This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

edit menu

jack083

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:50:34 pm

Hello I'm new to this forum. But, i have been using Zorin since the first stable release came out.
I 've opened my own software service. So far, I have never had any complaints about my service. But I do get plenty of praise from my ex-windows clients
about the new operating system I introduced and installed on their computers. That OS is Zorin.
I have always pitched Zorin to my clients. I give them the grand tour of the OS and let them decide for themselves. Now some are skeptical at first. I let them know options are always open. I give all skeptical people the option to keep their old windows OS, I offer to install them side by side. And i got to say, that none of my clients use windows except for games or non-critical functions. I explain to them that zorin is free...and that they only pay for the service to install and tweak their operating system. Now that all that is said and done, I woud like to point out a simple but very needed funtion on Zorin 8 that I do see on Zorin 7. Zorin 8 doesn,t have the "Edit Menu" function. This EDIT MENU function is a must!!

This EDIT MENU is a must!! I downloaded a copy of Zorin 8. I went through the standard features check. I noticed that the EDIT MENU function was not available. I called 100 clients and asked what they liked the most about Zorin. I got back a masive reply.
Most people using Zorin Like the following: Not having to restart the computer every time you install a program. , Not needing anti virus service, to be able to change appearances and so on. But, the 70 out of those 100 clients loved and expressed a great interest in the EDIT MENU function. Go figure Ha!

There was alot more features my clients like that only a linux OS can offer, I just didn't mention them all. The Edit MENU stood out the most. I have even tryed to install edit menu to Z8 and it did work. However it didn.t alow you to add new menus. you could add new items. But, only to the catagory "OTHER" you could only install to OTHER. Please put the edit menu back. Thank you so much...!

P.S. Forgive the spelling

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:55:21 pm

Hi jack083, I agree with you 110%! If you want to edit the menu (and not sure if this edits the default Zorin Menu) You will need to add or replace it with 'Yet Another Menu Applet' from within AWN.

Right-click the AWN panel (bottom of screen) and select 'Edit Preferences' then go to the 'Applets' Tab then scroll down until you get to YAMA - drag that to the panel emulator at the bottom of the 'Applets' Tab - you get full Edit function with that - just a pity it is not with the 'main look' - so basically you are going back to a Win2k style Menu - that said, some may prefer it - and you DO get a search box at the top of the menu! :D