This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Request: Panel position on left/right

diedrichg

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:51:56 am

Hello. I've really wanted to make Zorin OS my main operating system but there is one single feature missing that is keeping me from using Zorin at all; setting the panel position on either the left or right of the screen.

Desktop and laptop screens haven't been square since the turn of the century. Restricting panel placement to just the top or bottom of a rectangular screen takes away valuable vertical real estate when there is ample room to place the panel on either side of the screen.

I'd like to request the ability to set the panel on all four sides of the screen for both Windows layouts as well as the macOS layout, please. This would be a great incentive for someone to pay for Ultimate and I would gladly do so! As it is now, I don't even use Core due to this single missing feature.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Aravisian

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16:55 pm

I believe you can do this in core from the Appearance tab of Settings. Choose "Panel Layout." That would be for Core or Ultimate which uses Gnome Desktop Environment. Fortunately, Zorin does have that feature, which is similar to Unity and is easier in Zorin to layout than in standard Gnome.
But you do need to know where to look and know that it is there in order to use it (Which is true of any Operating System).
Swarfendors guide may help as well: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361

But please keep in mind that there are other Desktop Environments. Zorin Lite uses XFCE, which would enable you to pretty much do anything you want with the panel.
You also are not necessarily limited to the desktop environment that comes with Zorin.

I am running Zorin Lite using Cinnamon desktop Environment instead of XFCE, for example.
Hope this helps,