This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sound problem

snydley100

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:43:36 am

I have an Alienware 14 laptop I dual boot Zorin 9 RC and Windows 7 Ultimate. Sometimes when I boot into Zorin I have no sound. Usually I can reboot back into Zorin and will have sound the second time. I always have sound in Windows. Before, in Zorin 8 .1 and before that either ver 7 or 6 the sound worked perfectly 100% of the time. Does anyone else have any sound problems? I wondered if this is a problem with Zorin 9 and my hardware, or if it's a wide spread problem with other computers too.
Thanks,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37:33 am

Hi, Have you fully updated your system after install and followed Wolfman's excellent Post-Install Guide which has a section on sound?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

snydley100

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:02:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Have you fully updated your system after install and followed Wolfman's excellent Post-Install Guide which has a section on sound?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

Thanks for the tips! I had already updated the system, but did it again, then followed the guide but no change, even after rebooting several times. I don't know if this could have anything to do with my sound problems, but when I initially installed Zorin 9 I disabled the startup sound. I couldn't figure out how to enable it again, so I formatted that partition and reinstalled Zorin. I have sound now, but I don't know if it'll be permanent. I'll update this thread if I have any more problems.
Thanks again,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07:46 pm

Hi might be worth PM ing the Admins, AZorin and zorink so that they are aware of the issue before 9 Final is released. :D

snydley100

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:11:49 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi might be worth PM ing the Admins, AZorin and zorink so that they are aware of the issue before 9 Final is released. :D

Yes, I'll do that, because now that I reinstalled Zorin9 and left the startup sound enabled I've had sound every time I boot into Zorin.
Snyde

snydley100

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:00:55 pm

I re-installed Zorin 9 RC 6 days ago, left the startup sound enabled and now all the sound, mp3 playback, youtube videos etc., are working properly.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:58:28 pm

Just to let you know the final release is now available!

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2014/07/15/z ... -released/

snydley100

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36:38 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just to let you know the final release is now available!

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2014/07/15/z ... -released/

I've been updating the RC version since I installed it and am current now. Do I need to install the release version or since I updated the RC version does that bring it up to the release version? If I still need to install it should I boot from the release, format the RC partition and then install it?
Thanks,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:48:06 am

Hi, Take a look at Wolfman's Post-install guide on how to update without losing stuff:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

:D