This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 5.2 Look Changer

Bas

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:56:05 pm

I really like Zorin, it's great!!

However I have one nasty problem.
As soon as you hit the Look-changer all custom icons and settings are defaulted again.

Why can's e.g. Gnome2 Icons I added to the bar be kept?

I understand they can's be using in different looks, but why are they erased when going back to the look they where set?
If it can't be done, why isn't there a warning about this?

Anyway, keep up the good work, as I used to run Ubuntu with Gnome2 and stayed with 10.04LTS because of that, Zorin made my day!!
As it's up-to-date Linux with the best desktop ever Gnome2.

Thanks guys. :D

Wolfman

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46:53 am

Hi,

for each "Look" you select, you create a seperate config file for it, when you change looks, the config file for that look takes over!!, simple as that!!. I don't know how it works in depth, maybe someone from Admin can help here!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:47:52 am

Just a footnote here on themes, you must make sure when downloading and installing themes that they are indeed suitable for the OS you are using, Zorin 6 is now GTK3 whereas Zorin 5 is GTK2, please bear that in mind when you try to install a theme!!.

Some themes will work with both gtk2 and 3 :D :D You need to check that beforehand!.

Bas

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:23:55 pm

Euh guy's, I'm not installing anything special, it's just the Look-Changer that is removing e.g. Thunderbird that I put in the top bar (quick-button)..
It doesn't keep my settings, even when you go back to the default one.
I'm not talking about themes, I'm talking about the looks-tool that is own to Zorin.

E.g. If I show W7 looks to somebody just to show it, then my Gnome2 look is defaulted, e.g. Thunderbird Icon is removed.

I would like to see it give you the option to save your own stuff to be restored when going back.
Maybe nobody uses the bar's to add stuff, but mine is filled with extra's and they are gone on every look-change.

Bas

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46:52 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Have you gone through the process of 'Lock to panel' for each icon you put on the panel?

Lock to panel only means that you lock their place, so they don't move.
Locked or not, as soon as you change looks to W7 and back to Gnome2 they are gone.

Please don't answer if you haven't tried this, I'm not a newbie to Linux, I have been using Linux and Unix for years and years.

The reason I use Gnome2 is because it's the only good Linux shell around, in fact I rather use the CLI for most things :lol:

madvinegar

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:59:27 pm

Try this.
Set up your look the way you like it.
Use the look changer to change to some other look.

Then instead of using again look changer to get back to your modified look, log out, and in the log-in screen select from the list of looks your look and see if when you get back, everything is as you left it.

i.e. if you have modified the gnome look by installing a cairo dock, in the list of looks in the log-in screen, it should have an option saying "gnome with cairo" or something similar.

Bas

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:34:20 am

Not talking about a theme that is used in a look.
I'm talking about icons that are gone.
I set e.g. Thunderbird on the uppper-bar, then when you change the look it's gone, no matter what you do.
Even when you logout and return, it's simply gone.
Also I make autostart applications so it play the radio after startup, that startup is gone too.

In short, the entire desktop defaults to installation looks and icons.
If it was just a theme changing, that wouldn't be a biggie, but my own stuff is gone, all of it.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:36:19 pm

Bas wrote:Not talking about a theme that is used in a look.
I'm talking about icons that are gone.
I set e.g. Thunderbird on the uppper-bar, then when you change the look it's gone, no matter what you do.
Even when you logout and return, it's simply gone.
Also I make autostart applications so it play the radio after startup, that startup is gone too.

In short, the entire desktop defaults to installation looks and icons.
If it was just a theme changing, that wouldn't be a biggie, but my own stuff is gone, all of it.

Hi Bas,

normally you right click on the icon you added to the panel and then on "Lock", it should hold it in place!!.

Auldyin

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:39:39 am

Hi all

I notice that Ubuntu Tweak has got Desktop Recovery If you use Backup before changing anything I presume that Recover will get back your old settings.

I haven't used it myself so I don't know if this is correct so use at your own risk.

Cheers Auldyin

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Bas

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51:41 am

Thanks now I can rebuild my own desktop again....the backup does not work.
I made a backup, changed the look, rebooted.
Changed back, rebooted.
Restored via Ubuntu tweak, and behold.....it's defaulted again.....
Doesn't anybody test this at all??

It's not a major issue, but it's strange that it doesn't tell you this before making the change.

Bas

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06:42 am

Exactly that is what happens, but even worse, if you make a starter via the starter menu, it will be gone too.
The look-changer is a rather basic changer and overwrites stuff instead of let you backup-restore them.
For example, I have a startup app: "gnome-mplayer http://streaming.4fm.be/4fm_hi" that I let start.
This makes my OS play the radio as soon as it starts, however the look-changer kills my entry and my radio doesn't play anymore.

Bas

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:03:42 pm

I agree with that, but I like to show people the different looks and then go back.
And no I do not like different accounts on my machine.
But hey, they will fix it someday or make a good desktop-backup for it.
I can wait for that, as said before, not a major issue.