This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Program Problems

Aftermass

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:44:54 pm

I have tried the new Zorin OS 8.It might look like Windows 7 or Windows XP.But still remains the problem of programs.Wine still does not recognize windows programs in use,there are always errors and cannot mount errors....for instance: when you try to mount your cell phone threw usb,there is no program for you to be able to mount it to the o/s....I have a Motorola Atrix HD cell phone,and like the Linux o/s,But to make this work,I end up going back to Windows 7,because it will work..Most of every Linux o/s that I have used in the past,was Solaris,Fedora,Linux Mint....there are ways around getting these programs to work.Playonlinux has a few files missing on Zorin,you have to download " Curl" or 7zp.they are not part of the program,but they are needed to run Playonlinux.I will wait until these issues work to change over to Linux os,or I may have to go to Mac,if I want something that acts like Linux,but doesn't feel like Windows...... 8-) :evil: ......I wish Linspire was still working and you could update it.It worked just fine and had no issues.and worked with every windows program....

Aftermass

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:52:56 am

Well that is down to how well Wine can work with certain programs - I have certainly found that 'MSI' packages will not install. The best way to install Windows Apps that work (I even got Gun Metal to run on 8 that I could not run on 6 - just don't get the intro movies :D )

1. Install CD - whatever it is called, create a new folder named exactly as the CD/DVD of the Windows application.

2. Copy ALL of the files from the CD/DVD into the new folder on the dummy C:/ drive in .wine.

3. Could not do this in 8 but could do in 6 - select all files in the new folder, select 'Properties' on right click, then on 'Permissions' tab 'Run as program' in case there are any 'mini executables' needed to get the progam to run/install.

Hope this helps! ;)