This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade your Zorin install and make it bleeding edge?

gingerman431

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:02:45 am

Upgrade your Zorin install and make it bleeding edge?

This was something that troubled me for sometime. I found the answer in another forum. I upgraded my Zorin 6 install all the way to Raring Ringtail. :D

How easy to do that surprised me!
You see, there are no updates of Awn dock at all--it is practically dead. The rest of the updates come from Ubuntu Precise.

What if I change the repos from Precise to Raring and update the repos? And upgrade?
It was so simple, and I have the newest Zorin install. :D

I checked my sources.liist and unticked all the ppas etc,and opened the terminal and wrote;
sudo sed -i 's/precise/raring/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

and,
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Few hours later, I had Raring Ringtail with the Awn dock and all other Zorin modifications. :D
I had jumped all the way from Precise based Zorin 6 to Raring based Zorin (8?)
So, I have the bleeding edge Raring Ringtail Zorin. Works very well. :D

Not that, I am asking you guys to do this, as it is only for the front-line soldiers. I bet none of you have this.

Anonymous

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:23:24 am

Open Terminal: (Enter) >> uname -r <<<

And you will see you still have the same kernel. The actual kernel via Ubuntu 13.04 will not be out until March with a beta release only.

gingerman431

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:48:03 am

datek1 wrote:Open Terminal: (Enter) >> uname -r <<<

And you will see you still have the same kernel. The actual kernel via Ubuntu 13.04 will not be out until March with a beta release only.

The kernel is;
$ uname -r
3.7.0-030700rc2-generic

Not from Raring, but from Ubuntu kernels.

There are enough kernels for you to use. The safest is 3.6.6, but if you want, you can get 3.7-rc4

My installation is now not Zorin 6, not Zorin 7, but far away in front!
By the way, I know how to use the terminal... :)

Cheers!

Anonymous

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52:23 pm

To all who is interested in Ref: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

: Ubuntu 13.04 aka_Raring Ringtail ( will not be LTS. ) Ubuntu 14.04 will be LTS.
: All 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic is basically the developers preview for the upcoming finished product of the release of 3.8 kernel to be used in Ubuntu 13.04.
: Upgrading to 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic will not in reality give you bleeding edge do to compatibility issues in open source applications.

There is a projected beta release only for Rairing Ringtail in March 2013 and official release in April 2013.
Until then, no one will have the real mccoy until those dates!!!!

Mark Shuttleworth is keeping a tight grip on the upcoming edition of Ubuntu 13.04
So don't believe everything hear and read about.
Links in Ref : http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... ritics-ire

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:31:22 am

datek1 wrote:To all who is interested in Ref: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

: Ubuntu 13.04 aka_Raring Ringtail ( will not be LTS. ) Ubuntu 14.04 will be LTS.
: All 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic is basically the developers preview for the upcoming finished product of the release of 3.8 kernel to be used in Ubuntu 13.04.
: Upgrading to 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic will not in reality give you bleeding edge do to compatibility issues in open source applications.

There is a projected beta release only for Rairing Ringtail in March 2013 and official release in April 2013.
Until then, no one will have the real mccoy until those dates!!!!

Mark Shuttleworth is keeping a tight grip on the upcoming edition of Ubuntu 13.04
So don't believe everything hear and read about.
Links in Ref : http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... ritics-ire

Pal, I wrote my experience. I didn't ask anyone to do the same. If they do, they are fearless!
Don't worry about Mark keeping a tight grip on 13.04 release. It would arrive in April 2013. By that time, I'd have my installation updated and upgraded. As I have Unity installed too, I'd get whatever Ubuntu releases, everyday, every week, every month.

It is my laptop and my partition, and I have the right to do whatever I please with it.
My installation is working very well, excellent, and it is due to Ubuntu devs and community devs, not anyone else. I don't use the Look Changer or the other one, sorry. They are actually deleted from Applications.

When upgrading, Apt asked whether I want to keep the distro name etc or the maintainer's. I declined, but if I did that, I'd have Ubuntu 13.04 Development in my lsb-release. I have also upgraded directly from Ubuntu 11.10 to Raring, so don't tell me, I can't, okay pal? :D

I might even upgrade to kernel 3.7 rc4. Who is going to stop me, pal? Its my risk, and I can take that. I am an Engineer with more than 30 years experience, and Engineers take risk.

