This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Zorin OS 9

billshoff

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:57:20 pm

Dell GX 260
Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 Gig
2 gigs ram
Seagate 160 GB, 5400rpm HD

I have an old Dell desktop that I thought would be a good candidate for Zorin 9, 32-bit. It took 30 min. to load but everything works. Unfortunately it is terribly slow so I guess I need to install the Lite version. It boots slowly and the graphics are painfully slow.My question is this: what do I need to do to make Zorin usable? Would another version be better...maybe Zorin 8? Would an AGP graphics card help enough to make it worthwhile? I'm currently using the built-in graphics with 8 mg of shared memory.
PS- I have already logged out, clicked the Z and changed the graphics setting.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:37:42 am

Hi, see if this speeds things up - Uncheck all animations in CompizConfig Settings Manager (Menu | System Tools | Preferences) - you may want to uncheck other things in their as well - might improve things - also check if there are any unnecessary applications in 'Startup Applications' - not on my Zorin rig - at work - just enter startup in the Win7 search bar of the menu to find it! :D

billshoff

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:39:49 pm

OK, I've turned off "Animations" but nothing else. I don't feel comfortable turning anything else off because I don't understand a lot of the titles on that screen. I also moved Google Chrome from the desktop to the taskbar.
My screen changed and I got an error message:
1) the task bar at the bottom of the screen disappeared, and...
2) an error message said the Zorin 9 had detected an error. I clicked "more info" but nothing ever came up to tell me what the problem is. I did send the error report to Zorin.
Since I couldn't see the task bar, I couldn't click the "start" button to reboot. I quickly pushed the power button on the Dell and a window appeared that allowed me to shut down. Any ideas about what's going on here?
I tried to download Zorin 9 Lite last night (on a different pc) but the download never started; I tried 4 different sites.
Bill

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:55:35 pm

Hi, try booting Zorin 9 core into 'safe mode' - that's the second item on GRUB menu and 'advanced' boot - please make sure you have a wired connection to the internet if possible. When you get to the options menu, choose 'dpkg' - it should check for any missing dependencies. After it has completed, don't click on resume/continue but do a reboot.

As for Lite did you try downloading from here?:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/9/

billshoff

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:34:40 pm

The Dell locked up in safe mode, but.....Zorin 9 Lite runs great. Thx!

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:40:04 pm

Glad you got sorted in the end - have marked this thread as [RESOLVED] as we did not get 9 Core to run! :D