This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Better Than Mint

mdiemer

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:41:48 pm

After giving three different flavors of Mint a long trial, I have concluded that Zorin works better for me. Mint Mate won't recognize my audio device. Cinnamon is resource heavy. Xfce is more stable, but slow. Zorin beats them all. The next GNU/Linux I'm going to try is Makulu Aero, now that it is live. If I like it, then Zorin and Makulu will be my Linux systems. This is a fantastic OS! Great work by the devs, and this forum!

OzAussie

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:52:40 am

I've tried quite a few Linux Distros and I've found Zorin to be the best and easiest to use.

James tobin

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:03:12 pm

me too :)

rbianco3

Mon May 30, 2016 10:33:39 am

OzAussie wrote:I've tried quite a few Linux Distros and I've found Zorin to be the best and easiest to use.

Ditto Here! I'm actually on my Windows 10 computer right now but I dual-booted the machine for Windows 10 and Zorin. The installation went near flawlessly - compared to Windows installations I'd say this went much faster and smoother but there was one challenge with one of my wireless devices. I've installed at least two dozen linux distros over the last ten years and most disappointed me or left me bored after a few hours. The only exception is Tails, which is a live cd, I just love Tails for what it is and does.

The Hands-Down Best Linux Distro I've Tried In 10 Years Is . . . drumroll please. . . Zorin11

Zorin 11 was THE FIRST linux distro that I've enjoyed enough to actually use as a primary computer for more than one day-- and actually love it. I had a very minor issue, my WNA3100 wireless doesn't play well with linux most distros fail with it. I put in a cheap old Trendnet N150 into the USB and viola, Zorin 11 worked perfectly after the install.

I'm talking a beautiful operating system that is easier to use than Windows but has some of Windows features making learning it easier. The only challenge I had was knowing where some of the networking settings windows were located, Windows has all 'settings' type stuff conveniently accessible from the control panel but Linux felt less organized. This is total nit-picking because I can't think of any other negatives about Zorin 11.

I absolutely LOVED the suggested words popping up in the Libre Office that was pretty cool and I'm a fast typist so this can make me even faster. I loved the disk utilities and partitioning utilities, you can look at so much more detailed information on a linux vs Windows. The package management and application center were easy to use, the latter very much so. I enjoyed the fact you can initiate dozens of installations that queue up and run auto-magically without being prompted for stupid things, acknowledging downloads, when you say install - you get an installation like on your Android or Apple phone. Of course Windows has their application center which was easy but I found the quality/quantity of the software to be lacking.

To the Zorin team - keep up the good work. Stay focused and whatever you've been doing - keep doing it! Outstanding job. Zorin is my new primary use computer and I'll have my Win 10 as an available boot but don't see much need in using it anymore - I was getting tired of the automatic turn-on's and installations that seemed hard to control. Overall I've been trying to get away from the spying just out of principle. I have nothing to hide, but I DO understand how this power can be used to manipulate, corrupt and black-mail anyone into doing anything. This power needs to be removed - I'm not sure linux helps the case much but it might.

OH, to answer the question, "YES, I think Zorin is the schitt, Mint was pretty cool but Zorin looks and feels years ahead, also I had major issues getting wireless to work on Mint.

Regards,
:D Rich Bianco (aka DisplacedGuy)