By the way, I'd always have LTS, as Raring would have 1.5 years from the day its released. Then, I'd move into the next Ubuntu repo, and have the "support" all the time. :D

Good day!

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:30:15 am

Warning to all!
If you try my method, do it at your own risk, okay? :)

Good day!

Anonymous

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:50:00 am

gingerman431 wrote:Warning to all!

Good day!

That's more like it!!! Thankyou

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:59:00 am

A public slagging match will not be tolerated, please bear this in mind.

Edited by Admin.

Anonymous

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08:31 am

gingerman431 wrote:
datek1 wrote:
gingerman431 wrote:Warning to all!

Good day!

That's more like it!!! Thankyou

But, stop writing me insulting private emails, okay?
Good day!

Telling you the truth is not insulting in private! The way you conducted yourself here in the open is insulting to everyone!!!!!

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:01:59 am

You wrote you were at Microsoft and retired from there, so I can understand your problem. I hope you didn't work for Microsoft, undermining Linux. Do you know that even MS windows could be upgraded?!

Anyway, about your comment on Mark Shuttleworth hiding something from us, check here; http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/mile ... 243/builds

Good day!

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23:41 am

Just for the fun's sake, my friend Datek1, read this
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3474
and install apt-fast, and
sudo sed -i 's/precise/raring/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
and
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and see what you get. :)

If you are afraid to go so far as Raring, try this only;
sudo sed -i 's/precise/quantal/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I didn't say upgrade, dist-upgrade, which is such a normal thing to do!
I'm sure you'd like the change and you might even thank me. :)

Anonymous

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:26:33 am

You have the floor my friend!!! You started something you need to finish for these folks. You need to explain what you did and how where and why!!!! What is good about having the bleeding edge!! Where do you see the bleeding edge in relation to the upgrade you were referring earlier. We need details where we can get in on the action. People not only care what you did but how they can too!! I want to know details and links!!! When I start a (How to do something) anyone can understand where I'm coming from. That's what you need to do.I already know what will work and what won't. But since this is your baby. Your the man with the plan.You come on this forum harping your way ahead of the others. Well it's time show what you know BillyBob. If you can't produce then nothing else needs to be said from this point on. I'm here to help these folks where I'm able. And if all the facts aren't straight then I will step in to help stop a disaster before it happens.

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:37:13 am

datek1 wrote:You have the floor my friend!!! You started something you need to finish for these folks. You need to explain what you did and how where and why!!!! What is good about having the bleeding edge!! Where do you see the bleeding edge in relation to the upgrade you were referring earlier. We need details where we can get in on the action. People not only care what you did but how they can too!! I want to know details and links!!! When I start a (How to do something) anyone can understand where I'm coming from. That's what you need to do.I already know what will work and what won't. But since this is your baby. Your the man with the plan.You come on this forum harping your way ahead of the others. Well it's time show what you know BillyBob. If you can't produce then nothing else needs to be said from this point on. I'm here to help these folks where I'm able. And if all the facts aren't straight then I will step in to help stop a disaster before it happens.

My friend Datek!,

If you look in here; http://www.ubuntu.com/, you'd see "Download Ubuntu 12.10" and there is no button to download Ubuntu 12.04. isn't it somewhat silly to stay with an older release, when the base guys are offering something new? And, whne they are offering something even new here; http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/mile ... 243/builds

Have a good day, My friend!
I won't post anything on this matter after this, okay?

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:39:46 am

gingerman431 wrote:A public slagging match will not be tolerated, please bear this in mind.

Edited by Admin.

Sorry, Admin!
I didn't start it.
Mine was a simple post. I didn't think this would go this far...
Have a nice day!
I won't post a word on this matter again. :D

gingerman431

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:58:36 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Just to say no-one is saying gingerman431 can't do what he likes - as there are a lot of 'noobs' to GNU/Linux we try to ensure that the experience is a stable one. Everytime I read 'bleeding edge' I think of 'Fedora ##' and reach for the Band Aid Box! :lol:

Toying with GNU/Linux is not for the faint hearted, and please gingerman431 - don't take things so personally - this is a community and community members try to get on with each other - it's probably the one place we can get on with other people! :lol:

Peace on all of us! 8-)

Oh no, pal!
I am not taking this personally, only datek1 wanted to fight, but I don't want to do that. He said he was retired from Microsoft, which made me laugh, really. I can't remember, when I last logged into my Microsoft-tax Win7, as I have all my apps in Linux and through Wine. Win7 was still buggy, if I remember correctly.

