This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can i suggest a different office suite?

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:15:52 pm

If that is a 'ribbon' I see before my eyes, the answer is 'NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' - Thanks to MS Office 2007, it was the last straw that led to my 6 months depression. The 'ribbon' was designed for PA's and secretaries - not power users - and power users of spreadsheets saw a massive reduction in their productivity with the introduction of 2007 - fact! [I don't have the link to the article but I found it at work].

LibreOffice is King of the free Office world in my book! :mrgreen:

madvinegar

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40:32 am

ov3rwatch thanx for the post! As I am currently looking for an office suite that works good with ms office documents can you please advise the following:

1) Is kingsoft office free? (and/or open?)
2) Does Kingsoft office work good with docx documents? (Not just oppening them but also editing them).
3) For which languages is it available? (is it also available in Greek language?)
4) How can I install it? Is it just one deb file - either for 32 or 64bit systems? (Kingsoft Office for Linux Alpha12 Patch1)???

I have currently installed MS office 2007 (and 2010) via Play On Linux as Libre office could not edit docx documents, but I would really like to get something more "linux native" and more "MS office alike".

madvinegar

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:25:41 am

I will certainly try it out! Thanx again.

NGIB

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50:09 am

I know one thing, it is a SLOW download...

madvinegar

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:27:02 pm

How do you install it on a 64bit system?
I see that for 32bit systems they provide a deb file. But for the x86 they provide a tar.xz!

madvinegar

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:35:29 am

Actually the 32bit deb file worked fine. You just need to have the ia32-libs package installed. You can do that via synaptics.

You were right, the suite is just great! I think it is far better than libre office. It just needs to get more dictionaries (for example they don't have a Greek dictionary yet).
I don't mind that it's in the English language.

Swarf, one of the looks is with no ribbon. Just the plain old drop down catalogs that you are used to.

For me it's a keeper! Thanx again ov3rwatch!

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:13:16 pm

OK, I think you have convinced me - but not putting it on Zorin 6 - just on Pear at moment - will look at this for replacing Office XP when that runs out next year! :D

If you need database then LibreOffice is the complete package - I would be curious to know if Kingsoft Office is in breach of Intellectual Property rights as I notice they use the word 'Font' - LibreOffice is careful to use 'Character' ! ;)