This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 5.2 Core 32 bit

jymm

Mon May 21, 2012 1:58:25 am

I love Zorin. It is fast and very easy to use with a very good user interface. I tried Zorin Lite first, but had trouble with Wine. I like that Core had Wine and Play on Linux already installed. Two programs have kept me from Linux. I love Quicken, and have tried all the open source alternatives and found them lacking. The other is my wife loves to play Texas Holdem on Poker Stars. Both installed on the Play on Linux virtual drive and worked with no problems. I found it easier just to uninstall what I do not use for software and Ubuntu Tweak cleaned up the computer nicely. I would recommend Zorin OS to anyone.

My one criticism is root. At first I just though Administrator was Zorin's way of naming root. I soon found out it was not when I tried to install some new software that needed root privileges. Doing some reading I found out Ubuntu locks root. Reading many tutorials and forums I was able to unlock root after many tries and install Samba and get Unetbootin to work. If I was new to Linux I would have given up on this, but having had experience with root on other OS so I worked through the problem. Providing software the requires root and then locking it seems rather dumb if you are trying to win new users, and insulting if you are an experienced user. It is the one change I would make.

Still I love Zorin, will recommend it to anyone looking for a change. I think it is the best OS out there. It runs fast on older systems and like lightening on newer systems. If you are looking around, I recommend you give Zorin a try. I have use Xandro, PC linux 2009 - 12 and Mint 11 and 12. Zorin 5.2 core is the best yet.