This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My personal Preference Zorin 5.2 vs 6.0

Anonymous

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:15:34 am

Hi,

I found Zorin-OS by accident. I was given a laptop 3 years ago without software. I typed into the IE search box "FREE OS", and was actually surprised to find quite a few. I had never heard of Linux before that I can remember. I had heard of the bigger cousin UNIX. The first Linux OS I used was Mandriva. I thought it was pretty awesome, even with the problems I was encountering. When they went bankrupt, I did another search and found other Linux versions. I tried Mint, Ubuntu, and a couple of other quirky ones. They didn't impress me. I stumbled across Zorin-OS. I installed the free 5.2 version on my free laptop, and was impressed at how easily it installed, and how it worked. The speed, configurability, the software, etc. I was so impressed, I actually forked out the money to get the Ultimate version. I was anticipating the release of Zorin 6.0 enthusiastically. I didn't know how they could make it better. Well, make it more perfect was what I was expecting. When 6.0 was released I didn't even wait to test it first, I bought it right away.
When it booted and I actually saw what I had, I became a little disenfranchised. The system settings was not as rich with features or configuration capabilities. You didn't have the ability to download themes for the window borders like you had in 5.2. It seems that 6.0 is a downgraded version of 5.2. There may be benefits to the programming code, but it doesn't show outwardly. I was going to install 6.0 on my desktop, and my other laptop, but I have decided to stay with 5.2. I like how things are set up on 5.2. It seems natural that the various options and program links are right where they should be. I found my way around in no time. 5.2 is lacking in network config, as I found out whern I had a problem. 6.0 has a richer more capable network setup. That is easier. I will stay with 5.2 on my desktop and one laptop. The other laptop has 6.0 on it.

I'm not a professional bloger or anyone of importance. This is just my opinion.

I have learned a lot about since then, and continue to learn.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:31:38 am

Hi,

thanks for the input, it is important to note that the devs are limited with the way the system can be setup by the restrictions imposed on the world by the Gnome 3 devs, they took many tools out of Gnome 3 that were present in Gnome 2 but offered no or litlle replacement for them, this is why it is harder to configure!!.

Not that it may help you too much but I made a post install guide which might help you a little:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D