This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

FIRST REACTIONS TO ZORIN 6

ponderer

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:23:17 am

After using Ultimate for a year, I can say it has been rock solid. Not using an anti-virus was terrifying, at first. I preferred the Gnome layout. But after trying Core 6, with its new elegance of design, I am surprised I now enjoy the default 'Windows 7' layout, (though I hate "the real thing"!) After an hour, I could find no faults. I loved the new Help arrangement: user-friendly and interesting. Plus the request for feedback. So much attention to detail, that Zorin os. has definitely raised the bar for quality. I found myself saying, "Delicious!" Finally, I did find a minor blemish. I could not find the Firewall. (The reference is vague in Help.) Of course, this is crucial to newcomers. When trying Core 6, they need to be reassured of its existence, at that stage. After searching the Home website, its existence seems assured. Though I did wonder if the text did fully refer to the new Core 6.

The lack of a Restart option when closing, surprised me, as I use it regularly in Ultimate 5. Maybe, it is not an issue.

I had quite a struggle registering last year. After the first successful visit, I could not get back into the Forums. My user name was rejected each time I tried, although it was the same as on the Administration email of confirmation. I wondered how many new users had hidden frustrations with no means to signal about them. Increasingly, we are too busy to spend the time and effort. I reckon Zorin has missing numbers of supporters in its ranks. The forum should be buzzing with inspiration by now. But, there is struggle to get in over the wall. Last year, after such good work for stage 5, I saw a number of abandoned websites and rough amateur videos, whose messages were capable of doing real damage. I believe Version 6 will bring a leap forward in numbers! I recommend Zorin wholeheartedly. It is terrific. It runs as fast as on Day 1.

It is about time there was a truly easy way of checking what peripherals work best in tandem! Unnecessary misery, getting used to finding trails through dusty postings, and Terminal-alarm of the unknown, just let the great Linux system down. Manufacturers and computer stores seem to have been got at, so they do not reveal whether their equipment is Linux-compatible. The same with Argos or even Amazon. In my case, that makes me more determined!

VirtualNexus

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:36:11 am

Well gee. Should I be honest here? Luckily I installed it on a test HDD first.
I thought 6RC worked better.
The Web browser installer still doesn't work, but then it never did anyway, but Firefox can be had via synaptic.
The screen saver can hardly be configured now, and all I get is a blank screen option.
Desktop effects can't be configured either, number of desktops option is where? I like 5, but I can only have 4?
Some PPA's are not working, getting errors and have to be unchecked and fixed.
I couldn't find any Torrent program, had to download one.
Panels disappear after pressing the dreaded 'update" button but then come back on second cold sweat restart.
Flashing when changing desktops.
What happened to "fall apart" windows?, 6RC effects worked fine without having to download nvidia drivers. Had to download nvidia drivers twice to get the right one working.
Minimal settings in 'rotate cube' and 'desktop cube'.
Blue faces again.
Totem Player is non functional for MP4.
Minitube still won't work in Zorin 6, plays sound and downloads but no visible video, and frankly, I'm tired of trying to make it work since Videodownloadhelper works just fine in Firefox and minitube works fine in Zorin 5.2.
(For some reason, Zorin is just about the only OS that resists Minitube. Even in 5.2, I have to download the non working version in synaptic, AND download the favio website 171 version and make a launcher.)
Why Google chrome? Firefox is the #1 choice, not the spyware Google.
Did someone decide maybe the user shouldn't be fooling around 'configuring'?

Thanks but I'll stick to my trusty Zorin 5.2, by far the best one so far, one of three of the best all time Linux OS's on the planet.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32:13 am

Hi VN,

quite a list you have there, I can help you with a couple of things!!.

For MP4 playback you need the codecs pack which should be in the package "non-free-codecs". (You do have the Medibuntu repo active don't you??)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852

An alternative PPA for Nvidia drivers: (Use at your own risk) Enter the following in a terminal:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

For general fixes and broken files/packages:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

For Minitube, add the "Getdeb" PPA and then update the system fully:

http://www.getdeb.net/welcome/

Hope this helps you somewhat!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

craig10x

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30:53 pm

I was just curious (this is a question for anyone who has the ultimate edition installed) with the Mac Osx look, is the top panel a "global menu" (like the way it is on ubuntu's unity and also the mac's osx) which means that the items that you would normally see in an application window (say file manager for example) such as "File" Edit" etc etc would appear in the top panel instead....that is done to save space...and it also gives you a bit more real estate when a web page is open, as well...

I like the global menu, so that is why i was wondering how it is set up when you go to the mac osx look on there...

Thanks... ;)

Wolfman

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:44:36 pm

Hi Craig,

it is a one stop menu (Global), all apps and folders in one, if you want a more G2 look, use the G2 look instead as it has an applications and places menu!!. This is what I prefer.

Mac look also uses "Docky".

craig10x

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:48:09 pm

Thanks Wolfman! ;)
So helpful as always... :D

ponderer

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:02:25 pm

FOUR MATTERS: (1) In Core 6, how do you put extra icons in the G2 top bar? It was easy in 5.2 Ultimate. Probably, I am missing the obvious. (2) My downloaded Skype 4 for Linux is fine with Core 6. But, on my desktop 5.2 Ult., I still get incoming sound + vision with text outgoing only, even with a new webcam. Do Skype updates move us to the brand-new version 4 for Linux? Or should I remove and download it? (3) A baby question: Should Zorin users register with Ubuntu and/or Mint forums to participate in them? How is the Ubuntu family inclusive? What matters do you like to grow Zorin forums? (4) I don't want installed games, (indeed all of Libre except Writer), and other bits. Does it wreck things to remove bits of Libre? Should i bother? What happens to unnecessary and associated code? Is it stripped out somehow? And will it made things faster and more economic? I tried Lite 5 and found it bleak in comparison. (5) Sorry, 1 more: I wish there were more sub-forums! Because it's a puzzle which forum to select. How do I post a variety of questions such as these? So for now, I put these with my first post here. Greetings to fellow Zorin users! Isn't 6 great! (6) Ah, sorry again! For my eyes, the labels for these forums seem mighty small! Even on decent-sized screens. Yes, I know, caps are considered a no-no, as they scream. But, why not use them there? They should attract and boldly flag the way into each forum. On previous occasions I, for one, have walked away. Do others, too?

Wolfman

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27:09 pm

Hi,

for possible solution to Skype audio; look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

For a complete post install guide for Z6 Core including about adding icons to the top panel:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

For general updates:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

If you want o participate in Ubuntu forums you will have to register.

If you remove main packages like LO; I cannot say whether you will have problems with the DE afterwards.