This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What I want from Zorin Next eddition

ravizag

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:45:02 pm

Hi I am new to linux, i want to replace my aging Win XP. But i have a requirement of IE. Can you pre install IE8 (or above) with Zorin OS download. hope you reply.
My requirements
1. IE
2. Keep the Num lock on by default.
3. option to install on D: drive along side win XP. because is C: is full with XP.
:D :( :?:

madvinegar

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:11:17 pm

I am pretty sure that you can install IE via play on linux.

I am also pretty sure that you can install zorin on any drive (partition) you like. You just have to install the grub menu at the correct partition. You can choose all that during the installation process.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56:57 pm

Hi, no guarantees, but check this out:

http://www.junauza.com/2010/11/how-to-i ... -ie-8.html

NGIB

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:40:45 pm

Many of us have Windows apps we must continue to use and that's what dual-booting is for. You do know that support for XP ends very soon right?

Uzi

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:23:24 pm

Load XP into Virtualbox. Run windows programs from there.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55:23 pm

There was a poster elsewhere on here that needed i.e., to access a car manual or such like and would only open in IE - that is why I posted that link. There used to be an IE group that 'created' different versions of IE for testing purposes only, not to replace the Linux Browser.

As for Windows Apps some may well run under wine without having to use VB (Virtual Box), or Codeweavers.com, Cross-Over app may fit the bill!

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:27:02 pm

OK currently installing IE8 for WinXP as I write this using PlayOnLinux. What you will need to remember is that XP support ends in April so all the humungous packages that PlayOnLinux is installing now will not be there after April! So back up your entire Zorin install!

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:58:33 pm

Proof of the pudding!:

Screenshot of IE8 on Zorin.jpg

OK for browsing only - not for uploading or watching videos - if you want to watch videos it suggest you install IE9 which PlayOnLinux cannot install!