This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Almost Completely Satisfied.....

davidswe

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43:47 pm

I have played around with various linux distributions over the last five years. Finding Zorin (versions 8 and 9) was like a breath of fresh air. A linux distribution made to approximate a windows-like look with the core stability of linux. (and the inherent security). I love it! I currently dual-boot with windows 8.1 and use linux most of the time. I really want it to be all the time. I have tried in vain to get the one game I play, World of Tanks, to play at a reasonable video level. I have tried every technique I have found posted to get it to work properly. Nothing helps, so far. Gaming is the one thing I can't leave to linux. It is frustrating to be sure. Anyway, no rant intended, just a comment on where I am with Zorin. I will continue to use it for everything except gaming until, hopefully, some answers can be found. Thanks and I welcome any comments.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56:25 am

Hi,

make sure you install the package "mono-complete" (I assume you have istalled your graphics card drivers?.)

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

I know that you wouldn't need all aspects of Mono but it won't hurt to install it fully, I find it helps with my games!.

davidswe

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:39:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, Wolfman. Yes, I have installed the nvidia drivers but I will try the mono-complete package you suggested. I'll let you know how it works out.

davidswe

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:27:15 pm

Well, I tried the mono-complete package Wolfman suggested and I found a setting in the nvidia-settings to boost the video card graphic level. Unfortunately, it still just isn't good enough for recently released, graphic intensive games. So, for now, I will keep my dual-boot setup. Overall, I thoroughly enjoy Zorin 9. (It boots faster than my windows installation!)

madvinegar

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:51:27 pm

davidswe

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:40:00 pm

Thanks Madvinegar for your reply. I have tried various combinations of the aforementioned advice on YouTube, and the WOT forum. It does improve the graphic performance, just not up to Windows levels. In Windows, I can run the game on high graphic setting. In Linux, the best I can do is medium....it is playable but seems somewhat herky-jerky. You would not believe all the ways I've tried to get this to work as well as Windows. (or even close to) I haven't given up. I am still looking for something I haven't tried and someone who has managed to get the game to work on high setting in Linux. Thanks again for your post.