This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin task bar network icon misbehaving.

steve9steve9

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:56:44 pm

Zorin 9 64 and 32 bit has been installed on several desktop ddr2 and ddr3 ram memory dual core desktop computers. I noticed 32 bit more than 64 bit to have network icon failures. On start up, the network icon next to the volume/mute icon on the task bar fails to appear. In order to turn on the internet I need to restart the computer. It seems to depend on the age of the computer and or the ram speed whether the problem happens many times 1 in 10 starts or very few times 1 in 100 starts. I notice the more speed the ram has the fewer occasions the icon fails to appear.
Sometimes on clicking on the network icon, the mobile broadband connection appears in a small window while other times the broadband network connection appears in a full size window.
Zorin 6.1 installed on desktops, the network icon often when clicked to gain access to connect to the Internet, the window drops down behind the task bar 1 in 10 clicks. The only way to access the network window is to place the task bar on top of the monitor. Only than can access to the network be obtained. Placing the task bar at the bottom allows the network window to rise as designed.
Other than those network problems I find Zorin to be perfect.
The LibreOffice spell checking spaces between words I find annoying. movies is movie s. Many "S" at the end of words have a space where a space shouldn't be.
I wouldn't use Microsoft windows on the Internet after using Zorin.
Zorin 6.1, LibreOffice writer on full size monitor, the lower part of the writer window is covered by the task bar.
I Would like to recommend Zorin to people I know, yet I would have to tell them of the minor problems. Most people aren't patient listeners.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:16:34 pm

Hi, I think this is in part due to issues with AWN and indicator3-applet - Install Cairo-Dock DE and choose that and you should not have any issues - apart from the fact you should not be running 6.1 or any other version of Zorin apart from Zorin 9 and Zorin 9 Lite!:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267