This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gnome2

pst007x

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:48:39 pm

What happens to Zorin OS, which is based on Ubuntu Gnome2, when Ubuntu drops the Gnome2 GUI?

Can Zorin keep the same layout based on Gnome3?

Gnome3 and the Unity GUI are awful :evil: , take more clicks to get to where you want, have to use the keyboard more to navigate quickly, it seems a step backward..

Zorin seems like the last stand for a decent Ubuntu release...

I have just recently discovered Zorin, so what will the future hold for their customizable layout?

pst007x

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48:36 pm

I have used Unity and Gnome3, I can understand why some will like it. I just find it very restrictive, much like Win and Mac.

With these OS's you get what you get, we all look the same, use it the same. Obviously great for tech support and for new users, but not so good if you like to customise your OS. For me, it was the flexibility that first attracted me to linux, and then to Ubuntu., and now Zorin...
I hope Zorin, whatever it is based on, keeps the feel of customisation for the user, whilst providing the latest drivers, etc, that comes with new releases..

Hey I don't ask for much :lol:

craig10x

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:39:53 pm

You can have Gnome 3 without unity....Linux Mint plans to do that in it's next edition so there is no reason why Zorin couldn't do the same and i would imagine likely would!

VanR

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52:48 am

Of the two I much preferred Gnome 3 to Unity.

pst007x

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57:57 pm

After testing Gnome3 in the fedora environment, I found that Gnome2 is far more customizable. I can set-up the Gnome2 environment exactly how I like it, unfortunately with Gnome3, you are told how to use it.

Gnome3 is intuitive and has some good ideas but it still takes longer to get to your installed software, where as a 'gnome menu applet' takes you straight there.

However, that's progress for you, but it just feels like a step back.

Hopefully Zorin will maintain the customizability of gnome2.. we shall see...

Obsidian1723

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:24:49 pm

There's a gnome2 fork called "mate", there's also a script project called "UGR" or "Ubuntu Gnome Remix", both of which show potential. I'd like to see gnome2 stick around awhile, but it would require a major development team to keep it going since the gnome devs have movedo nto gnome3. You can kind of make gnome3 work like gnome2 with some extensions, but not really.

Ideally, the gnome2 features should be in gnome3, but that'd be hard to do. It's like trying to intergrate Windows 3.1.1's features and UI into Windows 95. gnome2 and gnome3 are really two separate paths of development.

To further add into the mix, let's say someone does keep gnome2 going, all of the applications out there are going to start being written for gnome3's configuration unless there is a major and equal push for gnome2 support (be in via UGR, mate, or ????) because supporting gnome2 AND gnome3 will require more work for everyone involved.

I'm a huge fan of gnome2 and prefer it over gnome3 and unity, both of which break my workflow. KDE has it's own issues, and the next best thing to gnome2 is XFCE, but it sorely lacks the smoothness and features of gnome2. I'm personally going to run Ubuntu 10.04LTS and Zorin OS 3.1 until the wheels fall off of them and I simply can't run them anymore due to hardware issues or whatnot. I personally would rather go to a strictly CLUI over a sucky GUI. In fact, going solely CLUI would take me back to when I first started computing over 33 years ago.

Obsidian1723

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:42:23 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Obsidian, Bash is something we all (including me!) need to learn. Just for clarity of your last post I think you meant CLI (Command Line Interface) not Command Line User Interface! :D

No, I meant and do mean still..... CLUI, Command Line User Interface.

GUI = Graphical USER interface
CLUI = Command Line USER Interface

Whether or not you use CLUI or GUI, they both exist in userland, both are interfaces for the user.

Obsidian1723

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:48:06 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
Obsidian1723 wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Obsidian, Bash is something we all (including me!) need to learn. Just for clarity of your last post I think you meant CLI (Command Line Interface) not Command Line User Interface! :D

No, I meant and do mean still..... CLUI, Command Line User Interface.

GUI = Graphical USER interface
CLUI = Command Line USER Interface

Whether or not you use CLUI or GUI, they both exist in userland, both are interfaces for the user.

Hi Obsidian, On this side of the pond it has always been CLI! 8-)

So then on that side of the pond is it "GI" or "GUI" ?