This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hello and thank you

kenharkey7

Tue May 08, 2012 5:08:16 am

Hello, just want to introduce myself, say thanks and get something out of the way.

My name is Ken, 32 been using Linux for the past...oh idk 4 years or so. Mostly Debian based distros and of course Arch. Downloaded and tried Zorin on a whim the other day and must say i am impressed, everything WORKS! This is the first time I've actually had a distro work well with all of my hardware (except wireless but its broadcom so i understand and its an easy fix). This brings me to a question, what do you guys do to it to make it actually work so well? This may seem like an odd question but I have never found a distro that used my video card the way this one does. Even games that windows says i can't run (even though i know i meet the reqs for) such as aquaria and braid run flawlessly on Zorin. No tweaking was needed, no scripts needed to be run, I can even run them with compiz on at acceptable frame-rates. All I can imagine is possibly the older kernel + the newer gallium drivers are responsible. Either way i'm glad it works just like to know why I can't acheive the same on stock *buntu.

Great work to the entire team at Zorin OS oh and wolfman. I know i've heard that name before, just can't place where (another linux forum)

madvinegar

Tue May 08, 2012 7:04:02 am

Welcome to the zorin community!

Please post here the results of:

Code:
lspci

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Code:
sudo rfkill list all

so as to help you with your wireless card. ;)

Wolfman

Tue May 08, 2012 7:30:30 am

Hi Ken and welcome,

yes!; I am on other forums; PinguyOS and Pear OS, I don't recognise your name though!.

The next version of Zorin will be out soon which is Zorin 6, lets hope that all your hardware and games work like you say on that version. Ubuntu 12.04 has better hardware support so there shouldn't be a problem!1.

Just to help you with the Wifi problem:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue May 08, 2012 7:54:42 am

Wolfman wrote:Just to help you with the Wifi problem:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper

WM I believe there is no need to resort to ndiswrapper and windows drivers. He has a broadcom wireless card which is very well supported by linux. I just need the outcome of the above terminal commands to see the exact model, trace if there is any problem and guide him accordingly to get it working with the correct firmware. :D

Wolfman

Tue May 08, 2012 8:18:50 am

MV,

now you know why I called you the "Wireless" man :D :D :D :D

kenharkey7

Tue May 08, 2012 6:33:50 pm

I already have the wireless sorted out, its pretty standard with my laptop https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... er/bcm43xx

I was just saying how that was the only issue i've had and everything else has worked beautifully.