This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Persistent for USB

mattwall

Tue May 31, 2011 11:06:45 pm

Hello, is there a way to install Zorin (4 or 5) on USB such that it is persistent? I've tried to use the core iso's with various linux-usb installers with an option for persistent drives, but they've given me no option to add space for persistence on the drive - and thus making the Zorin installation "live only". Just wondering if Zorin wasn't created to be persistant on USB, or if there's a step I'm missing. Thanks for you help in advance!

(Moved from "Installation" group)

mattwall

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30:12 pm

Thanks swarfendor,

I've tried that program that your link suggests, and in fact (contrary to the title of the article), it will not work for "Any Linux OS", instead it will do so for the list of OS's that it contains within the program (which is bountiful nonetheless, but sadly not inclusive of Zorin). I've tried to manipulate it by changing the file name of the Zorin iso (OS 5 and 4) so that it would fit if i selected a OS that was included on the list, to see if it would work - and unsurprisingly it has not.

I've done a little research into the program and apparently there might be a way to create a persistent drive from within any Linux OS by using the terminal and essentially coding a manipulation- but due to my limited terminal experience and short time on hand, I have not gone too far with success. I will try to do more work on it once I get the chance. Thanks again for your post!

Ps: If anyone comes across this with an interest to explore persistence as I am, here's the link that's brought me to what looks like could host some potential hope in (manually) creating a persistent Zorin OS.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-your-own-live-linux-cd-or-usb-distribution/

mattwall

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:08:29 am

"Newer Linux OS" and in fact "older" already attempted, that's actually the only way to put Zorin onto a USB stick, but to no success as far as a persistent option.
I will see about contacting the group that makes the program to see what other options I can explore, in addition to my previous idea.
I have the feeling we will eventually get there- just may take some time!

w2310b

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:09:44 am

Swarfendor - mattwall had the same post in another forum that we had responded to but he decided to start another one here :) I think I deleted it from there (lol I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I did).

Mattwall, just a quick question - have you tried it on a different usb stick? If this doesn't work, I know that if you boot into Ubuntu with a live cd, go to 'create usb boot disk' (I can't recall but it's something similar to that) and then point it to where your zorin iso is, you can load the iso onto usb from there AND it gives a specific persistence option. A long way of doing it but if all else fails....haha

mattwall

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:03:47 pm

w2310b, I remember that feature within Ubuntu - I wasn't sure of an "iso - redirect" (to get Zorin on the USB instead of Ubuntu) but I now have the feeling it may have the same outcome as renaming my Zorin iso as an Ubuntu iso and trying the USB installer software under the Ubuntu selection from the drop-down menu. Nonetheless, its probably an idea that carries the greatest gravity thus far and I will definitely try it.

I'm not sure if using a different usb stick would work, considering that the stick is automatically formatted each time I attempt an installation (I always choose to format) but like I said, two valid ideas that I'll try next time I get the chance!

w2310b

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45:34 pm

No worries - hopefully a solution will present itself soon!