This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin12 menu editing possibilities?

WinX_Refugee

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:39:37 am

I understand that this question probably cannot be definitively answered until after the release of Zorin12, but I'm interested in whether there is any likelihood of being able to edit the main menu(s).

Currently I'm using Win7 with Classic Start Menu, which allows me to set up XP-like menus -- specifically for the purpose of accessing my most-used apps in 2-3 keystrokes:
1. Main menu,
2. Apps and Submenus, and
3. Apps and some further Submenus.
All are activated with a single keystroke -- I name all entries with an eye to allowing this.

I think I saw that Zorin12 has menu items each with an underlined letter that can be pressed on the keyboard (yay!) -- so is there a tweak that might allow me to set up my own categories/submenus and items? I like to reduce keystrokes to a minimum -- within the graphical interface. ;)

crazyporscheman

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16:02 am

Hey WinX_Refugee,

In reading your question, I think what you may be looking for is Alacarte and it available via Software or the command line.

In Software, search for Alacarte. The actual name in Software is "Main Menu". You can install it from there.

Or, fire up your terminal and type in:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

Enter your password, hit 'Y' to install and let it install.

Once installed you can find it under 'System Tools' listed as 'Main Menu'.

One note - If you changed the layout of Zorin 12 to the standard Gnome desktop (the one with the clock at the top of screen) you can navigate to it by going to your Activities Overview then scrolling down to Sundry where it can be found.

Hope this helps you out!
Tim

WinX_Refugee

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:59:09 am

Thanks for the info, Tim! Alacarte does look promising from what I can find about it, so I've pasted your instructions into my little Notepad file of things to do when I install Zorin 12. It'll be dual-boot to start with, until I've figured out how to do everything I need/want to do in Zorin -- taking it slowly and carefully -- yeah, right -- I generally jump in with both feet (but I HAVE learned all about the value of images/backups). :lol:

With everything that's out there, I'm unsure what will and won't mess up Zorin. It's beginning to look like I may be able to customize it a fair amount, which can be a lot of fun -- like turning a new house into a home. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:01:30 am

What you need to be aware of is that adding icons to the panel in 12 has changed - to add an application that you open and the icon appears in the panel, right-click it and select 'Add to Favourites' - Basically the panel becomes a 'Favourites/Favorites bar' - a bit like having your browser on the desktop! ;) :D

WinX_Refugee

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:32:55 pm

Thanks Swarf -- I figured there would be changes, so I'll wait a bit after the release. I'll run a live CD first, to get a bit familiar with it and wait to see if the instructions re installation, Win7 dual-boot, etc. are updated and differ from those for 9. As impatient as I am to get started, I want the initial install process to go well -- I already know that 9 finds my hardware, but will double-check that with 12, as well, to be sure I have info at the ready, should I need it. ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:51:46 pm

To keep your Windows install intact until you are ready to jump follow my tutorial video here

https://vimeo.com/110085401

WinX_Refugee

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04:56 am

I took a look at that, as well, Swarf, thanks -- good work! I tend to absorb more from text that I can study and refer to during the process, though, so I've also copied your stickied instructions for setting up Zorin 9 with a Win7 dual boot into my ever-lengthening, ever-reordered notes, and I think I have things pretty much ready to go for that adventure, assuming the basics are the same for 12 -- but I'll be waiting to see if there are differences before I jump. While I do tend to jump in with both feet, I like to make sure I can at least dog-paddle! :lol: