This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Out dated s/w on S/W Center

Freeatlast

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:50:36 pm

Why do I find so much outdated s/w on the software center? Something as simple as Calibre. Getting something like that updated is going to stop a new user (non-linux user) cold in their tracks as there is no easy/obvious way to install the updated s/w. And THAT is key to more people using this otherwise great OS.

I kindly suggest (I'm serious in the "kindly" part) that whoever is in charge of Zorin product marketing watch the Balmer "Developers" video and contemplate why that was THE key to MS completely dominating the OS space. I'll tell ya, with the technical quality of this product COMBINED with that philosophy & product marketing input into the design, there would be a LOT more users.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:15:31 pm

Well lets get things straight - software centre/er is really just ubuntu themed with Zorin from what I can tell - and it is inappropriate to compare Zorin against Balmer - look at the $M at their disposal and large number of Devs - Zorin is based on two brothers and two devs - so in many ways superior to overpriced Windows. ;) :D :P

Freeatlast

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:43:50 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well lets get things straight - software centre/er is really just ubuntu themed with Zorin from what I can tell - and it is inappropriate to compare Zorin against Balmer - look at the $M at their disposal and large number of Devs - Zorin is based on two brothers and two devs - so in many ways superior to overpriced Windows. ;) :D :P

Umm, I'm not making a LITERAL comparison. I am making a business analogy. Pointing to a strategy that any OS has to go through to be successful. It doesn't take $. It takes, in the case of ZORIN, programmed that allows EASY (for a complete newbie) downloading and installing/managing 3rd party software. Linux already has developers obviously that make free s/w.

I'm sorry, this is a conversation better had with someone who has appropriate business experience. It isn't a technical issue you can help with.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51:50 am

I never stated it was technical! For any business to be "successful" needs substantial financial backing, even poor quality businesses can go far if they throw money at it. You also have to be aware that different OS's have different software management because of the underlying OS framework. You couldn't utilise YUM on Ubuntu or Debian. And for what it's worth I qualified with HND in business studies (Finance), Associateship in Company Administration, and Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators, and NEBOSH Certificate in Health and Safety. :roll: :P