This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 Lite

ian4238

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01:50 am

I have Zorin 9 Lite installed on my notebook (Acer Aspire1410- 11.5" HDD 160GB), and have been using it travelling for past month. The choice of only WIN2000 or IOS desktop in terrible. Have tried noobslab-themes but it does not install.
The Start Menu is too small to read easily. Have even looked at Mint XFCE again, but Zorin Lite is better for me. Is there no way to get a WIN 7 start menu? Perhaps I should change the OS to Zorin Core? I have Zorin Ultimate on my desktop.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:49:53 am

I have searched for a similar question raised on Lubunutu and the only solution offered there is to install xfce to replace lxde to enable win7 xfce plugin but do so AT YOUR OWN RISK!

As for putting Core/Ultimate - make sure that if the processor in the notebook is 32-bit you will need the 32-bit version. ;) :D

Try your disc in live mode on your notebook or if no DVD drive, use an external DVD/optical drive or create a live usb using Multisystem:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

ian4238

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:01:53 am

Thanks for the advice. Changing LXDE to XFCE is too complicated for me.
I think Zorin Lite is the best system overall for a perhaps basic spec notebook. My only complaint against it is the Start Menu choice.
Looking at Linux Lite recently (XFCE - 16.04) I see one has to go to Power Manager to see battery status (in Zorin Lite one can mouse over the icon in the bottom panel for immediate info. Running live, Zorin Core seems a little slow.
I may install both Core and Linux Lite to compare startup and shutdown times, plus battery charge left after 30minutes use, and temperature/cooling etc. It seems a good time to do this before Zorin 12 arrives.