This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My Thoughts

Anonymous

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24:21 pm

Zorin-OS offers a user an amazing experience with easy to use features and by it's windows like design. When I first found Zorin OS, I was in love! It is slick, nicely designed and makes it simple to do daily tasks.

I have taken the time to email in my questions/feedback to Zorin OS team and here are the [Q]uestions and [A]nswers alone with [C]omments based on the answers.

===================================================================================================================

Q.) When you go to buy Zorin OS Ultimate, you only have 1 currency. When I go to buy your Ultimate edition, I have to not only pay your price, but I also get hit with a conversions charge as well. This is simply not fun. Do you think you can add more currency's?

A.) Unfortunately it is difficult for us to keep track of value fluctuations in multiple currencies. Therefore we are only able to offer Zorin OS in Euros (as we are based in Ireland) with PayPal handling the currency exchange. However, you are also able to purchase Zorin OS in Bitcoins.

C.) I think NOT offering other currency can cause some people to avoid buying if not donating to this project. Bitcoins is something I am not clear on and how it works, but let's just say I will pass. I would like to stress however, money is not really a issue for me, but the lack of wanting to extend the currencies is very disheartening for such an amazing OS. This will effect my choice for future donations and buying of Zorin-OS.

===================================================================================================================

Q.) When you visit most Linux Distro websites, they have a way to help the community, other than through donations. Do you think you could add ways for others to help your team? It kinda feels like the team is limited to certain people.

A.) You can contribute to the Zorin OS project in a multitude of ways. If you are a software developer you can contribute some work in the Development section of the forum. For anything else, you can contribute in the Community Contributions section of the forum.

C.) From my experiance with this forum, it feels overwhelming and cluttered. I see more stickies then anything else. Being on the outside mainly and looking in, I can see how many could get worked up with trying to get answers to questions on this cluttered forum. I know many are "important" post, but maybe have a wiki page or even better, have a section on your website where you break everything down by category. Example Here Also, if the "Community Forums" are the place for people to help, than why are we given email address to certain feedback or questions we have? I was also kinda looking for a more "on hands" way of helping.

Q.) Can you release your Distros that are LTS only? I think a lot of people would appreciate this more.

A.) As Zorin OS follows the Ubuntu release schedule, LTS releases are created every 2 years. You can get Zorin OS 6 from our website which is the latest Zorin OS LTS release which is supported until 2017. The next Zorin OS LTS release will be Zorin OS 9 which will be based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

C.) I wont lie, I kinda feel like this was a canned responds to this question. It is not really addressing the question in it's clearest form.

Q.) If Ubuntu starts charging other Distros to use there code, will Zorin be able to survive?

A.) In the highly unlikely event that this would occur, we will find another suitable base system to work on top of.

C.) I am glade this is cleared up. But I do question how aware or in-touch Zorin OS team is with Ubuntu team. Either way, Zorin OS team does seem to be optimistic about the future if Zorin OS. This makes me happy. Something that I think can make people run for the hills is instability of any OS's future.

Overall I am very optimistic about Zorin OS, but I would love to see more transparency when it comes to ways of helping the community more. I would also love to see other countries currency's be considered and offered as a means to donation or buy the Ultimate version of Zorin OS.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:33:42 pm

Hi Mythx, I don't need to look at links and I know where you are coming from! If I could redesign this board it would mirror ultimateeditionoz.com/forum. :D

Anonymous

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:37:00 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Mythx, I don't need to look at links and I know where you are coming from! If I could redesign this board it would mirror ultimateeditionoz.com/forum. :D

Make it more cleaner and less brights colors and I would agree. That is a nice forum layout.