My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby star treker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 am

Using outdated versions just means you don't get security updates anymore big deal. Secure your computer, your network, and your fine.

Swarf, I see you are discovering the wonders and beauties of Makulu. ;) I fell in love with it so much I had to stop doing VB, and use Etcher to put Makulu on my flash drive, and I got it booted over the flash drive using USB 3.0, and the drive memory itself is fast too in teh reads, no not as much as an SSD, thats impossible! LOL But fast enough. I love how much of it I can customize, and I love the true Windows look, and the ability to choose your version of Windows you want is a big plus. The OS has been running rock stable for a Beta release and I am just tickled by that. I have gotten in touch with the developer and this is what he said recently.

"Hey guys, just to let you know, i am still working on the new beta build, making progress, hope to have some positive news in the next few days :D Having some issues implementing a new kernel into the build, so just working through that, progress is being made :D "

So its clear that if he can overcome the kernal issue, he might just have some news for us, that may or may not be the soon to be full release coming out. I am really hoping so, because let me tell you something Swarf, my Zorin Os is vomit now. If I reboot the computer, Zorin resets my sound output to speakers from HDMI where it should be. When I go to login, the screen blanks, and power is lost to the external keyboard, which requires opening notebook lid, and hitting a key, to fire things up after logging in, then its good.

I gave Zorin a good run, no one could say I didn't, but its just not working out. I have better luck running this beta release. Now I have heard bad news about the Nvidia drivers, big surprise right? lol But hopefully if he can get his full release worked out to be compatible with Nvidia drivers, I can get my gaming notebook back online at full performance. But for right now with default drivers, I will say I am totally in love with Makulu.

Perhaps this is the compitition Zorin needs to do a better job? Cause IMO Gnome shell is a complete failure. Its why you both are talking about going back to Zorin 11. ;)
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby MBMz10 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:48 pm

I sort of thought that Zorin was heading in certain direction, progressing and moving towards that end. But as we know it changed overnight to something new and different.
Just like a relationship that has a radical change, implications are pending. Sometimes for the best even though it might be hard to see that for the 'other' person. Guess we are the other person in this case.
Growth is inevitable for both parties, confusion despair and whatever else follows. I think I am over dramatizing the whole thing but the process is about the same.

I re-installed the LinDoz beta today (test rig), just a little to much stuff going on for me but to each their own I guess.
Not sure what I am going to do at this stage but still have Zorin 12 on my little 'daily driver' , Zorin 9 on my test/work machine (damn its awesome), Linux Mint Mate 18.1 (and Win 10 in UEFI mode) on the 'main PC' because Compiz and Cairo Dock work with it. Linux Mint 18 xfce and Win 10 (dual boot) on my laptop, it just works. I did use to have Zorin on everything...

The main PC is my main issue, what to do with it, time will tell I guess. Don't like to muck with it to much as UEFI is, well, if you have used it you will know.

Ga Nome Shell, yer. Yep that's why I am talking about options. Just clunky and tedious, I'm tolerating it ATM but not really that happy with it, just the 'looks' keeping me going!

If LinDoz is working for you and looks like a final release out soon then more power to you I guess. Maybe I play with it a bit more and see. I don't use Zorin for the "Windows" compatibility but because it looks so good and works the way I like my OS to work, well until OS 12 that is. Also I have been surprised at just how well earlier (9, 10 & 11) versions of Zorin have performed and been able to do all the things that I wanted to do. Often I thought that 'Zorin' won't to such and such, I'll need some Arch based or fully fledged Linux distro for that but no Zorin has just amazed me so far. It is no toy OS that's for sure.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
MBMz10

Postby star treker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Thankyou for taking the time to share with us your opinions based on your usage. I do agree that as long as Zorin is not crashing, and its doing everything you need it to do, there is no need to change. It takes work installing a new OS, then installing the apps you need, then configurating everything. There is no need to do all that if things are setup how you like it. ;) I am only doing this because things are not working out for me, and my usage requirement of an OS goes beyond the general use of a computer, I have higher demands that have to be met, one of them is Nvidia drivers, another is Windows software compatibility, and yes Lindoz does come with Wine already installed but I haven't messed with it yet. Al the ability to change my Windows theming is just out of this park awesome :D

Don't get me wrong, Zorin has got its fine points too, I really like Zorin's integration of the accessibility tool. Truthfully though, I was on the fence with the Gnome Shell in the very beginning, you can read my reviews on it to see that is true, but now I have experienced it more then enough to come to a conclusion that GS is just terrible. I understand that some sacrifices had to be made to achieve their goal, but its IMO that the wrong sacrifices were made. ;)

Swarf! :D It would make me really happy if you joined the Cup Of Linux community, it be nice to have conversations with you there, and you certainly are quite knowledgeable on Linux, that you could help out many people there. And besides, your such a helpful and nice person, you'd be an asset to the community. And I am also a new member on a new site that was built, if he decides to tell you guys about it, then I'd sure love to have you there as well. But out of respect for him, I am letting him make the choice to tell you guys all about it. ;)

And the latest update for those interested from Jack, newer computers require the latest kernal, and the latest kernal is not playing nice with the Constructor tool. He's been in contact with the developer of that software and they said they are having the same problems. If those problems can be resolved, it looks like we have a full release upon us. :D
star treker

Postby Swarfendor437 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 am

Hi, my makulu beta went west yesterday with the fateful apt error reported on other distros which basically removes everything - I can't find the links now but after running dpkg in Beta as it was stalling at bootsplash instead of getting Y/N at end of process was asked to enter a phrase something like 'Yes, I agree to everthing' which basically removes the entire system. Some sort of apt error.

