This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin in schools

edsinc

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:47:14 pm

I've just installed Zorin educational on my schools computers and the kids are raving about it. It is the first flavour of linux that I've heard words like "cool", "amazing" used and quite a few of them have borrowed discs to install it on their home (sometimes older) computers mostly alongside Windows. Any other schools out there using this?

Wolfman

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38:06 am

edsinc wrote:I've just installed Zorin educational on my schools computers and the kids are raving about it. It is the first flavour of linux that I've heard words like "cool", "amazing" used and quite a few of them have borrowed discs to install it on their home (sometimes older) computers mostly alongside Windows. Any other schools out there using this?

Good for you, spread the word among the schools in your area, maybe word of mouth travels faster than sound :D :D :D :D :D (There is a joke hidden in my comments! :D )

Regards Wolfman :D

turb0

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:18:40 pm

To be honest the kids are blown away by the Windows like interface and of course the effects and speed.

Since there is the Educational Desktop version, is it possible that there could be an LTSP version similar to the Edubuntu version?

I am currently testing Zorin Os with LTSP installed but am finding quite a few glitches along the way such fat clients not having any menu or dock on bottom and left.

Thin client setup seems to work but without any of the Compiz eye-candy effects though.

Going to be implementing the Edubuntu LTSP but would really love to have the Zorin OS environment.

Any pointers to a Howto to get Zorin OS closer to where Edubuntu is at the moment?

Currently have Zorin OS installed on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro Notebook and it is awesome, way faster than even XP was :)

Hoping the developers will consider pushing an LTSP integrated Zorin OS in the near future as it has evoked quite a stirring in the School.

turb0

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:44:34 pm

Testing is going along nicely :)

I am actually posting this via an LTSP Thin client running Zorin OS 5.2 Core.

With careful editing of the lts.conf file I now have a full desktop of Zorin OS complete with Menu and Dock.

Have Firefox 11 running as a Localapp on the the Thin Client with full Adobe Flash support so Youtube Videos are awesome, no longer hogging the Server CPU :)

Only issues are not having the Firefox 11 start from the Inernet Menu item, workaround was to right click the Pinned Dock Firefox and edited the launcher to ltsp-localapps firefox %u

Would be nice if this were to be possible from the Internet > Firefox menu item too.

Of course, there are no fancy compiz effects but this is for a School so not essential, but showing the kids the effects possible via my Notebook on the Big Screen you can just hear the ooos and aaaahs :)

Maybe I should document the steps to get this going in the Howto section.

This will really provide the bridge from Windows to Linux.

So now we are going to have 780 Learners and Teachers too exposed to Zorin OS via the LTSP Server very soon :)

Wolfman

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:48:25 pm

Hi,

try and stick with HP printer/scanners, HP are pretty good under Linux!!.

You shouldn't just simply upgrade Zorin 5 to Zorin 6 because 6 is based on Gnome 3 (ish) and there may well be a problem with the config files if you don't also format your /home !!!!. So in this case, you will have to format both root and home!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

kumarullal

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:35:43 pm

Hi Mio1971
Can you please let us know the steps involved in installing ltsp server on zorin. I am using zorin 7.
apt-get install ltsp-standalone ?
THen what lts.conf canges you made to create fat client and assign applications?
A step by step will be very helpful.