This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Zorin7.1 core checked

PietO

Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:09:42 pm

a year ago i installed Zorin and switched back to Windows (no apparent advantage). Did today an install of Zorin7.1 core on a VM (oracle's virtual box on Win7).

Short feedback:
- installation without a glitch
- install of sw updates failing (package corrupt .....)
=> could not find a way to get rid of this corrupted package and had to do a clean reinstall.
- found preferences updates and unchecked "unsupported updates".
=> updated fine now.
- played with Awn dock to try out
=> added docks and deleted them even the last one and had to do a clean reinstall again.
- played with Software center and installed a simple file manager.
=> reported a Zorin 7 internal error!
- Chrome is default browser and runs fine.

But . . . definitely NOT faster than Windows 8 desktop running under identical environment. Above did not give real confidence but will continue to evaluate (build-in firewall as next; why disabled per default?).

msrmf

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:01:25 pm

Might want to look at this. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5650

PietO

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:51:58 am

Thanks for your advice: it helped and firewall is operational. Anyhow i expected such basics to operate without any advice. I did not see a notification by the firewall of new detected application on outgoing traffic, thus manual rules-programming.

Furthermore i was surprised that Ubuntu 13.10 was offered as update. Without knowing the risc i'm just doing as many newbee would do: oke go on. Get some questions if some configuration files that were customized needs replacement and has no knowledge/anwser thus . . . .?? Considering the download-size i expect a complete new ZORIN/UBUNTU release at the end, but the DOCK has gone after the restart thus i can't operate ZORIN7.1 anymore. Going snapshot back!

Edit: Ubuntu 13.10 was offered due to my preference changes (see before) but not understanding the impact exectly :) :)

msrmf

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:50:50 pm

PietO wrote:
Edit: Ubuntu 13.10 was offered due to my preference changes (see before) but not understanding the impact exectly :) :)

If your referring to the never update Ubuntu version choice there are many warnings to keep the never checked. What happened did it wipe Zorin and replace with 13.10 Ubuntu?

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:46:34 pm

PietO wrote:a year ago i installed Zorin and switched back to Windows (no apparent advantage). Did today an install of Zorin7.1 core on a VM (oracle's virtual box on Win7).

Short feedback:
- installation without a glitch

Good!

- install of sw updates failing (package corrupt .....)

A.F.A.I.K. (As Far As I Know) 7.1 will only be an extremely short term release - 7.0 expires end of January 2014 so not sure what 7.1 is based on - is it based on 13.10?

=> could not find a way to get rid of this corrupted package and had to do a clean reinstall.
- found preferences updates and unchecked "unsupported updates".

What was the name of the corrupted package?

=> updated fine now.
- played with Awn dock to try out
=> added docks and deleted them even the last one and had to do a clean reinstall again.

Why a clean install?

- played with Software center and installed a simple file manager.
=> reported a Zorin 7 internal error!

You won'[t be able to report a Zorin 7 internal error - this software is a 'remnant' of Ubuntu as it would point to Ubuntu bug reports and not send - my experience! :D

- Chrome is default browser and runs fine.

If you are happy to run spyware on your machine that is up to you! ;)

But . . . definitely NOT faster than Windows 8 desktop running under identical environment.

Sorry friend but under no way does Windows 8 have the same environment as any version of GNU/Linux! ;) If I were you I would drop back to LTS (Long Term Support) of Zorin 6.x - support ends April 2017.

Above did not give real confidence but will continue to evaluate (build-in firewall as next; why disabled per default?).
I read an article on line that the kernel was supposed to have Firewall built in - now I am not so sure - if it is there turn it on to block all incoming - that should all you should do - you may require extra tweaking if you were running a server - which Zorin does not provide at present. I hope they come up with something similar that Pear has (had? - I lost my Pear Security after a Kernel Update! ;)

PietO

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:47:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Sorry friend but under no way does Windows 8 have the same environment as any version of GNU/Linux! ;) If I were you I would drop back to LTS (Long Term Support) of Zorin 6.x - support ends April 2017.

Possibly missunderstanding: i meant HW-environment which was a Virtual machine BOTH for Windows8.1 and Zorin7.1 with identical virtual HW (memory virtual disc size, assigned CPU-cores etc.) and fresh installations. Comparison in boot-speed, Internet access using both Chrome. Doing this, Zorin7.1 was definitely not faster, sometimes noticebly slower.

According to your recommendation, i will forget Zorin7,1 and restart evaluation with LTS-Zorin 6.

Thread can be closed.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11:19 pm

Just one final word before locking this post. I think Zorin do a special spin for it to work like it does so it is unlikely to run in a 'virtual environment' - I always to prefer to install GNU/Linux OSes directly - much better experience! ;)