This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

NTFS-3G

megabyte

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:36:57 am

I can't find anywhere on zorin*.com/on the general internet, confirmation/not of the above package being included by default with the latest version of Zorin OS. It would seem strange that it wouldn't be, given this distro's advertised enticement for Windows users to begin using Linux - No access to previous files is no fun, and having to learn how to move them from NTFS to ext* (I would expect) will turn a lot of people off the idea of switching. Can anyone fill me in on support for read/write NTFS support on this distro, then suggest it to the powers-that-be that this be covered in the FAQ's/package listings?

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:59:40 pm

Does this help?

http://www.ntfs-3g.com/distributions.html

As far as I know (and from memory) I have had no issues saving stuff to my Windows 7 drive from Zorin. Where there can be issues is if Windows has not been shut down correctly - e.g., a 'soft' power-off due to a freeze for example - or as in my Windows 8.1 preview install - I can't access it because GNU/Linux sits in front of it - so just having ntfs-3g does not guarantee access! If you want to play safe, set up a separate FAT32 data partition for ease of access. ;)

megabyte

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:18:02 am

Definitely a bookmark worthy page Swarfendor437, but don't see Zorin* listed on the landing page.

Good to know that it seems Zorin has some sort of read/write NTFS support, if only it was better publicised, anywhere! :)

Good note about one of the rules of NTFS, for others.

I am curious about the Windows 8.1 preview install you describe, also... How does GNU/Linux "sit in front of" it?

madvinegar

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:26:11 am

You can just look it up in synaptics package manager.

or you can just write in terminal:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

if it is already installed, the terminal will advise you accordingly.
If not, you can sellect "yes" to install it.
You need internet connection for the above.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:49:31 pm

megabyte wrote:Definitely a bookmark worthy page Swarfendor437, but don't see Zorin* listed on the landing page.

Good to know that it seems Zorin has some sort of read/write NTFS support, if only it was better publicised, anywhere! :)

I am curious about the Windows 8.1 preview install you describe, also... How does GNU/Linux "sit in front of" it?

Well I'm probably asking for trouble - you should always have Windows on as the first OS on a drive if you are dual- triple- or in my case quad-booting. I did not want to faff around removing Zorin 6.0 Ultimate and Pear OS8 Beta 3 only to reinstall, as I doubt if I will be keeping 8.1 preview once the expiry date is over. That said I must say MS have done a great job of a boot time from choosing the loader of 3-5 seconds (but not surprising because apparently two former Canonical employees designed the front end!) So because Windows is after GNU/Linux installs I cannot access it - I am not a hard drive guru - I certainly don't know how to edit/move blocks to the nth degree - I am no super geek! (Wish I was though! :D )

megabyte

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:19:27 pm

madvinegar wrote:You can just look it up in synaptics package manager.

or you can just write in terminal:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

if it is already installed, the terminal will advise you accordingly.
If not, you can sellect "yes" to install it.
You need internet connection for the above.

madvinegar - I know how to install packages on various Linux distros. My point was an individual learning what NTFS read/write package/support is installed on Zorin, after they have already spent the time downloading and installing it, is not much help to the many others considering their options before downloading any distro.

Also, if ntfs-3g (or similar package) was installed, would hope that services like http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin, which, regardless of what method they use to list the packages (I wonder if they have some automated way of downloading the ISO, and parsing it's contents to pull out the default list of installed packages), would list this package, which they don't appear to. This leads back to the question in my first post.

megabyte

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:26:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
megabyte wrote:Definitely a bookmark worthy page Swarfendor437, but don't see Zorin* listed on the landing page.

Well I'm probably asking for trouble - you should always have Windows on as the first OS on a drive if you are dual- triple- or in my case quad-booting. I did not want to faff around removing Zorin 6.0 Ultimate and Pear OS8 Beta 3 only to reinstall, as I doubt if I will be keeping 8.1 preview once the expiry date is over. That said I must say MS have done a great job of a boot time from choosing the loader of 3-5 seconds (but not surprising because apparently two former Canonical employees designed the front end!) So because Windows is after GNU/Linux installs I cannot access it - I am not a hard drive guru - I certainly don't know how to edit/move blocks to the nth degree - I am no super geek! (Wish I was though! :D )

Yes, Windows has traditional not played nice with other OS's installed on the same HDD, or rather pre-existing boot loaders, so your advise is good.

You saying that Windows 8.1 preview boots from boot loader to login screen in 3-5 seconds?

I understand what you mean about the chain-loaded NTLDR (or whatever Windows 8.1 is using), but accessing the boot option, in the boot loader, doesn't control access to the filesystem(s) the OS is installed on / has access to.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02:34 pm

OK, for clarity, this is my rig:

Hard Drive A: ExcelStor 170 Gb - Pear OS 7 64-bit
Hard Drive B: Hitachi Desk (Death!) Star 400 Gb - Zorin 6 Ultimate 64-bit, Pear 8 Beta 3 64-bit, Zorin 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Hard Drive C: Western Digital 200 Gb - Windows 7 Pro 32-bit(x 2)

Prior to installing Windows 8.1 Preview I had managed to screw up my Zorin 7 install - as you can see I have 5 OS's (well 6 due to a Clonzilla fault on my part with Win 7! lol! So I deleted Zorin 7, disconnected A and C so as not to get Windows 8.1 preview stating too many Primary partitions, reconnected A and C after install. Had some space after Windows 8.1 so I tried to install Zorin 7 back on again after 8.1 - no go - this is because the NTFS partition is too far down the line - it should be near the start of the drive (as should any OS for that matter - which is why (if possible) you are better having separate drives rather than partitions but I have had (and still do have) a machine with XP Pro on the start, then a data partition, then Sabayon 3.5.1!

So yes I know about the boot loader thing - I got Zorin 7 back on by having to choose to add alongside Pear 8 Beta 3 before 8.1!

I have just uploaded a video to vimeo.com showing ntfs3g in action with a nice soundtrack from the latest Tunguska Electronic Music Society Chillout Grooves X [Ten]:

https://vimeo.com/78665951

Eighteen minutes left until it gets converted as I write this post!