This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Screensaver Still Broken In Zorin 5 Final

craig10x

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:10:27 pm

I'm running the live dvd of Zorin 5 64 bit Final Release....The Google Chrome Icon on the panel now works properly and the compiz images also have been fixed (when you have more then one program running and point to them on the panel)...

I have observed that there is still 2 bugs..
1) The GUFW still does not lock in...you enable it and then when you go into the program again the enable box is unchecked again..
2) Screensaver doesn't work...Let's say you set it to come on in 15 minutes...at 15 minutes the screen starts to go dark (as if the screensaver was about to come on as it normally should) but the instead the display comes back on again instead....

Note to Zorin Team: The GUFW may be a "Natty bug" as i also observed it on Ubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11...
However, the Screensaver not "kicking in" is definitely a Zorin Os specific problem as it does not do that on Ubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11....

Otherwise, it is terrific :) ...unfortunately i can't install it until the kernel power consumption problem is fixed by the kernel developers as i am one of the "lucky ones" that has this problem with any distro running the latest kernel... :roll:

w2310b

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13:33 am

Thanks for the feedback craig10x, glad you're enjoying it otherwise!

spatryx

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:26:51 am

I had this same problem too, but it went away after my computer updated (something to the tune of 48 hours later). I remember someone mentioning this was an issue when OS4 came out on this forum... OS5 Is fantastic, I will be releasing a video to show it off to my friends on Youtube once I get a chance to play around in Ultimate Edition...

Zorin OS ROCKS!!!! Keep up the great work!

craig10x

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:44:20 pm

Thanks for posting that spatryx...great to know it gets corrected with the updates (i couldn't do those of course on the live dvd session to see that)...The only thing preventing me from an actual install of Zorin 5 is that (as i mentioned in other posts) i have to wait until the "power regression" issue of the .38 kernel is resolved with fixes from ubuntu, as unfortunately i am one of the "lucky ones" whose computer is affected by it...I think Zorin 5 is terrific and looks great...Next to Linux Mint it has become one of my favorite linux distros.... :mrgreen:

AZorin

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:30:09 pm

The screensaver does not work in live mode but works perfectly after you install Zorin OS.

craig10x

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:28:36 am

AZorin wrote:The screensaver does not work in live mode but works perfectly after you install Zorin OS.

Ahhh...thanks for that post AZorin! By the way Zorin 5 is OUTSTANDING and really attractive as well...I can see you put a tremendous amount of "thought" into it...Good to know the screensaver works fine when Zorin 5 is actually installed...

I'm looking forward to installing it...that is if the kernel developer's and ubuntu ever sends down a fix patch for that darn power regression bug (which unfortunately as i previously mentioned definitely affects my laptop and which is why i currently can't install any distro with the .38 kernel)...

Sure i could currently install Zorin 4 with no worries (since it uses kernel .37) but i REALLY WANT Zorin 5 so i guess i will need to be patient.

Nothing you can personally do about that of course...but thanks for the response, i am sure that will "relieve" anyone concerned about the bug who is going to install it... :)

tjlthree

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:09:47 pm

I have been using 64bit ver 5 final for about a month or so and the screensaver is still broken. I have done updates daily and it hasn't worked yet. Any help would be appreciated. The only other issue I have is audio is out of sync when I watch a movie whether I use vlc or movie player.

Otherwise, this version rocks.

Ozviking

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10:14 am

Just manage to get my screensaver to work in Zorin 5.

Step 1

Open the terminal and enter the following code to remove Gnome Screensaver

sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver

Step 2

Open Administration -> System Monitor and find the process “gnome-screensaver” and end it

Step 3

Install xscreensaver, type the following in the terminal

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver rss-glx xscreensaver-gl xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl-extra xscreensaver-data-extra

Step 4

Open Preferences- > Screensaver,when prompted to start xscreensaver daemon, allow it.

Works a treat

From Oz down under :D

Billy

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:38:26 am

Thanks OZ.

I did what you did thru Software Center-system. It works now but I lost the pic slideshow feature.

Also go to preferences-startup apps. Add. For "command" browse file system- /usr/bin/xscreensaver, open,add.
This makes it start with every boot.

Then open preferences-screensaver once to load your preferences with each boot.

I don't know how to run terminal.

I think that Zorin is great. Eventually windows could be history.

Ozviking

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:49:36 am

You can get that from GLSlideshow under display modes and add what ever pic you like, but I could't change the folder to get the pic from just add/remove what's in the default folder (/usr/share/backgrounds)
My screensaver works fine, but when it has been on for a while the computer goes a bit funny....slow and unresponsive for a few minutes then back to normal.
Anyone with the same problem?

Ozviking

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40:33 am

I have had NO problems with the screensaver sins I stop using GLtext, all works just perfect !!!

radwasrad

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:08:15 am

This one, Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:09 pm, and Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:14 pm - they're just not that helpful n make me look like a ****! Will post again saying both Oz n Billy gave good advise... If it's hard tho just flag it bud :P