Just done a screencast of SolydXK star treker - the firewall there has the Samba (CIFS) exception already present in the firewall! - Will be posting stills of welcome screen etc in 'Other OS' Discussion Board. :D
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 X1700 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia Graphics GT620 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby star treker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:36 am

Thankyou Swarf for being such a valued member of the community. :)

I am sorry to hear you ran into such a dangerious glitch, I thankfully have not run into that, probably cause I haven't installed any software manually yet. Remember it is in BETA. So I am sure the full release will be more reliable then that. I always appreciate your screenshots, as they give me context as to what your doing, and what errors you might be getting. It be nice to get you in the Zorin IRC chatroom, or the Makululinux chatroom. Be great to have conversations if you had the time. ;)

Alright keep doing what your doing ;)
star treker

Postby Lin66 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:11 am

star treker wrote:Swarf! :D It would make me really happy if you joined the Cup Of Linux community, it be nice to have conversations with you there, and you certainly are quite knowledgeable on Linux, that you could help out many people there. And besides, your such a helpful and nice person, you'd be an asset to the community. And I am also a new member on a new site that was built, if he decides to tell you guys about it, then I'd sure love to have you there as well. But out of respect for him, I am letting him make the choice to tell you guys all about it. ;)

Unfortunately the strictest policies I ever seen about "commercial" sites I am not even allowed to put in my signatures. It is the most insane policies I had ever seen on a board but it's their resources not my.
Lin66

Postby MBMz10 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 pm

At this stage I have 'pulled' the Zorin 12 image from the machine and put Mint 18 xfce image that I was using back on it. Zorin 11 was on it but as support had ended sometime before the new edition (12) was released Mint went on
I fresh installed Zorin 11 back onto my test rig and I just sat there admiring it, the dreaded AWN indicator 3 issue was no where to be seen. This PC also has Zorin 12 core, Makulu LinDoz Beta, Solydk and whatever else on it.

I wasn't/aren't a Zorin user for the Windows look/compatibility, infact I have never really thought that it looks or behaves like windows myself. I started my Linux experience with Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon and thought it looked and felt rather like Windows with a different theme on it but each to there own I guess. Then discovered Zorin 8, with COMPIZ and wow I was hooked. It crashed a lot on me but OS 9 soon arrived and I got the Ultimate version that is still on the SSD in my test/work rig.

I had posted some Zorin 12 videos on YouTube and together with some of the issues that I've seen on here got me thinking. Simple things like putting a shortcut on the desktop just too hard for the average or new new Linux user. The bugs with Gnome extensions no right clicking or dragging from the menu, how is this like "Windows"? Has Zorin lost its way/identity?

I was never a Gnome fan or Unity for that matter and this has kinda solidified that for me. Guess I'll just use Mint and hope Zorin returns from the darkness with lucky OS 13, or maybe OS 12.1 Compiz edition...lol
MBMz10

Postby star treker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 am

Thankyou so much for telling it like it is MBMz10, I really appreciate your thoughts, experience, and written review. Ya, I think Zorin has lost their way, but you know, this might be the kind of thing that Zorin needs to remind them to do better.

BTW what does your username stand for? I was thinking it was something like Motherboard Memory Zorin OS 10 hehe :D
star treker

Postby MBMz10 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 am

When I joined the Zorin forum your asked for a username and password etc. I had just got my Mint Box Mini and Zorin 10 had just came out so your on the money almost. It is a mini PC, my 'daily driver'. Runs on the smell of an electron or proton or something, 4.5 watts but need to crank it all the way up to 8.5 watts to get it going. Bit slow compared to my i5 6600k (around 140 watts) or the old 'test rig' dual core @3.0GHz (170 watts) but still fine to use and can leave it running all day or use it to do mass downloads overnight without sucking up to much juice! This was also my opportunity to 'donate' something back to the Linux Mint Team who got me my start with Linux.

And yes these are just my thoughts, Zorin are free to do what they want just as we are also, that is 'open source' freedom at its best. I still want the 12.1 Compiz version though...
MBMz10

Postby star treker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 pm

I think there is a bit of confusion here. I never asked you for your username or password, that would be a security breech and just plane stupid. I asked what your username stood for, thats all.

For example, mine is Star Treker, this has two meanings. First it means that I am a Star Trek fan, which was probably obvious to everyone who has seen my username lol. I am also an explorer, and so it would be a dream for me to navigate the stars, hence, treker lol.

Have a truly wonderful day, and remember, don't do **** ;)
star treker

PreviousNext

Return to Chat about Zorin OS