This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Growing frustration with Zorin 6

jymm

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09:19 am

I am growing frustrated with Zorin 6. I almost took it off today. I will admit I have not had much time to spend on it lately, as I am working so much right now. Mostly I have went on to update Zorin. It seems at least every other time I boot up the Zorin theme is gone and I have an orange Ubuntu desktop. I really don't like orange much. I think part of the frustration is I had no problems with Zorin 5 core. As frustrated as I have been I really like the LTS and want to keep Zorin for years to come. I am not sure if others are having the same problems. Does anyone know why the Zorin theme goes away, and what to do to prevent it? I know it is not that big a deal to get it back, I had to change the themes and reboot, but I am not a real tolerant person with recurring problems, thus leaving Windows for Linux. Maybe I just need to vent here a bit. Does anyone know it there are updates to keep this from happening? Are others having this same problems as much as myself? Has anyone found a premenat fix for this problem? Let me know. Thanks.

jymm

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54:33 am

Thanks swarfendor437. I have gotten the Z button and theme back each time. I used the post in the forum before to regain them. I use ZorinOS for my theme settings. I will check the update settings. I use apt-get update and upgrade usually, not the updater. I believe I have the settings right, but will check them again. Sometimes I might get the update and upgrade mixed up. I really like the idea of LTS, I want a longterm stable distro, not to be doing a fresh install very 6 months. I guess we all can get frustrated at times, and I am certainly there lately. Patience has never been a vitrue or mine. Again thanks, I hope the update settings solve my problem.

jymm

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:14:21 am

I set the upgrade from only LTS to never. Then my updater came up. It told me I had updates, which I reviewed and then tried to download. It kept telling me I was not connectt. My wireless was connected I could access everything, the internet with my browser and Synaptic worked. The problem is I cannot get my check marks to stay for updates. As soon as I check it, the check mark dissappers. That is for all of them, security updates through backports, though I would not want those checked, I only tried to see what would happen. I then used the terminal and was able to get the required updates and upgrades. Still the fact the updater will not work is frustrating. I was hoping the updates and upgrades would solve the problem but it did not. I have had this problem since I installed Zorin 6. I can work around this with the terminal, but I would like to get it fixed.

jymm

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03:21 pm

swarfendor437 - First I don't know if you want to keep this thread here. It started as Feedback, but has turned into Help and Support.

I tried all the things you suggested to no avail. I can do most of the udpating and upgrading through the terminal. I do get a error message though, and here it is...

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release i386 (20120423)/dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I have no idea what this means, or how to fix it, or if it is even related to the problem that the check marks will not stay. I do think we have made some progress, when I check the box before it just disappered, now the password box comes up requiring my password, and then when I check the box it just disappears.

Any help would be appreciated.

jymm

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:45:14 pm

Yes I had a check mark in the box. I checked unchecked and then rechecked it with the same result. I am beginning to think that this may have been a problem with the installation as it has been a problem since the first boot. The update manager did update Gimp today. Here is the problem.
I cannot get any check marks to stay here. As soon as I check the box, it goes away. When I first check it it does ask for my password, but then when I add the mark it just disappears.
Maybe this should not be checked, as part of keeping it Zorin and not Ubuntu?

jymm

Tue May 07, 2013 11:06:01 pm

Solved. My solution was unorodox. I opened the update center and unchecked the CD. I then copied the CD path for Precise Pangolin. I went to the add software and pasted Precise Pangolin there. It now updates correctly. If anyone else has had this problem, it is a solution. Hope that helps someone, as my frustration was getting to the point I almost gave up on Zorin. Happy now though.

Wolfman

Wed May 08, 2013 6:06:31 am

Hi,

glad you have it sorted now, did you check out this update guide??:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

It might be useful for future reference! :D

Regards Wolfman :D