This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

One for the devs ...

Obsidian1723

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:17:56 pm

swarfendor437, Sorry to hear all of that. I ran Non-LTSes without issue before, but then other people had them, or I had issues and they haven't. For example, I ran Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop, upgraded to 9.10 and it was all borked up and didn't work. (This was before I learned to only use the LTS versions), so I do feel for you and your own situation, as I've been there myself. While I am not a Developer for anyone, including Zorin OS, I would recommend looking at any bug reports and issues regarding these trouble areas for you....specifically, look at the bug reports for Ubuntu. It's very posssible that the issues started there and have been forked over to Zorin OS.

I'm not sure how much coding is put into Zorin OS. I know the Look Changer has been added, but otherwise, are they just talking regular Ubuntu and adding a little bit of code to it or a ton of code? I don't know. As I mentioned before in another post, you can easily add/remove applications, tweak some settings and then roll that all up into an ISO calling it a "distro" without adding a single line of original code. Obviously Zorin OS DOES contaion some code (ala Look Changer), but how much code, would be very important to know. IF no code is added for these areas in which you are having issues, then I'd say looking only to the Ubuntu bug reports is the way to go. IF Zorin OS adds code for audio and these other areas, then look still to Ubuntu, but then also to the Devs of Zorin OS.

So my question to the Zorin OS Devs is: How much code do you add? and Where do you add it at?

Wolfman

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:21:37 pm

I found that with Pulse audio and in particular Skype, if you install the package "libsox-fmt-all"; the chances of it not working are greatly reduced.

Another factor is to take care with the sound manager setting and not let Skype have control over them, this can switch off or reduce the mic volume levels without you realizing it!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:03:53 pm

Just a pic to point out to everyone what I mean by the Skype sound setting, don't leave a tick in the box:
"Allow Skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels".

Regards Wolfman :D

Options_001.jpeg
Options_001.jpeg (128.58 KiB)