This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin-OS 9.x - Who'd want to buy it???

SphincterMuscle

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:45:01 pm

Zorin-OS 9.x. I have installed this three times. I get everything set up the way I want, and the next day the task bar disappears. I have broused through the other posts, and I see that I am not the only one with this problem, so I know it is not me. I started using Zorin at 5.x. It was a good system. If the free/trial version doesn't work correctly, WHY would anyone want to PAY for a supposedly "ULTIMATE" version, when there's no support for that either? I'm glad I have two hard drives and MICROSOFT WINDOWS on the 2nd drive. At least it is stable, boots everytime with the task/menu bar.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:45:01 pm

Hi,

when you created your disk/USB stick, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Did you do a full system update?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Did you read the section about AWN here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

SphincterMuscle

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:55:13 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

when you created your disk/USB stick, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Did you do a full system update?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Did you read the section about AWN here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

I have found a work-around or solution to this.

on the login dialog box, top right corner click on the Zorin logo. Another menu drops down. I clicked on the top [Gnome "flashback" Compiz] option. This seems to work on my desktop (I have my desktop configured as a gnome desktop), but it did not work on my wife's laptop. The task bar on my wife's laptop displays (any mode), but the name/date/time app/icons do not show.

I also do not know if this will cause any degredation in performance/functionality.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:51:11 pm

Have you also tried 'Zorin (no effects)'? If it is not there when you click on the 'cog' then you have a corrupt install. You may also like to install Cairo-Dock which you can get a similar look to Zorin:

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

SphincterMuscle

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:44:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you also tried 'Zorin (no effects)'? If it is not there when you click on the 'cog' then you have a corrupt install. You may also like to install Cairo-Dock which you can get a similar look to Zorin:

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

I have tried them all. If I remember correctly, with the no effects choice, I lose compiz also. I have looked at Cairo. It is nice, but I am just discussing the out of the box install. I can understand a corrupt install [once], I have had it happen a couple of times in the last 20+ years with Windows, but three times with Zorin and within a month? It seems that with the level of technology and expectations of customers for a product to work as stated, they should have tested everything better, and it is not only me that has had this problem, so I know that it is not "me" that is doing something wrong. But with the work around I have used, everything seems to be working on my desktop. My wife'slaptop, the taskbar displays, but the clock/date/name doesn't display. The wireles signal and the language [icon] display, but that is all that displays on the right side. I wish I knew how and if I could edit some file to get the time/date/name to display.

I am new to Linux. I have only been [playing] with various distros for about 6 years now. I really like the Zorin distro and want to continue with "IT", but as long as Zorin and Linux as a whole are quirky, I am keeping my copy of Windows on my computer as well.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:59:44 pm

I don't have an issue with that at all. Zorin are trying to 'brand' it - I am of the old brigade - ok, give a distro a moniker but let people play - that is how they learn! :D

Now with all the talk of Windows 10 being 'free' we need to think carefully about what we mean by the word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3uX5XwdN_8

www.stallman.org - not just free software! ;)