This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Suggestions for Zorin 10 "Core"

nonso392

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:24:31 pm

I have been very impressed with how Compiz works in your default configuration and generally like the layout of the desktop. Some things I have begun to notice that hopefully may be added or corrected in the NEXT version:

Make it easier to actually enlarge the panel icons (clock, speaker, power, etc) from it's default.

Some shortcut application ICONS cannot be placed or EASILY placed into the main panel.

Can you possibly add a better launcher so you can easily see all the apps at once...something like Slingscold.

Maybe better USB support in the area of image writing and formatting....something like Mintstick.

Lastly, make sure you have a CURRENT manual of all new changes and how to configure them.

Thanks,
T

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:09:17 pm

nonso392 wrote:I have been very impressed with how Compiz works in your default configuration and generally like the layout of the desktop. Some things I have begun to notice that hopefully may be added or corrected in the NEXT version:

Hi, I am not a dev just a volunteer but will attempt to address the points you have raised from my own personal experience with Zorin and other distros

Make it easier to actually enlarge the panel icons (clock, speaker, power, etc) from it's default.

It is basically two clicks away to change this by right-clicking the panel and selecting preferences then using the up/down arrow against the panel size - this is because Zorin uses AWN - if it used a different panel the settings would of course be different - for example LXLE uses a simple drag function if memory serves me correctly - or it might have been the KDE desktop of NetRunner - the issue of resizing in Zorin cannot be addressed unless the Developers who are now running the Avant Window Navigator project make such changes

Some shortcut application ICONS cannot be placed or EASILY placed into the main panel.

If for any reason you are talking about WINE icons, this is not possible period for any GNU/Linux distribution due to the nature of WINE - you should be able to pin an application once it has launched usually - can't double check this as messing around with Windows 10!

Can you possibly add a better launcher so you can easily see all the apps at once...something like Slingscold.

Not looked at the Mac desktop but this used to be present in the Mac Look of Zorin which you only get if you buy Ultimate and free if you download the Educational version

Maybe better USB support in the area of image writing and formatting....something like Mintstick.

Not sure what you mean by image writing, if you mean .iso's then there can only ever be one in my book and that is MultiSystem! :D

Lastly, make sure you have a CURRENT manual of all new changes and how to configure them.

I started creating an unofficial manual for 6 with the intention of making one for 9 - thankfully GEWB came to my rescue and has done an excellent job - you may also want to take a look at my channels on veoh.com and vimeo.com :D

Thanks,
T

nonso392

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:43:06 pm

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!

Wolfman

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15:02 am

Many issues covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

It isn't complete but if you have further questions, feel free to post them on the help & support section of the forum!. :D