What I said was here that I won't write about upgrading, even though I have a very nice working Zorin OS (it was 6, now I don't know which). You see, I checked with Launchpad and found that Zorin OS modifications of any kind had not changed and if I want, I can download them and install trhen to any Ubuntu based distro. Only, I don't need the Look Changer or the Web Browser changer and I am getting bit tireed of the "jumping" windows--I ticked it off in Compiz. When, I upgraded, I could install the upgraded Compiz, so that "feature" is turned of by default.

It was information, I mean what I did, so I reported that. I'm quite sure no one has the vanilla Zorin OS 6. Everyone had tweaked it for their needs, am I right?

Have a good day! :D

PS: By the way, have a look here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Anonymous

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14:59 am

gingerman431 wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Just to say no-one is saying gingerman431 can't do what he likes - as there are a lot of 'noobs' to GNU/Linux we try to ensure that the experience is a stable one. Everytime I read 'bleeding edge' I think of 'Fedora ##' and reach for the Band Aid Box! :lol:

Toying with GNU/Linux is not for the faint hearted, and please gingerman431 - don't take things so personally - this is a community and community members try to get on with each other - it's probably the one place we can get on with other people! :lol:

Peace on all of us! 8-)

Oh no, pal!
I am not taking this personally, only datek1 wanted to fight, but I don't want to do that. He said he was retired from Microsoft, which made me laugh, really. I can't remember, when I last logged into my Microsoft-tax Win7, as I have all my apps in Linux and through Wine. Win7 was still buggy, if I remember correctly.

What I said was here that I won't write about upgrading, even though I have a very nice working Zorin OS (it was 6, now I don't know which). You see, I checked with Launchpad and found that Zorin OS modifications of any kind had not changed and if I want, I can download them and install trhen to any Ubuntu based distro. Only, I don't need the Look Changer or the Web Browser changer and I am getting bit tireed of the "jumping" windows--I ticked it off in Compiz. When, I upgraded, I could install the upgraded Compiz, so that "feature" is turned of by default.

It was information, I mean what I did, so I reported that. I'm quite sure no one has the vanilla Zorin OS 6. Everyone had tweaked it for their needs, am I right?

Have a good day! :D

PS: By the way, hav

e a look here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

gingerman431

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:20:01 am

Swarfendor437,

Just see the above post by datek1. You understand what I mean, I hope! :)

Swarfendor, if you are a moderator, close this tread please!

Anonymous

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:21:07 am

Your still doing it. When you involve me in a negative way!!!!! You know what Wolfman told you earlier!!! If you want to be left alone leave me out of the conversation!!! You know you have left tracks everywhere the internet...
I'm not mad at you.!!!! You seem to get a chip on your shoulder real quick!!!! Like I said your still talking c***!!! If you wouldn't have mention me again like you did. I wouldn't had to sign back in and post this here for you to read.
When I said you leave tracks everywhere on the internet. I referring Google>> Everything that said here can be pulled up on Google!!!!! Leave me out of this and we won't have a problem that's all!!!

You can say what ever you want, but when you continue to use me in reference above. That's when I take it personal. I an easy going person. I can get along with you are anybody. I have to in my profession!!!! Take it easy I'm not here to bother you or anyone else. I like reading what's going on. Even your post believe it or not. One day you might post something That I don't know about. That's what these threads are for. If I post something and someone knows I'm wrong They can correct me til their hearts content. By the way Linux Mint 14 RC is out Cinnamon and Mint you might want to look at.

Gingerman take a look over in the development thread I just posted. You like being ahead of the game. This will be right up your alley.
My resources gave me a couple of hints earlier today. That thread will be of great interest to you. What I wrote about will more than likely become a reality!
You know most of it that already. It involves the lack of development of gnomenu.

Another thing I have a 9 year version of Azorin that reads these post everyday. Swarf knows what I'm referring about. He's working on his own version of ubuntu using Cinnamon.

gingerman431

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:25:05 am

datek1 wrote:Your still doing it. When you involve me in a negative way!!!!!

I have a right to reply to swarfendor437! :)

Moderator, do please close this thread! :)