This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A year of Linux

phelgan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:04:47 pm

Its been about a year now since I first started running Linux, with Zorin 6.2 co-installed with Win XP.
This gave me the confidence to install it as the sole operating system on the new desktop that followed in April.

I have to say that I have had problems, but none that were insurmountable with the help of the residents of the forums here, or on Ubuntu forums and generally the wealth of information of the web. And only one that I would say was a "fault" (mysterious lost of docks and panels).

So thanks everyone connected with Zorin :D

To anyone who might be thinking of taking the plunge, go for it: you do not have to be an IT whizz, just willing to look and ask and learn. The fact that it is cost-free means so what if you screw-it-up? No phoning MS to reactivate your installation, just reinstall *; the help is here (and numerous other places).

* of course keeping regular backups of your data would be good!

Enjoy 8-)

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:57:02 am

Hi phelgan, glad you are satisfied with Zorin. I recently had some criticism from a guy on the local city forum about look-alikes but mainly about LTS until I pointed out it was five and not three like it used to be - he is now (AFAIK - As Far As I Know) running 8.1 and Zorin (he had an upgrade to vista on his Notebook I hasten to add) because he liked the look of Zorin being like Windows! Hats off to the Zorin Team! :D