This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Feedback on first experiences

bushfilm

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:44:53 pm

Hi all. I am new to Linux, just barely "fluent" in Windows, so making the change from Windows 7 to Zorin 9 is proving to be more daunting that I first thought. I installed Zorin 9 LIte on an old netbook I had, and it worked great, so I thought I would explore a dual boot system on a desktop, using Zorin 9 and Windows 7 Home Premium. Not so good here. Nothing but problems with internet/network connections, difficulties in booting up (doesn't ask me if I want Zorin or Windows, just boots to Zorin) and problems with acquiring and using simple stuff like Google Chrome. I think if Zorin (and Linux) are going to get a bigger share of the user base, then things will have to be made more simple, like in Windows. Most people just want something they can use without too much fuss, and get a job done. Please realize this is just my two cents worth. :) Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:45:30 pm

If you are intending to dual-boot, follow my video tutorial here:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

If you have a Windows Disc I would try and boot from that and 'repair' Windows to recover it - if you know a friend who has the same OS as you ask if they can create a Repair Disc for you - you could repair your boot loader with that - when Zorin boots - do you see a menu entry for Windows?

Wolfman

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04:46 am

Hi,

did you also read the replies here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8809