This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Impression of Zorn Core

LoneWolf

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:21:35 pm

Hi,
The other day I was on Distrowatch and the news release for the Business edition caught my eye. I'm curious to what packages are included in the business addition? I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 but if the Business edition has packages not included in the software manager I may be interested.

Anyway I liked what I saw when i checked out Zorn-OS and decided to download the core 64bit version. I installed in on an older box for testing;
AMD Athlon 30000+ processor
1 gb of memory
160 gb hard drive
Nividia Geforce 3300

At first I tried to install it from the live DVD in windows7 interface. Well Windows live up to it's name and the install kept crashing. Nautilus would crash. So I decided to install it from the DVD Menu and that worked. Of the bat I was impressed on the elegance of desktop and the ease of use and how much it did look like Windows 7. So I decided to put it to the test. I asked my wife to come in and just do some things with it like she does on her computer which is a Windows 7 machine. Well it passed with flying colors, she was able to do everything she tried and said it was pretty much like her own system.

When I tried to install Firefox from the Browser manager I got dialog box that said "Error !" that was it no other info. I also had to update Wine to 1.3.23 so a windows app would work but other then that I haven't had any problems and i'm thinking about replacing my desktop with either the business addition or ultimate.

You all have done an excellent job with Zorn. :D

LoneWolf

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12:19 pm

Hi swarfendor437, Thanks for the feedback, I have worked in IT for over 20 years writing windows programs but I started using Linux personally several years ago so dealing with bugs is not new to me and you can usually find a work around. The Machine I loaded Zorn on is kind of old and has had many, many distro's on it and it was going to share the HD with Mint Linux so there is no telling what was causing the problem because the live DVD worked just fine.

When I was first looking at Zorn I saw a video on youtube that went through the installation from the Windows 7 Live DVD I don't know it this was your video or not but he mentioned his web site Total OS Today. I still need to go out check this site out.

As i mentioned I worked in IT as my second career but about a year & half ago the company I worked for close it's doors. So after realizing that there just aren't any jobs out there and coming to the decision that I was fed up with the corporate world the wife & I decided that I should retire and just open up a small engine repair (before you say that is odd coming from a computer background, my first career was as and aircraft engine mechanic. I could just make more money as a programmer. :o ) This is what first got my attention was the business version. I thought it would be nice to be able to install an OS that was already set up for a small business and I wouldn't have to worry about finding the package installing it etc. That is why I was looking for a package index for the business version. I was also thinking since the Zorn developers were so innovative that they might have some packages I have not heard of or had them integrated in a new way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking Ultimate is all of the other editions combined. Maybe I'll just get both editions and see which one fits my needs best.

Thanks again for the feedback and the effort it took to write it, it has been quite beneficial to me.

LoneWolf

Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:20:59 pm

Thanks,