distributor reflects a belief that its users are in a one-shot relationship.

The Zorin Group should tailor the behavior of its OS to reflect a belief that their users will be in a loyal and long-term relationship. These users will want to upgrade to new releases of the OS, and will be regularly watching the ZorinOS website for announcements of new developments. They will want such upgrades to be easy to apply, with a minimum of disruption of their work habits and data.

DanYHKim

Tue May 08, 2012 3:31:06 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:To avoid hassles in future, best to do a manual install. - 'Other' option. 512 Mb Swap file, '/home' partition to keep your data safe - size will be what you would expect to maintain in Windows in Gb (Gigabytes), and '/' Root partition to keep the system on - that way your data remains intact.

Is there a recommended size for the Root partition? For instance, if I install new programs, will they be written to Root or to Home? I would like to have a comfortable margin that is not unrealistically excessive.

Also, I assume this multi-partition structure will still not preserve user-installed applications and their settings after an upgrade installation, just personal data and some of those settings. Is that correct?

Wolfman

Sun May 13, 2012 5:48:52 am

DanYHKim wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:To avoid hassles in future, best to do a manual install. - 'Other' option. 512 Mb Swap file, '/home' partition to keep your data safe - size will be what you would expect to maintain in Windows in Gb (Gigabytes), and '/' Root partition to keep the system on - that way your data remains intact.

Is there a recommended size for the Root partition? For instance, if I install new programs, will they be written to Root or to Home? I would like to have a comfortable margin that is not unrealistically excessive.

Also, I assume this multi-partition structure will still not preserve user-installed applications and their settings after an upgrade installation, just personal data and some of those settings. Is that correct?

Hi Dan,

I would say about 20GB for root, swap on new computers can be the same as the available RAM, but not less than 1GB. (I have 4 GB RAM and have 2GB swap). Your home partition should be no less than 30GB but this depends on the size of the storage you require, I have for example; 36GB of music alone!!.

Swarf has already said about updating and the need for a clean install, it will save you a lot of headaches if you do a clean install on both partitions!!. (swap doesn't need to be formatted!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun May 13, 2012 8:50:09 am

Wolfman wrote:swap on new computers can be the same as the available RAM, but not less than 1GB. (I have 4 GB RAM and have 2GB swap).

The unwritten "rule" about swap is that it should be your ram's double size.

i.e. if you have 1gb Ram, the swap must be 2GB.

BUT, everything beyond 3,5gb of swap is considered just loss of hard drive space.

So, even if you have 2GB of ram, or 4GB of ram, or 8GB of ram, if the swap size is 3,5gb it is just fine.