This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] zorin

rtrg

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:56:16 pm

An open letter to all ZORIN users. I tried it out and for me it is not to my liking for a few reasons. First the wallpaper is not very pleasing, second my CLONING program will not install, "NOT ENOUGH SPACE AVAILABLE". I am using a 120gig drive. Only the OS was installed. Third FIRE FOX and some other programs do not run on ZORIN. Fourth FF was NOT loaded initialy from the software center, "ERROR,FF IS BROKEN". I used OPERA to find it and try to install it from a third party site. OPERA did NOT have a "RUN" choice in the box. Fourth CHROME does NOT have a search bar. I do not like the combination bar. This is not to say that for some users this might be a good choice. It is not for me. I have two more open source OS versions coming to try. I will try to use the same hdd to overwrite ZORIN and install the others one at a time and see if I can use them. In the end I might stick with XP. New CDs coming for WINDOWS.Please do not take this as a rap against ZORIN. That is not my intention. For me there seems to be limitations I cannot deal with.

ak1ovic

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29:02 pm

rtrg wrote:An open letter to all ZORIN users. I tried it out and for me it is not to my liking for a few reasons. First the wallpaper is not very pleasing, second my CLONING program will not install, "NOT ENOUGH SPACE AVAILABLE". I am using a 120gig drive. Only the OS was installed. Third FIRE FOX and some other programs do not run on ZORIN. Fourth FF was NOT loaded initialy from the software center, "ERROR,FF IS BROKEN". I used OPERA to find it and try to install it from a third party site. OPERA did NOT have a "RUN" choice in the box. Fourth CHROME does NOT have a search bar. I do not like the combination bar. This is not to say that for some users this might be a good choice. It is not for me. I have two more open source OS versions coming to try. I will try to use the same hdd to overwrite ZORIN and install the others one at a time and see if I can use them. In the end I might stick with XP. New CDs coming for WINDOWS.Please do not take this as a rap against ZORIN. That is not my intention. For me there seems to be limitations I cannot deal with.

Strange my FireFox runs quite well on Zorin. Lots of things run quite well in Zorin including Netflix,Steam(native linux client as well as Wine installed for a slew of windows games). World of Warcraft runs as good in Zorin as my Win7 install and so does Diablo3 im just a tinkerer but I have to say that Zorin 6.2 was the easiest to install/configure/customise version of Linux ive ever used in over 13 yrs. Its not perfect but neither is Windows when there are 90+ updates to install.

Im keeping my Zorin. Mint14 and Sabayon can sit idle until I feel like fixing something lol.

Deacon

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05:55 pm

rtrg wrote:An open letter to all ZORIN users. I tried it out and for me it is not to my liking for a few reasons. First the wallpaper is not very pleasing, second my CLONING program will not install, "NOT ENOUGH SPACE AVAILABLE". I am using a 120gig drive. Only the OS was installed. Third FIRE FOX and some other programs do not run on ZORIN. Fourth FF was NOT loaded initialy from the software center, "ERROR,FF IS BROKEN". I used OPERA to find it and try to install it from a third party site. OPERA did NOT have a "RUN" choice in the box. Fourth CHROME does NOT have a search bar. I do not like the combination bar. This is not to say that for some users this might be a good choice. It is not for me. I have two more open source OS versions coming to try. I will try to use the same hdd to overwrite ZORIN and install the others one at a time and see if I can use them. In the end I might stick with XP. New CDs coming for WINDOWS.Please do not take this as a rap against ZORIN. That is not my intention. For me there seems to be limitations I cannot deal with.

At first I thought that this was in a virtual box, but now.... I'm starting to wonder if this has something to do with the 12.04.2 updates in Ubuntu. I heard something similar and I am wondering if it is related to updates at install.

This is the second time I've heard of an under 2GB 12.04 based distro install filling the hard drive in three days. And it was a different one. Now I am curious.

madvinegar

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:50:19 am

Maybe the OS was installed in a small partition. We need to see a pic of his disk's partitions.

Deacon

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:29:44 am

madvinegar wrote:Maybe the OS was installed in a small partition. We need to see a pic of his disk's partitions.

True; I was about to suggest df -h but I didn't even think of the partition. We could use df -Th.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26:21 am

Hi,

did you create your partitions in advance,?, did you look at this guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Please post a pic of your current partition layout as already suggested!.

Regards Wolfman :)