This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

The Wait Has Been More Than Worth It!

crazyporscheman

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:54:11 pm

Well, Zorin 12 is finally here in Beta form and all I can say is "Wow!".

For me personally, having the DE of the new release based on Gnome-Shell is just plain, absolutely awesome!

I have been a steadfast user and supporter of the Gnome-Shell for some time now as it just plain works for me. With the other themes included, it will work out tremendously for the end users of the machines I refurbish and give away as the out of the box theme will be familiar to folks.

On a side note - I got to the new install early this morning using my 3 year old HP laptop and all went very well. I got 12 installed (with Full Disk Encryption), switched to the "standard" Gnome 3 theme, downloaded Gnome Tweak Tool, added my usual extensions, added Chrome as well as a few other packages and BANG! I have an awesome looking, well behaving OS that seems to be as stable as a rock thus far!

Hats off to the Zorin Team for what appears to be another great job! It's a little early in the game with the release only being Beta but as in the past I'm confident that the release will be just as good if not better once the stable release hits.

Thanks Team Zorin!
Tim

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:49:07 pm

Hi, I think it will split some people off from Zorin - certainly if customisation is to be as limited as it appears to be - once people have explored, despite lovely looking apps like Maps and Weather, at the end of the day, Free Software is about the end user being able to do what they want to do with the OS, including its DE! "Different Strokes, for different folks!"
I'm going to be taking a look from where I came from now that Ultimate Edition 5 Lite is out (Mate version and xfce version). :D

Gary

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:03:13 am

I think it's awesome+ Unfortunately my Zorin 11 just broke yesterday on my other machine. I suspect that if I install the beta, I will need to reinstall the stable version again when it comes out and there's no way to update. Am I right?

I was thinking of switching from Zorin to Ubuntu KDE because I like that very much but Zorin 12 looks even better!

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:02:45 pm

Hi, I suspect you will need to remove Beta to install new one - just backup any data or better still, save to external device/partition/2nd drive if available then just overwrite existing partitions with stable release. ;) :D